+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idol politics

FORT Regular
    People talk about Carrie being dull and I just don't fathom that, every time they've shown her in any situation other than singing on stage she's seemed like a very likable and lively young lady.

I think the biggest problem AI has is the stupid themes they pick. They talk about the importance of being 'authentic' and 'knowing who they are' and then they make them sing things that reflect neither and then savage them for it. That is something I will never understand!

I sure wish Mario had stayed in the competition and that Nadia was still around.

I don't see Carrie as dull per say either. She still looks scared every time she walks out.

I also wish Nadia was still around (knew I should've hired the redialing mafia that night), but I don't get why people ever liked Mario. Then again, I kind of hurled every time LaToya performed too...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    I think the powers that be want Carrie to be the next IDOL winner. Besides the obvious (she's very pretty, technically a very good singer) she is the most marketable person there.

*my thoughts on this*
    They want record sales...big record sales. Now, as an adult, I have more money to spend that your basic preteen watching AI. But, as an adult, I am pickier about what I spend my money on (considering there are so many other things to spend money on, such as my car, my house, everything else). Therefore, I will only purchase what I really like. The preteens (many of them with lots of money to spend) will buy cd's because someone is cute....or because their best friend bought it....or because Simon is on TV telling you that the person is just the greatest! Also, out of the remaining Idol contestants...I'd say the most appealing to the preteen set is probably ANTHONY, next Carrie and possibly Constantine or Vonzell. Bo is too manly for the boy-band loving preteens. Scott they wouldn't like at all. If the preteens can't have them an Idol they think is a cutie (Anthony?) then they will back one they might want to be like (Carrie, pretty girl who can sing.) Now, I like to think that the preteen cd-buying public buys cd's because they like the music.....but I think it's that with other factors built in (cuteness, or someone they'd like to be like.)

GEE I am rambling. To summarize.....Say Bo is the winner. I think he'd sell a lot of cd's, (I know I'd buy one) but I don't think that many purchasers would be from the preteen set. Say Carrie is the winner, I think she'd sell a lot of cd's to both the adults (I would NOT buy one) AND the preteen market. If Anthony won, I think he'd sell mostly to the preteens. Connie might sell to both markets (but not to my house). With this theory, the powers that be at AI would want Carrie to win. Plus, she seems more receptive to molding in whatever way they want. They're not going to be able to mold Bo, plus he doesn't need it.

Carrie has a strong voice, and seems like a clean-cut wholesome girl. (I personally find her dull.) They could market her in a variety of ways. Bo, they can only market him as what he is...Bo. (which, I might add, I find absolutely wonderful).

End of ramble about why I think they want Carrie to win.
    I think that was very well rambled!

Quote Originally Posted by anachronism
    I think the biggest problem AI has is the stupid themes they pick. They talk about the importance of being 'authentic' and 'knowing who they are' and then they make them sing things that reflect neither and then savage them for it. That is something I will never understand!

You have a good point....one week they say "you know who you are" and the next they slam someone for not coming out the their box, then they tell them to get back in the box. (not in those exact words, of course.)
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha
    You're joking, right? If a child is defined as anyone 18 or under when they signed or had their first hit, let's see, there's the Jacksons, the Osmonds, Stevie Wonder, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis, Britney Spears, Leann Rimes, Menudo, Charlotte Church, Diana Ross, Ritchie Valens, Hansen, Bobby Rydel, Joan Jett, Cher (I think), Neil Sedaka (I think), Avril Lavigne...I'm sure I'm missing dozens more. 21 is not considered terribly young in the music industry.

The fact is, all AI finalists to date have been flawed in some obvious way (or, in most cases, ways). If they weren't, they wouldn't need to be on the show and go through this long, grueling process.
    Don't know if you intended it that way or not but you pretty much proved my point. Of the SEVENTEEN people you mentioned, several became stars forty or fifty years ago. Not exactly a landslide of youngsters there.

The truth is ... these guys (producers and Simon) know who thier target audience is. They know what there target audience wants (for the most part). Carrie is the embodiment of the AI fanbase. Pretty, clean cut girl with a country twang. It's no wonder Simon said she would "sell the most records any AI winner" ever has. Because HE KNOWS what he is talking about.

Whether you like it or not, Soccer moms and thier 13 yr old daughters are the target audience. The kinds of people who buy Kelly (very much like Carrie) or Clay (very much like Anthony)'s CD's and goto all the concerts. That is the MAJORITY of Idol watcher/voter.

Know your audience, then give them what they want. Simple marketing.

People like Nadia, Bo, Anwar are just there to fill in the niche audiences and its a reason why they bring such a diverse group to Hollywood, and not 100 Carrie-bots. To expand on thier base audience.

FORT Fogey
    I think Carrie is boring because of her performance factor - or lack there of. To me it is not simply a great singing voice, but that combined with being able to draw in an audience with a wow factor. Seeing Carrie the past few weeks she is not comfortable or doesn't sing well when she tries anything except standing in one spot (or a small area) and singing. MacArthur Park she actually seemed to think out "ok, now walk to this corner, sing sing sing, walk back, sing, go to the other corner, sing sing sing. It didn't seem natural. The performers that can sing in this group are/were Vonzell and Nadia, and to some extent Bo (but I am tired of his carrying the mic stand around and throwing his head/hair around). I am truly at a loss to explain why Scott and Anthony are still around and Nadia/Anwar are gone before them (despite Anwar also falling into a bit of the boring category, at least he could move a bit that looked more natural than Carrie). If Vonzell is gone soon, then I really don't care and will write off this season to the teeny boppers.

Anyone been to a country concert? With the exception of very few country singers (Garth Brooks) most simply stand on stage and sing (George Strait). They are Entertainers NOT Performers, so that being said if this is the type of singing and entertaining Carrie is used too, then she really wouldn't know how to do anything different. I also think her outfits make her uncomfortable. Especially, the dress that Simon said was Barbie meets Stepford Wives.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Anyone been to a country concert? With the exception of very few country singers (Garth Brooks) most simply stand on stage and sing (George Strait). They are Entertainers NOT Performers, so that being said if this is the type of singing and entertaining Carrie is used too, then she really wouldn't know how to do anything different. I also think her outfits make her uncomfortable. Especially, the dress that Simon said was Barbie meets Stepford Wives.
    I saw Garth perform once. He rocks.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    I saw Garth perform once. He rocks.
    You think Garth rocks, go see Hank Jr. sometime. He is the hardest rockin country boy I have ever seen. You will thorougly enjoy yourself. At least you will if he is sober enough to actually make it onto the stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast