+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Children to the tapings..a no no?

Bringing Children to the tapings..a no no?

After last week's dismissal of Nadia..at the end of the program the cameras showed in the audience close up shots of two youg girls with a grownup. They were about maybe 5 or 6 years of age. They were hysterically crying after Nadia sang her "goodbye" song. They are obviously related to her. The adult woman was trying to comfort them but you had TWO!!!! bawling children with her. I've notice a lot of children (under 12) at the tapings. I don't think it's a good idea to bring them if they are related or have some kind of attachment to the idols. Mainly.... Simon Cowell's comments. To adults he can sometimes seem cruel. How about to a child who thinks it fantastic to see someone they care about on stage only to hear venom spewd by the judges? It can be quite the shock. Those girls heard Simon compare Nadia to wallpaper :nono I hope one of the girls wasn't Nadia's daughter.

I agree with that to a degree. I don't think the smaller kids should be at the Wednesday night shows, because they face the possibility of seeing someone they love get booted from the show. Tuesdays aren't as bad, despite Simon's comments. I think the kids should get to be there for the performances.

Glamgirl, that's a good point. But unfortunately, those little girls will hear those words whether or not they were at the taping, 'cuz they'd be on the tape as well. The poor little things were definitely distraught, weren't they? I'm sure one of them was her daughter--I think she said her daughter was 5 or 6. The one good thing is that they got to hear the audience STRONGLY booing Randy's comments, as well as Simon's comments, on Tuesday night. I reviewed Nadia's "When I Dream" video again today, and it is still just flatout outstanding. Her elimination was such a mistake. Those little girls were right to be bawling so hard on Wednesday--it wasn't a fair thing.

I don't have a good solution, but your point is valid. Children are so sensitive. I guess the other way to look at is that this was a HUGE HUGE moment in Nadia's life...should the other huge part of Nadia's life not be allowed to be a part of it?
    Last edited by fireflyer; 04-19-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    If they weren't there in the audience, they'd hear the comments from all of the judges on the television.

I don't see anything wrong with having children watch the show live, or in person. They need to understand that there are winners and there are losers. Whether they like someone or not..it's still a competition.

If I had a child, the last thing I'd do is hide the fact that their favorite singer is voted out. Then again, Christmas might be a lot cheaper if all I had to buy were rose-colored glasses.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I know I was crying like a little girl when Nadia got the boot.

I don't think it's so horrible for kids to be there. Overall, it's a positive because most of it is fun and it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The kids are sad when mommy/auntie/cousin Anthony or whomever has to leave, but so are the adults. And I don't know if a little kid could understand most of what Simon is saying, anyway - between his accent and his retro-Brit phrases and analogies.

"Woooo.. shut up!" dustparticle05's Avatar
    I will admit too that I cried when Nadia god voted off. (First time I've actually cried since the last episode of Friends was over. I still haven't watched the tape of hte final episode because it was too sad. But anways, back on topic, I'm next to positive one of the girls was Nadia's daughter. They would have heard the comments anyways, and would have known that Nadia was voted off. There's no way to hide that from them.

On a more positive note, after listening to Nadia's performance on audio, that was EASILY the most fabulously in-tune song she's sang on the show. The main problem, obviously, was the song choice, but I'm so flabberghasted by how well she sang it.. just blows the mind that she was voted out after demonstraing such wonderful vocal quality.

Quote Originally Posted by dustparticle05
    I will admit too that I cried when Nadia god voted off. (First time I've actually cried since the last episode of Friends was over. I still haven't watched the tape of hte final episode because it was too sad. But anways, back on topic, I'm next to positive one of the girls was Nadia's daughter. They would have heard the comments anyways, and would have known that Nadia was voted off. There's no way to hide that from them.

On a more positive note, after listening to Nadia's performance on audio, that was EASILY the most fabulously in-tune song she's sang on the show. The main problem, obviously, was the song choice, but I'm so flabberghasted by how well she sang it.. just blows the mind that she was voted out after demonstraing such wonderful vocal quality.
    Oh, I would love to see Nadia get a hit record with it! Although, I would have prefered if she sang "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" instead of "When I Dream." Going with a country song and making it your own was a major challenge!

Yes, children should be allowed in the audience and also to enjoy the show at home! How many Reality Shows can we watch with our children and grandchildren? This is a multigenerational show!
    Last edited by Kariann1; 04-20-2005 at 08:22 AM.

I actually think having children at the tapings can sometimes be a godsend. I still believe that Niki McKibben made it to top 3 because of all the times they panned over to her son crying after Simon made a mean comment. She got a whole heck of a lot of sympathy votes from that!!
    "To be is to do"--Socrates.
    "To do is to be"--Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do"--Frank Sinatra

I'm the queen of misspelling

Nadia may have actually dodged a bullet by not winning this show. She will be successful and won't have to be bound by the strangling contract the winner must agree to. The kids will recover and the key is how they see Nadia react to it. Of course seeing an adult that you are close to cry is hard on a child ( I can count on one hand the times I saw my mom do it ) but when they see her smile and show she is ok they will be to!

Why should kids be banned??
    They may and should be able to enjoy seeing their relatives/friends/idols on stage despite their age... And I don't see anything wrong in a child experiencing some sad emotions if somebody they like is voted off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast