+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Idol' Style Makes Itself Heard

'Idol' Style Makes Itself Heard

'Idol' style makes itself heard
    By Karen Thomas, USA TODAY

When it comes to style, American Idol (Tuesday on Fox, 8 ET/PT) contestants have come a long way. In four seasons, they've gone from blue-jeans-wearing, down-home crooners to fashion-forward hipsters.

This season, the stage has sparkled with trendy square glasses and sexy hats on the fellas and daring hairstyles, metallic tops and designer shoes on the gals.

"No matter what they put on, it looks right," Idol judge Randy Jackson says. "They've got more style than any group we've ever had."

Many came into the competition looking good. But that doesn't mean they can escape getting pointers from the show's stylists some more than others.

Nadia Turner, Jackson says, is this season's strongest example of a style maven who needs little help. She has worn one-shoulder tops, ultra miniskirts and, for one memorable performance, an 8-inch-high mohawk.

Bo Bice and Constantine Maroulis have their own fashion sense. The long hair, '60s-style jeans, duster jackets and boots are "appropriate" for their rock 'n' roll style, and they won't get much tweaking, says head stylist Miles Siggins, who steps in at the finalist stage.

The show "could do a whole Bon Jovi makeover on them, but how would the public take that?" asks Hollywood stylist and Idol fan Brian Primeaux. This season's contestants are so polished, "you could sign a deal without any restyling."

Besides rehearsing for each week's performance, contestants have seven days to shop for killer clothes. Each performer gets enough money to buy "one great outfit," and Siggins recommends that the Idol wannabes spend their budget on Tuesday's performance costume.

If the current crop seems a bit more style-savvy, it could be because the age limit was bumped up from 26 to 28, bringing in slightly older, more sophisticated pop-star rivals. Of the eight finalists set to perform tonight, four are over 26.

"Most of them this year seem a lot more mature than years in the past, in part because they increased the age range," says Siggins, who has styled final contestants for three seasons.

Post-Idol, fashion and the right look can be even more important. Former Idol champ Kelly Clarkson, for example, continues to hone her sense of style.

"She's so above and beyond stylistically (compared with her Idol days)," Primeaux says. "Image is part of the music biz."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ol-style_x.htm

Vonzell has the best female style on the show and Nikko had the best male style on the show too. You could tell those two picked what they wanted to wear and not the un-needed stylists they hire...
    Destiny's Child "Greatest Hits" Out on October 25
    Kelly Rowland and Trina's New Video Premiere on October 4th on BET

A Friggin' Princess HueyDueyLuey961's Avatar
    Now, I like fashion, but I really doubt that USA Today has absolutely no stories and must write about American Idol fashion. I just don't get it.
    In Production Now- Decision 2005: A FoRT Game

As a matter of fact, I was a member of the Council on BB:TC.

I downloaded a video clip of a show aired only in the Philippines from a Jasmine Trias fan site. She stated that the contestants were given US $450 each week to spend on their outfits. (Also mentioned that she used up about $450 on the designer black dress she wore for the Top 3 Special last season... maybe they were given extra cash since that week they had 3 shows?)

I wish I was given that amount of money each week just to buy clothes! ^-^
    I definitely think Vonzell has the best style sense out of all the girls featured from the semi-finals till now. Very cool!
    Last edited by Tickety; 04-16-2005 at 09:33 AM.
    2003-2008.

It will be interesting to see what 70s vintage clothes the contestants will buy! Although, I am sure Bo's Grandma made something real nice for him!

I love seeing my teen son dress in some of my old 70s clothes! He gets the bandana around his forehead, my old Army jacket complete with LOVE patch, or my leather vest with fringes, jeans with lots of holes in them and a few pendants ... He thinks it's weird that I used to date guys that would look like THAT!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

one thing i don't get is that since th4e age limit was 28...why are Constantine and Bo in it? they would have been 29 when they auditioned...

Quote Originally Posted by |eogeO
    one thing i don't get is that since th4e age limit was 28...why are Constantine and Bo in it? they would have been 29 when they auditioned...
    They were both 28 & turned 29 after the auditions.

I liked Bo's comment that he feels like a big brother to some of the others. I immediately thought of Anthony, who at 19 years is the youngest. This has to be a positive experience for them!

Did anyone get the idea that each contestant had their own room, but then they showed Bo and Constantine in one room? Would this mean that Carrie and Vonzell are roommates? Just curious.

Kariann1 , I think that the contestants share apartments(probably 2 to each apartment) and they showed the living room of Bo and Connie's. I could be wrong though... Anyway, what has been you guys' your favorite contestant outfit this season?
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast