+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idol politics

FORT Newbie

Idol politics

Does anyone else feel there is alot of producer manipulation going on this year?

The scene with asking Bo to choose a group to join seemed staged to bolster his popularity. He has been given other opportunities as well.

Beyond the success of the season Idol also has a contract with these performers and an investment in who wins. I think they would prefer Carrie, Bo, or Constantine to be the Idol for post season marketing and I would not be surprised if they were not given slight advantages along the way.

Perhaps, but think about pre top-24 exposure. Bo is the only one left who got little to no coverage during the audition phase. The only one they seem to have been pushing IMO is Carrie, and she is as dull as dishwater and needs all the help she can get.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Quincy, I think that other contstants have had to chose a group in previous years. I'm not sure what their reasoning is but Bo handled it well last night. I think it's unfair to ask a contestant to do that. It could earn them some enemies, but thankfully he didn't fall for it.
    Lolls, I've noticed that you seem to have a real hatred for Carrie. I don't know why that is, but I'm betting a lot of it is because she was hyped before the thing ever started. Do you honestly think that she needs THAT kind of help from the show promoters? I'm sure she is wishing that they had kept their mouths shut. They did a very talented young lady no favor, believe me.

Last year they asked George to pick a group & the backlash they received for doing so was immense. It put George in a bad light & reflected badly on the producers. So I just can't believe they did it again. Could it be that they told all of the contestants that if it came down to it & they were asked to pick a group it would be best if they stood in the middle? And that final contestant just happened to be Bo. I smell something fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Last year they asked George to pick a group & the backlash they received for doing so was immense. It put George in a bad light & reflected badly on the producers. So I just can't believe they did it again. Could it be that they told all of the contestants that if it came down to it & they were asked to pick a group it would be best if they stood in the middle? And that final contestant just happened to be Bo. I smell something fishy.
    Quincy, I have also mentioned this several times. I had to reflect on the thought that this IS a Realithy Show with some scripted material. I agree with Razorbacker that after last year the contestants may have had some kind of warning!

Razorbacker, I didn't think badly of George last year! I felt so sorry for him, but he is such a likable guy that I kinda chuckled as he went from one group to the other. Probably most of us would have chosen to be with the three Divas! I think Bo knew exactly what to do, plus he is a nice guy too!

I think the audience AND the contestants are being manipulated! Sometimes it's funny but most of the time I am yelling at my TV set!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Lolls, I've noticed that you seem to have a real hatred for Carrie. I don't know why that is, but I'm betting a lot of it is because she was hyped before the thing ever started. Do you honestly think that she needs THAT kind of help from the show promoters? I'm sure she is wishing that they had kept their mouths shut. They did a very talented young lady no favor, believe me.
    Well, I think hatred is a really strong word. Heck, I don't even dislike her; I just think she is dull. What I have said is that she sings well, but does not connect with the audience or the songs she picks. And yet she has been pushed by the judges while others have not.

Actually, I think that Carrie has a really good voice, but she bores me with her performances. She may or may not need that kind of help from the judges, and I certainly don't know if it has helped her or hurt her. I am just stating how *I* feel.

ETA: And, by the way, ALL of the ones left were hyped before the show started, except for Bo. That was my point, is that he is the only one who's "story" was not aired prior to the top 24. And despite this, he is still a front runner, which means that he has achieved this on his own with no help from the producers (since this thread is about politics). And I don't think ALL of the rest are dull, but Carrie is among those who bore me.
    Last edited by Lolls; 04-21-2005 at 09:39 AM.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    Quincy, I have also mentioned this several times. I had to reflect on the thought that this IS a Realithy Show with some scripted material. I agree with Razorbacker that after last year the contestants may have had some kind of warning!

Razorbacker, I didn't think badly of George last year! I felt so sorry for him, but he is such a likable guy that I kinda chuckled as he went from one group to the other. Probably most of us would have chosen to be with the three Divas! I think Bo knew exactly what to do, plus he is a nice guy too!

I think the audience AND the contestants are being manipulated! Sometimes it's funny but most of the time I am yelling at my TV set!
    Kariann, Please don't misunderstand me. I, like you, didn't think badly about George last year. I felt badly for George. I thought it was awful what they did to him.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Kariann, Please don't misunderstand me. I, like you, didn't think badly about George last year. I felt badly for George. I thought it was awful what they did to him.
    Oh, yes! I think this all goes back to what Quincy has said. POLITICS of some sort. We are aware of things that are so obvious, but I am wondering if TBTB actually consult a psychologist on human behavior! At times, it may backfire but I think AI loves the attention whether it is positive or negative!

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolls
    Well, I think hatred is a really strong word. Heck, I don't even dislike (Carrie); I just think she is dull. What I have said is that she sings well, but does not connect with the audience or the songs she picks.
    Very fair criticism; however, bear in mind that if Carrie had any stage presence or performance skills whatsoever, she would have been signed to a record deal years ago. Every AI finalist is flawed in some significant way; otherwise, they wouldn't need to be there. It stands to reason that the better the voice, the more flaws they have elsewhere. Carrie is this year's Latoya, except Carrie's voice is, if possible, better than Latoya's, and her stage presence is, if possible, duller.

Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha
    Very fair criticism; however, bear in mind that if Carrie had any stage presence or performance skills whatsoever, she would have been signed to a record deal years ago.
    ??? What makes you think that Carrie would have been signed to a record deal years ago? I've never heard that she's tried... and she's the first to say that she's never been technically trained.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast