+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simon's Credibility

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar

Simon's Credibility

After listening to Il Divo (and seeing them on Oprah) I am wondering about Simon's credibility. In the past few years he has:

- produced "cupid" - an inane dating show that was not renewed beyond it's first run

-produced Il Divo - a quartet of tremendously talented men. I wonder, however, who is he thinking is going to be their market? The Josh Groban fan set, perhaps. Their style is too sophisticated and mature than the pop market will support. I think his decision to put this group together and have them sing in languages other than english reflects Simon's european background. I'm not sure they will fly in the way he hopes.

-he turned down Constantine in the intial auditions. That speaks for itself. Thankfully, Paula and Randy heard "it" and got him through.

Although I usually am appreciative of Simon's honest appraisals of the contestants. Sometimes his need to make a memorable comment overrides his ability to sort it out. He needs to be able to look a little bit beyond his own head sometimes.

Redmermaid, didn't he basically do the same thing to Bo. Before the contestants left for Hollywood and they had to face the judges, wasn't Bo told that the vote was not unanimous giving the impression that Simon voted against him going.

Just because he has an opinion doesn't mean he's always right. I appreciate his judgements for what they are: opinions, not as "facts".

FORT Regular
    Sometimes he is dead on and sometimes he is not. I agree with him more than Paula and Randy though (most of the time)

He's got more than Paula that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by redmermaid
    After listening to Il Divo (and seeing them on Oprah) I am wondering about Simon's credibility. In the past few years he has:

- produced "cupid" - an inane dating show that was not renewed beyond it's first run

-produced Il Divo - a quartet of tremendously talented men. I wonder, however, who is he thinking is going to be their market? The Josh Groban fan set, perhaps. Their style is too sophisticated and mature than the pop market will support. I think his decision to put this group together and have them sing in languages other than english reflects Simon's european background. I'm not sure they will fly in the way he hopes.

-he turned down Constantine in the intial auditions. That speaks for itself. Thankfully, Paula and Randy heard "it" and got him through.
    I think your assessment of Simon's credibility is entirely subjective.

I don't think anyone is promoting Il Divo to the typical pop market. They are marketing it to exactly what you are referring: the sophisticated and mature market that appreciates talents like Josh Groban. They certainly aren't being marketed for widespread success like the Backstreet Boys. Believe it or not, just because Simon is producing it doesn't mean he's equating it to the "American Idol" fanbase.

And there are many, myself included, that wish that Randy and Paula had gone with Simon's rejection of Constantine. The boy does not have the voice for the pop market, either.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I agree with Broadway on all counts. I generally agree with Simon. The only negative thing I can say about Simon's "judging" is it's predictable. My girls and I usually predict correctly whether or not he likes the performance, but we do have a contest to see what his assessment of the performance is going to be. Paula and Randy are "not so much" in my book anymore. I think Simon's credibility for surpasses that of Paula and is beginning to eclipse Randy. He may be harsh but generally he's right.

I happen to think Simon is the only one of the three judges that has anything worthwhile to say. His comparisons are a bit strange at times, but they are better then listening to Paula interrupting him and Randy and his 'dawg' pound cr*p.

Secondly.. Constantine has actually improved since the contest began. I think all of the contestants have. Being in a competition and knowing even if you don't win you could end up with a record deal is enough to make all of them step up the pace.

I also don't think Simon is harsh, instead I think he is trying to make the contestants understand that in the real world that there are those that will criticize you. Where would half of the singers be without having Simon make them step up their game by learning their strengths and weaknesses?

I happen to like Josh Groban, he's an excellent singer. Just as I like pop, country and oldies. Not all of us only listen to one particular type of song and I found that as I've aged that I enjoy listening to all types of music. I even like musicals, which not many today listen to. In high school I had a music teacher that was also our drama teacher and she gave us an appreciation for classical such as Sound of Music, Oklahoma and so forth. They may not be your cup of tea but many of the current movies out there are based on old classics. And music can tell a story all on its own. I may not understand a word of Italian (which is what Josh Groban sings much of his songs in) but I can tell you that he sings everything with passion.

You can't look at what Simon says as bringing the contestants down or not encouraging them. I actually think he would be much harsher if he weren't on national TV. He isn't an agent looking to promote his client, he's instead a seller trying to listen to see if each singer could sell CD's. Like someone else said Simon is subjective, he has his own opinion and agenda for the show. Its probably why the three of them bicker, to try and kick up ratings.

Perhaps we should give Simon his own star like Ryan received.. oh that's right he paid for it himself! If anyone should be insulted it should be Ryan, his radio show stinks and so does he. He doesn't deserve a star its just another way to bring Idol into the public spotlight.

I heard Primetime live is doing some sort of expose on behind the scenes. Perhaps well learn more about all three judges.

Of the three judges, I think Simon is most on point, and more often. He is telling them what they need to hear, and not necessarily what they want to hear (as is the case with Paula).
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think you underestimate to fan base of the Josh Groban, Michael Buble' and the more mature audience. I buy alot of cd's as a more "mature" baby boomer listener and we have the money to do so. Also instead of bootlegging music on the internet I buy three copies of the music I like (home, car and office)

Just because you are not fond of it does not make it un-marketable or unsuccessful.

While Siimons critiques are often biting most of the time he is right on! If you do not take his suggestions it can come back to bite you. I love Nadia and while I think she got a bad rap leaving before some others that should have gone sooner. She made a big mistake not doing a WOW song every week. I think she could have won it had she done so!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast