+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idol politics

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    ??? What makes you think that Carrie would have been signed to a record deal years ago? I've never heard that she's tried... and she's the first to say that she's never been technically trained.
    And this is EXACTLY why the producers are pushing her. She has a phenomenal voice and a beautiful appearance and what seems to be a terrific personality....and that's it. The rest is a clean slate that the producers, once the show is over, can mold into what they want their "Idol" to be....unlike Bo, who obviously has a well-established persona and performance mode who would be more unlikely and unwilling to change to suit the producers' wishes. I think this is why they are pushing for her so much. The only other one in a similar situation is Anthony, but he is not as vocally talented and the constant comparisons to Clay will hinder, not help him.

Re the politics of American Idol, I just read the following on the Variety.com website and thought it might be of interest:

"The ABC network is working on a potentially explosive expose on the Fox phenom 'American Idol'. It is believed that the report will take a hard look at the relationship between the Idol judges and the contestants. Depending on the final results of the investigation, insiders say ABC may air the report as a special single-topic edition of Primetime during May sweeps week."

Not sure how much stock to put in this since ABC and Fox are obviously competing networks, but found it interesting nonetheless.

Carrie doe NOT Bore me! or the many others who enjoy her as well or you would have seen her in the bottom three.

Anwar bored me and he is now gone, Anthony and Scott bore me and they should have been gone before Nadia ( who I found anything but boring)

Constantine is beginning to bore me because of the way he tilts his had down and makes those strange looks at the camera and that is not only when he is singing. It is now his gimic! He does not do anything for me (sorry) and his music is unique but not something that would sell to a broader audience.

Carrie's popularity in the country as well as some pop venues makes her marketable and that is why she is looked at the winner...from a business standpoint from people in the industry

Bo I think brings back memories of the new and old rockers but would his music sell to an audience. How many single male rock singers are there out there right now that are not in part of BAND?

FORT Regular
    They did that last year as well, they give you the opportunity to cut your own throat or endear yourself to the crowd, basic reality tv recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3
    Re the politics of American Idol, I just read the following on the Variety.com website and thought it might be of interest:

"The ABC network is working on a potentially explosive expose on the Fox phenom 'American Idol'. It is believed that the report will take a hard look at the relationship between the Idol judges and the contestants. Depending on the final results of the investigation, insiders say ABC may air the report as a special single-topic edition of Primetime during May sweeps week."

Not sure how much stock to put in this since ABC and Fox are obviously competing networks, but found it interesting nonetheless.
    To be an interesting explosive expose, they must have interviews with previous Top Twelve contestants! I do have a feeling we are on the right track when we speak of manipulation!

This was mentioned several months ago when AI tried to present Carrie as a little ole country girl and it was discovered that she was the lead singer of a country band that has made the Nashville circuit. Nashville is the beginning for most country stars, not Oklahoma! There really was no need to push Carrie!

Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha
    Very fair criticism; however, bear in mind that if Carrie had any stage presence or performance skills whatsoever, she would have been signed to a record deal years ago. Every AI finalist is flawed in some significant way; otherwise, they wouldn't need to be there. It stands to reason that the better the voice, the more flaws they have elsewhere. Carrie is this year's Latoya, except Carrie's voice is, if possible, better than Latoya's, and her stage presence is, if possible, duller.
    What? Someone should have signed her when she was 10 or maybe 15? How many recording artists get signed that young? She's only 21 years old and she's from Oklahoma which is not exactly a entertainment mecca.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy
    Does anyone else feel there is alot of producer manipulation going on this year?

The scene with asking Bo to choose a group to join seemed staged to bolster his popularity. He has been given other opportunities as well.

Beyond the success of the season Idol also has a contract with these performers and an investment in who wins. I think they would prefer Carrie, Bo, or Constantine to be the Idol for post season marketing and I would not be surprised if they were not given slight advantages along the way.
    All reality tv is scripted in some way, and I'm sure AI is no different. Some of it is blatant, but I'm sure some is more suble or behind the scenes.

As for asking Bo to come stand with the top group, the way they did with George last year, either they know Bo well enough to know that he wouldn't do it (he seems like the type who would do just what he did), or they scripted it with him in the know. And if they did, I think Bo would be the perfect choice, because some of the others might not have been so believeable doing it.

That's also been my thought of why they want Carrie to win, she has a very good voice and I think she would be extremely moldable. Bo would not be, plus he has a niche where he does well and it's probably not the audience they want to market to. Constantine would actually cross over into that pop wasteland than Bo. And I'm not sure where Vonzell fits into their thinking. I fully expect to see Bo, Vonzell, Constantine, and Carrie in the final 4, with Bo and either Vonzell or Constantine going (that is, final either Carrie/Vonzell or Carrie/Constantine).

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Last year they asked George to pick a group & the backlash they received for doing so was immense. It put George in a bad light & reflected badly on the producers. So I just can't believe they did it again. Could it be that they told all of the contestants that if it came down to it & they were asked to pick a group it would be best if they stood in the middle? And that final contestant just happened to be Bo. I smell something fishy.
    I don't know if it was staged. The look on Bo's face, when Ryan told him to pick a group, was telling that it wasn't. But still, I think every one of them would've done the same without telling particulary, not just Bo.

But why they picked Bo to be the "last man standing"? Maybe because his performance the night before was definitely the best. And he also got best reviews by the judges. So maybe they thought that putting Bo to either one of the groups would've revealed which one was the winning group and which one was bottom 3 .Well, it was very clear anyway but still I think Bo and Carrie were the only ones to do that (Carrie because of her big fanbase and Bo because of his great reviews).

I hope I made some sense 'cause my english skills are limited and it's sometimes hard for me to put my thoughts into words.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo78
    I don't know if it was staged. The look on Bo's face, when Ryan told him to pick a group, was telling that it wasn't. But still, I think every one of them would've done the same without telling particulary, not just Bo.

But why they picked Bo to be the "last man standing"? Maybe because his performance the night before was definitely the best. And he also got best reviews by the judges. So maybe they thought that putting Bo to either one of the groups would've revealed which one was the winning group and which one was bottom 3 .Well, it was very clear anyway but still I think Bo and Carrie were the only ones to do that (Carrie because of her big fanbase and Bo because of his great reviews).

I hope I made some sense 'cause my english skills are limited and it's sometimes hard for me to put my thoughts into words.
    You're doing just fine, Nemo! I was thinking the same thing but that Carrie and Bo probably had the highest votes and would obviously be safe. Last year was a total surprise for George and for the audience. This tactic with Bo was no big deal because we have seen it before! He handled it just fine!

FORT Regular
    Speaking of politics, I just saw Paula on Good Day LA, and boy, she slided Carrie. She said that Carrie's performance (voice) was dull and less sharp than they originally thought. She said it's different when it's in the studio (I completely agree having gone to AI's live performances). She said they watched the performances back on TV, and it sounds different. She definitely said it a couple of times. It's obvious that Paula is rooting for Connie, Randy for Bo, and Simon for Carrie. I think this is great because the last 2 years (don't know about Season 1) they unanimously wanted Ruben and Fantasia. And personally I don't think Ruben and Fantasia have really broke out (yet). Everybody has their opinion, but we should be respectful of everyone's opinion. I personally can't stand Scott and wonder why nobody bashes him for his stage performance, but I do respect everyone's opinion.

GO CARRIE (just had to put that in there)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast