+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Idol, Top 9 Results: We're Down To The Elite Eight

American Idol, Top 9 Results: We're Down To The Elite Eight

Ryan (who’s back to sporting the scruffy look this evening) opens tonight’s show by saying, “The votes are in, and someone is out.” Of course, I’m wanting him to follow that up with something along the lines of, “…and that someone who is “out” is me. I have an announcement to make…” Of course, that is not what he’s referring to, and he continues with, “Your results tonight…LIVE…on American Idol.” Anyway, Ryan announces that Fantasia, last season’s champ, will be on the show tonight to sing for us, and then he introduces our judges (who you already know unless you’ve been living under a rock). Apparently, this week produced the highest non-finale vote total yet—32.8 million votes were cast—and I’m thinking that the majority of those were people calling in to beg Anthony never to sing “Climb Ev’ry Mountain” again. Regardless, we next say hello to our remaining finalists and then see a video recap of the previous night’s performances.

Remember the three sappy group numbers that were being considered for release as a charity single? Well, when we come back from the video recap, Ryan tells us that the single that got the most votes was “When You Tell Me That You Love Me”. He then goes on to say that there was “such a huge response” that the other two singles (“He Ain’t Heavy…” and “Everything Is Beautiful”) will be on the AI4 CD as well. Oh yay. I’ll run out and buy the CD now for sure.

It’s time to hear from last season’s champ, Fantasia. Instead of singing her newest single, “Baby Mama”, she starts off her performance with her first (and more successful) single “Truth Is”. Fantasia looks good, but she should also realize that just because you have some junk in your trunk, it doesn’t automatically mean that painted-on jeans will look good on you. Aside from that, though, Fantasia is still the Fantasia we all know and love (or know and don’t love, as the case may be). Her trademark “BoBo” moves are still there, as is her raspy singing style. From “Truth Is”, Fantasia segues into “Believe”, the song she sang on last season’s finale. This draws an immediate reaction from the crowd, but I don’t think the performance is all that special. In fact, it sounds to me like Fantasia does more screaming than actual singing. When she’s done, Ryan asks her if she has any advice for this year’s group of finalists . Fantasia’s advice? “Just go out there and get ugly.” Um, OK…words to live by, that’s for sure…

After another commercial break, it’s time for our weekly Ford video “commercial” featuring our finalists. There’s really nothing special about this one, but it’s not totally objectionable, either. The commercial is over soon enough, and it is finally time to get to this week’s results. We all know the process, but Ryan explains anyway that he is going to call down this week’s three lowest vote-getters, and one of these three will be sent home this week. So, let’s get started. Nikko, you sang “One Hand, One Heart”. The voters’ hands must not have been anywhere near their phones, Nikko, because you are in this week’s Bottom Three. Vonzell, you sang “People”. Unfortunately, there must not have been enough people out there voting for you, because you are also in the Bottom Three this week. (As Vonzell gets up to join Nikko at center stage, the audience erupts in a very loud chorus of boos.) Scott, you sang “The Impossible Dream”. Based on your performance this week, to dream that you would stay out of the Bottom Three was virtually impossible, so please join Nikko and Vonzell at center stage. That means that everyone still on the Couch Of Safety is safe. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that includes Anthony and his rendition of “Climb Ev’ry Mountain”. I’m more than a bit shocked to see Anthony safe and Vonzell in the Bottom Three, but I guess that is just a testament to the strength (and tenacity) of Anthony’s fanbase. (Of course, I hope this also doesn’t lead to us hearing “I Feel Pretty” from Bo or “I’m Just A Girl Who Can’t Say No” from Constantine, but I digress…) Ryan then asks Bo if he expected to be in the Bottom Three this week, and Bo says, “I’m really shocked that I’m not there, but I’m more shocked at the three that are standing there. I’m really stunned by this.” He asks Anthony what he thought about his performance, and Anthony says, “I would have to agree with Simon. I really felt like I could have been in the Bottom Three. I’m just very fortunate and thankful to my fans that they stuck with me. I’m very surprised as well.” (You’re not the only one, Anthony…) That leaves us with Vonzell, Nikko, and Scott. Ryan tells us that one of them is safe and that we will find out…after the break.

We come back from the break, and it’s time to talk to the judges for a bit. Randy says, “I think American might be a little confused, because two of them up there were unbelievable last night.” Gee, Randy…if I’m that third person, I’m feeling really good about now. Paula, being her annoyingly-positive self, says, “They are all deserving of a record contract.” Finally, in talking about the three finalists at center stage, Simon says, “You don’t have to agree with the results, but there is no fairer way of doing it.” It’s time to end the misery for one of our three, and Ryan says that the first person to go back to the Couch Of Safety is…Vonzell. She sighs a huge sigh of relief and walks over to join the others. That means that either Scott or Nikko will be our first male finalist sent home, and Ryan tells us that we’ll find out—yep, you guessed it—right after the break.

We’re back from the commercial interlude, and Ryan asks Nikko, “What went wrong last night?” Nikko tells him, “Last night was hard for everybody. I just did the best that I could. I’m blessed just to be here now.” Ryan then turns to Scott and asks him if he expects to go home tonight. Scott says, “I expect that whatever God has in store for me is gonna happen.” He then goes off onto this tangent about how none of us are perfect and none of us will ever be perfect blah blah blah, and I think this is largely in response to the negative press Scott has received as of late, but that’s just me. Anyway, the inevitable cannot be put off any longer, and Ryan announces that Scott is…safe. That means that Nikko Smith is out of the competition and the first male finalist to be eliminated. Nikko takes the news very well and promises that we haven’t seen the last of him. We then get the requisite video tribute and final performance, and the show comes to a close.

We’re now down to our Elite Eight, people. What challenges will next week’s theme provide for our finalists? Tune in Tuesday night to find out!

To contact the author of this recap, send e-mail to lobeck@fansofrealitytv.com.

Vonzell, you sang “People”. Unfortunately, there must not have been enough people out there voting for you, because you are also in the Bottom Three this week -Lobeck

Hey Lobeck,
    I think this one got "lost in the mix" with all the chatter going on about the other show with Nadia gettin the boot.
    Just wanted to acknowledge your hard work and how much I love your recaps!

And, what I quoted, people complain a lot but, I wonder how many actually vote. I wouldn't feel it was okay to complain about Nadia if I hadn't worked so hard to try and vote for her (and bug the hell out of everyone I know to help me out) I was working and knew she was in trouble. Oh well.

As always !! Great recap!!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Nice job, Lobeck! Thank you!

In fact, it sounds to me like Fantasia does more screaming than actual singing. When she’s done, Ryan asks her if she has any advice for this year’s group of finalists . Fantasia’s advice? “Just go out there and get ugly.” Um, OK…words to live by, that’s for sure…

Good point!

+ Reply to Thread