+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paula's Secret Battle Article

Paula's Secret Battle Article

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/2005/04/21...oplepainstory/

Paula's Secret Battle

April 21, 2005
    Nothing interests the tabloids more than dishing on well-known celebs, and right now on TV, nothing is hotter than "American Idol." So it isn't surprising that "Idol" judge PAULA ABDUL has been splashed across the front pages with allegations of drug abuse and more.

With all the untruths swirling about, the former Lakers Girl felt she had no recourse but to set the record straight. Her side of the story is in the upcoming People magazine.

In the issue, on newsstands Friday, April 22, Paula explains why she disappeared from the limelight for several years, why she became rail thin and the doctor who was finally able to get her back on track.

"Through a series of multiple car accidents, where I was hit, and an unfortunate plane crash, I ruptured so many disks, I knew something was going on in my neck," the pop star tells MARY HART. "I had numbness and tingling. I was in such excruciating pain. I just kept going. That is what dancers do. We go until we can't go anymore. When I had to shut my life down, I shut down."

During that time, Paula had a series of 12 surgeries, which according to the doctors were successful. She still had the pain, and she lost weight because, as she says, "when you are in that much pain, you don't have an appetite." She prayed for relief and for something to take her mind off her troubles.

"When I got 'American Idol' it was after my last surgery," she continues. "My prayers came true and I could actually get back to what I do and help other people realize their dreams. Still, I was in a lot of pain. I would be in my dressing room with my friend DANIEL. He would constantly be having to reapply my makeup because I would be shivering and having miniature seizures."

Then Paula met the doctor of her dreams, who told her he knew what to do without another surgery, and today, she is pain free.

"I want America to know that I have never ever been addicted to anything," the "Idol" judge explains. "No chemical dependency. I have never taken anything for recreation or for my injuries."

Now that Paula is finally in a great place, she was ready to tackle the tabloid articles and online message boards that were claiming she was a drug addict because of her wild behavior on "American Idol."

"I have been through the kind of journey that I would never wish on anybody," she concludes.

For more on Paula's problems, check out tonight's ET.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by babymay
    http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/2005/04/21...oplepainstory/

Paula's Secret Battle

...Then Paula met the doctor of her dreams, who told her he knew what to do without another surgery, and today, she is pain free.

"I want America to know that I have never ever been addicted to anything," the "Idol" judge explains. "No chemical dependency. I have never taken anything for recreation or for my injuries."
    Interesting article; thanks for sharing it.

While I have no idea whether Paula's actions are drug/alcohol-induced or just the way she is naturally, I do find it odd that she wouldn't elaborate on just what this "doctor of her dreams" did that made her pain free. I also find it rather hard to believe that she has "never taken anything for recreation or for my injuries." While the former may be true (I'm skeptical), she must have taken something when she was injured. You would have to be incredibly strong (or perhaps a complete idiot) to not take pain relievers after multiple car accidents, an airplane crash, and ruptured disks. To tell you the truth, I really don't mind Paula. The show needs a cheerleader and she fits the bill. Nevertheless, methinks Paula isn't coming totally clean with us in this article. (Of course, the other side of the coin is "Who really cares? It's none of my business.")

Quote Originally Posted by mom3
    Interesting article; thanks for sharing it.

While I have no idea whether Paula's actions are drug/alcohol-induced or just the way she is naturally, I do find it odd that she wouldn't elaborate on just what this "doctor of her dreams" did that made her pain free. I also find it rather hard to believe that she has "never taken anything for recreation or for my injuries." While the former may be true (I'm skeptical), she must have taken something when she was injured. You would have to be incredibly strong (or perhaps a complete idiot) to not take pain relievers after multiple car accidents, an airplane crash, and ruptured disks. To tell you the truth, I really don't mind Paula. The show needs a cheerleader and she fits the bill. Nevertheless, methinks Paula isn't coming totally clean with us in this article. (Of course, the other side of the coin is "Who really cares? It's none of my business.")
    Mom3, I hope Paula will share what the good Doc did for her. My husband has collapsed discs and needs surgery. If she is sincere, Paula could help others. I am betting she was taking Vicodin for pain.

I also enjoyed Paula the first three seasons, but she has been absolutely out of control this year. I asked previously, "Do you think Paula is deliberately acting goofy so we'll talk about it?" It wasn't just us, but the media!

I am sorry she has suffered so much pain! Now, let's see if Paula's behavior improves. Maybe she'll let Simon finish his thoughts when they are different than hers. Oh, and maybe she can control her gushing just a bit? And not stumble or slur her words? These would all be POSITIVE changes!

I have always liked Paula, so maybe that's why I was SO disappointed in her appearing to be drugged or drunk!

None of those actions bother me as much as her inability to critique ANY of the singers on this show!! I have never really heard her say one negative thign about any of them, and that just isn't realistic. Not sure why she does that.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

For somebody who has never been addicted to any type of drug, she certainly comes off as stoned or drunk on the show. She's slurring her words and at times looks like she's going to fall forward where she sits. I think Paula is a waste of space on this show. She doesn't add anything. The show doesn't need a cheerleader, that's what the fans are for. They need somebody that can give the contestants constructive criticism as opposed to just criticism.

But she doesn't even give 'criticism'...
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

It will be interesting to read the People article.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Regular
    meh.............I still say she is on booze and pills, LOL, haha, ROTFL and all that jazz.

FORT Newbie
    I like Paula. I feel sorry for her. I noticed Paula's change in behavior this season and thought to myself "Looks like Paula is on pain meds". I didn't even know she had a car accident or chronic pain, I just assumed that she had some "work done" and was taking Percocet or some other pain pill. As the season continued I thought, Uh oh, Paula seems to be abusing her medication. Reading the article convinces me even more. Poor Paula, this stint on AI is such a jolt in her life and she probably wont even remember it when it is over.

From someone who ALSO suffers from neck injuries ( bones spurs and herniated discs) I understand a little of what she has gone through. Although mine have not been so severe I DO know the frustration and the agony of not finding relief and the depression that goes with it.

My relief came in the form of Celebrex, joint supliments, stretching exercize, diet changes and therapy. It is a total lifestyle change and trust me when you finally feel normal after hurting so badly you litterly feel HIGH on life when you do not hurt the same anymore. Dance ment EVERYTHING to Paula and not being able to lift your arms much less boogie to the music is painful to someone.

With all the controversy over the NSAID's I'm fearful that part of that formula may sometime go away and that concerns me.

IF Idol gives her some joy that is awesome. While I agree that she is a bit to sugary and not critical enough sometimes...her good comments somehow balance out Simon's bad ones and keep the contestant from falling apart on stage and continue trying. After all she is fully aware of how much self esteem can destroy someone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast