+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Top 8 Results: It's All About Song Choice

Lobes, that was one of your better recaps! I especially enjoyed "Laurie". I can't remember the tongue action. When did he pull that one? Was the eyefing going on at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by famita
    Lobes, that was one of your better recaps! I especially enjoyed "Laurie". I can't remember the tongue action. When did he pull that one? Was the eyefing going on at the same time?
    When does Constantine not eye-f**k the camera?

FORT Regular
    I am also sorry that Nadia has left as compared to some of the others that are still remaining....

Did anyone else notice (or was it just coincidence) that when they were talking to Vonzell, Anthony, and Nadia about who the last person for the final three would be, Nadia was the one who was holding the microphone.....

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Great recap Lobes. I agree with you about Nadia leaving too early. I hope that she is right when she says the journey has just begun.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    I have to point out the judges said, repeatly, during the semi-finals that song choice didn't matter - that what mattered was the performance. So it looks like Nadia listened and paid the price.
    I'm sorry, but anyone who takes the advice of those three numbnuts deserves what he or she gets. Paula in particular couldn't predict whether you can make two sandwiches out of a loaf of bread and three pounds of corned beef. Song choice is the single most important factor in the competition.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty13
    The way it currently is, entire towns or regions vote multiple times each for their favorite regardless of talent. In my scenario, they would have to conspire together to get one person kicked off. Much more difficult to do.
    True early on in the Final 12, but not in the later rounds. By the time you're down to the Final Four or so, you'll see fans of the other three contestants ganging up on the front-runner to bring them down. This would be trivial to coordinate via the Internet boards, but I think it would happen naturally anyway without any organized effort. If you don't believe this, go back and watch reruns of "The Weakest Link".

Furthermore, the goal of AI is to crown a winner that will sell zillions of albums. The more passion that a singer commands from his or her fan base (reflected in their weekly vote totals), the more albums he is likely to sell. Switching to your proposed model, we'd be left with the singer that America dislikes the least -- Nikko perhaps, or maybe Vonzell. What's the point?

If 10% of the American CD-buying public love you, it doesn't matter whether the other 90% are indifferent to you, dislike you, or actively loathe you and wish you'd contract Ebola. An analogy I've used before is this: your fans are going to go out and buy your CDs. Your detractors aren't going to mug your fans as they leave Best Buy, steal the album, and run back into the store to return it. Why should AI cater to the latter group of people?

Quote Originally Posted by Starpower
    I am also sorry that Nadia has left as compared to some of the others that are still remaining....

Did anyone else notice (or was it just coincidence) that when they were talking to Vonzell, Anthony, and Nadia about who the last person for the final three would be, Nadia was the one who was holding the microphone.....
    Actually, I think they all had Microphones.

Another great recap Lobeck.

Just for the record, before the show airs, Nigel comes out and coaches the audience members as to how to react. He calls out three names and asks how they will react if their names are called because they are in the Bottom 3. He wanted loud "boos" from the audience. Those three names were Carrie, Connie and Bo. Most of the people who follow online threads, knew it would be Bo. It is all about drama and the audience is always coached. They are told to sway during songs and boo during dramatical parts. It is called ratings, I am afraid.

Tuesday was interesting. Actually Scott was IMO the worst performer. He was the only one flat. But unfortunately it is song choice that maybe will do you in. Nadia was one of my favorites and I am sorry to see her go. However, I feel Constantine has really stepped it up. And for me, a big Queen fan, Bohemian Rhapsody was a song choice that surpassed all the other milquetoast choices. Love Is A Battlefield was also a good song but I am not sure if it was a perfect fit for Carrie.
    And so it goes.

Song Choice Matters!

Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha
    I'm sorry, but anyone who takes the advice of those three numbnuts deserves what he or she gets. Paula in particular couldn't predict whether you can make two sandwiches out of a loaf of bread and three pounds of corned beef. Song choice is the single most important factor in the competition.
    I actually think song choice is crucial. It would be like performing at the Super-bowl and choosing a little song I love to sing instead of thinking of the broad audience you're singing to. Off the beaten track types of songs would work in a Cd or even a concert but it doesn't work when you only have 90 seconds to perform and people will vote on that one performance. If Nadia had made better song choices she wouldn't have had any trouble making it to at least the bottom 4.

I only pointed how what the judges were saying because they are almost schizophrenic in what they keep telling the performers. For instance, they keep telling Carrie to just be her country self but I have no doubt if she did that they would slam her.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    If Nadia had made better song choices she wouldn't have had any trouble making it to at least the bottom 4.
    I think you mean the Final Four, and I agree.

I only pointed how what the judges were saying because they are almost schizophrenic in what they keep telling the performers. For instance, they keep telling Carrie to just be her country self but I have no doubt if she did that they would slam her.
    This is a fair point. But again, this particular panel of judges tends toward the clueless. (Actually, Paula has "clueless" in a death grip, but that's another matter.) There's little evidence that their 'expert' advice is any more helpful than consulting a magic 8-ball.

I agree: Carrie, sadly, hasn't realized this yet, and is twisting herself into a pretzel trying to follow their inconsistent advice. Compare her to Constantine, who keeps his own counsel, and just politely smiles and nods when the judges rip him. Then he comes out the next week with yet another outrageous song choice that he deftly makes work. Now the judges are praising him, but I'm certain it's because they realize they'd better get on board his train before it leaves the station. What's that old saying about how if the followers lead, the leaders will eventually follow?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast