+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Theme Nights

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey Kariann1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    I think the girls could do just fine on Elvis night. He recorded so many different songs and genres that nobody would have trouble finding one that would fit them. (Carrie could do "Are You Lonesome Tonight," Von could do "It's Now Or Never," Bo could do "Don't" or "Burnin' Love," Con could do "Jailhouse Rock," etc., etc.
    I totally agree! I would like to see Vonzell do one of Elvis' Gospel songs! She does a great job with vocals from esteemed female singers, but this would be a great challenge in a different way!

    If not a capella night, at least acoustic night -- one guitar, a simple piano backup, etc. -- and no backup singers. The band as it is can mask bad vocals but they can also overpower good ones (which I think they did on Bo's first performance of "Remedy" and on some other contestants' songs on other nights).
    Another great idea. I have been reading a column written by a voice coach. Here is the introduction as presented 2 weeks ago:

    AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 4 TOP EIGHT VOCAL MASTERCLASS
    By Rosanne Simunovic April 13th, 2005

    The Top 8 American Idol finalists had a great time this week performing songs that made their musical debut in the same year that coincided with their birth year! This was a very neat idea and stayed true to American Idolís objective this year in allowing the singers to perform songs that reflected their personal vision as an artist.


    This years format reflects the concepts of allowing the singers to perform songs that reflect their personal vision as an artist? IMO, this has not worked each week, and without a structured theme, it has been boring and less challenging. I don't believe this new change has been successful!

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    This years format reflects the concepts of allowing the singers to perform songs that reflect their personal vision as an artist? IMO, this has not worked each week, and without a structured theme, it has been boring and less challenging. I don't believe this new change has been successful!
    I find it more entertaining when I don't have to listen to them trying to sing stuff they aren't suited for. I think the challenge is for them to challenge themselves to grow. Some have done that, some haven't.

  3. #33
    FORT Fogey Kariann1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    With Constantine, AI is going to be BORING! They must come up with something to liven up the show! Better Themes and Guest Judges would be a start!

    I have this awful feeling that AI will not be back next year OR will be back with different judges!

    I really missed this forum and wish the hackers could be stopped from messing around!

  4. #34
    FORT Regular Albi4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    106
    Anything is better than "2000's week" oh my god that was terrible.

  5. #35
    Don't call me Nelly jasminefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    637
    This years themes have been sucking pretty bad so far though 2000-2005 really takes the cake. What happened to the fun stuff like big band and soul night??

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey Kariann1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    With Constantine, AI is going to be BORING! They must come up with something to liven up the show! Better Themes and Guest Judges would be a start!

    I have this awful feeling that AI will not be back next year OR will be back with different judges!

    I really missed this forum and wish the hackers could be stopped from messing around!

    I apologize for my miswording on this post! I work the midnight shift andat times am VERY tired when I post.

    Without Constantine, AI is going to be boring! Whether you liked him or not, it was quite an experience wondering what he was going to do from week to week!

    Today I was viewing last year's "Elton John" theme week. What a TERRIFIC show that was! There were 9 finalists left and both Randy and Pauls did a good job analizing the performances. It made me realize how they are missing the mark this year. Simon has remained the same.

    It also shows that the performers were better last year (for the most part). It was great seeing George in fine form, before he got sick. Just a trip down "Memory Lane" and showing how much better it is when there are Guest Judges or Guest Artists/Writers. The specific theme is a challenge and great fun!

  7. #37
    I Think I Can Dance. Aota Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,878
    We're never content.

    The past seasons people were constantly griping over how they forced contestants to sing in genres they would never ever consider recording in- whether it was John Stevens doing Latin Dance, LaToya doing country, Josh G doing disco, or whatever. Most of us were all saying we wished they would stick to more general themes so that the theme nights didn't suck.

    So they listened, and now the themes allow for a wider range of choices and don't force people into genres that are, for them, ludicrous. And we've learned that some nights STILL suck. Contestants have a remarkable ability to choose the complete wrong song.

    I don't know that it's too important whatever the theme is- it's what the contestants do with it.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey Kariann1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    At first I heard it was "Movie Theme from the 1960s", now it looks like it will be "Movie Themes" or "Songs from the Movies."

  9. #39
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    Without Constantine, AI is going to be boring! Whether you liked him or not, it was quite an experience wondering what he was going to do from week to week!
    Completly agree. I wasn't his biggest fan, but I admit every week when I sat down in front of the TV, I thought "I wonder what Constantine's going to pull out of his a__ this week." It's disappointing that he and Nadia went so early, because it seems to send a message to future contestants: don't take chances, play it safe.

    Today I was viewing last year's "Elton John" theme week. What a TERRIFIC show that was!
    Completely disagree here. Kari, you're going to have to send me either the alternate-dimension tape you have of it, or a bottle of whatever you were drinking when you watched it! I have that one saved too, and IMO it was horrible, a total train wreck. Other than George's fine "Take Me To The Pilot", it was like visiting a slaughterhouse to watch meat being butchered. Oh well, to each their own -- I guess this explains why you want to see the super-narrow genre/single-artist theme weeks back, and I want to see them barred by constitutional amendment if necessary.

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey Kariann1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha
    Completely disagree here. Kari, you're going to have to send me either the alternate-dimension tape you have of it, or a bottle of whatever you were drinking when you watched it! I have that one saved too, and IMO it was horrible, a total train wreck. Other than George's fine "Take Me To The Pilot", it was like visiting a slaughterhouse to watch meat being butchered. Oh well, to each their own -- I guess this explains why you want to see the super-narrow genre/single-artist theme weeks back, and I want to see them barred by constitutional amendment if necessary.
    Oh, we can disagree - no problem! I am a big fan of Season 2 but don't have it on tape. I liked Season 3, for the most part. I just don't see this season being memorable for good reasons!

    It looks like it will be wide open if the sources are correct! Could Anthony pull off Kenny Loggins' "Footloose"? I want to see this young man moving! His second song can be a power ballad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.