+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simon's Credibility

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Of the three judges, I think Simon is most on point, and more often. He is telling them what they need to hear, and not necessarily what they want to hear (as is the case with Paula).
    Most definitely, Bill...

Simon can be too cruel at times but, usually he is right on with his thoughts. JMHO
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

I am with you guys on this. Simon is definetly the mosr credible judge. I doubt it matters as much to anyone what the other judges say.Out of the three of them, he's the one they want to impress the most. So I'd say, yes he is very credible. I think that the band will never be on MTV, but they can reach Micheal Buble and Josh Groban status eventually. I remember reading in an interview that he's tying to target an older audience and that he also thinks that Clay Aiken will be successful for a long time for doing that.
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    The music business is very tough, and there are a lot of people that are much worse than Simon that folks have to deal with. He did, or does, work for a record company and knows it's about money more than talent. A lot of these people that have appeared on AI wouldn't have been able to get a foot in the door of a record company, they should be greatful for the experience and exposure.
    All creative businesses are tough and if you put yourself out there, you need to be ready to hear negative feedback - sometimes lots of it.

Simon's job here is to give feedback AND to recognize raw talent. When he does give solid suggestion and input to the contestants - they often know what direction to take things. When he grunts "hideous" - what kind of direction is that giving someone? His feedback is sometimes too concerned with being clever and memorable (self absorption) instead of solid and constructive (actually about and helpful to the singer). I agree Simon is usually on target and I'm not suggesting he make it all love and roses. I DO think he should do a more professional job of making his feedback relevant.

This is not quite the same thing as someone walking into a producers office. The truth is producers often listen to recorded music and make decisions from there - sometimes that means that the recording artist would get a better shake than Idol's 30 seconds. Believe it or not, the typical rejection takes the form of a polite letter or a no, thank you. And yes, I know many people in the music business to back that claim.

What will it say about any judge if the winner was someone they rejected outright initially? To me, that he missed the mark. Maybe we should replace any judges who didn't get it the first time? That will assure us that they are doing their job and less concerned with their own ego and celebrity.

Man!! This does sound harsher about Simon than I intended. I guess, deep down, it is how I really feel about him. His judgements aren't as perfect as one would think given his high opinion of himself.

"should do a more professional job of making his feedback relevant"

All the judges could use this same advice. At the moment Simon is the ONLY one who even comes close!

Honestly, I usually suffer through Randy and Paula's comments just waiting to hear what Simon will say. I don't dislike them, but their comments aren't that meaningful, more so with Paula, of course.

If Simon weren't on the panel, I'd fast forward to the next singer.

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally
    "should do a more professional job of making his feedback relevant"

All the judges could use this same advice. At the moment Simon is the ONLY one who even comes close!
    Are the contestants getting more feedback from the judges than we're hearing? Paula made a comment (on one of the talk shows, I forget which one) that the contestants know exactly what she thinks of their performance. She went on to add that as a performer herself, she knows how difficult it is to get up there and put yourself in that position, and she feels they need a little positive reinforcement before they hear "the truth."

It's my opinion that everything that's done on that show is for the ratings. Including the judges comments.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrjar
    I don't dislike them, but their comments aren't that meaningful, more so with Paula, of course.
    Anyone noticed last week Randy's comment about Bo Bice coming back. But if you watch Randy's comments from earlier shows, you'll get the impression that Bo Bice never went anywhere. I think this is a little bit conflicting and that's why I don't pay much attention to their comments. Simon is usually right on spot but he's made some really stupid comments too, like for example Bo being a wedding singer.

originally posted by redmermaid Simon's job here is to give feedback AND to recognize raw talent. When he does give solid suggestion and input to the contestants - they often know what direction to take things. When he grunts "hideous" - what kind of direction is that giving someone? His feedback is sometimes too concerned with being clever and memorable (self absorption) instead of solid and constructive (actually about and helpful to the singer). I agree Simon is usually on target and I'm not suggesting he make it all love and roses. I DO think he should do a more professional job of making his feedback relevant.
    If Simon was given more than 15 seconds to comment, he might indeed be more relevent. But how often is he forced to make his point over Paula's histrionics? And then Randy chimes in. . . Poor Simon can't even complete a thought uninterupted. Coun't me as a Simon fan. Who can Fox get to replace Paula next year?
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo78
    Simon is usually right on spot but he's made some really stupid comments too, like for example Bo being a wedding singer.
    Whether we think Simon is right or not concerning a performance obviously depends on each of our own personal opinions. And anyone reading this forum knows there are often polar opposite viewpoints.

The ironic thing about the wedding singer comment is that Bo HAS been a wedding singer... and more than a few times too, according to himself.

Hmm, maybe we should be looking for more pop stars at weddings.
    Last edited by Remus Lupin; 04-26-2005 at 02:47 PM. Reason: to correct quote tags

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast