+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It is really weird to say

I actually just started watching AI last year, and I already find myself annoyed with this year. While I feel the talent is better this year, I do see Simon's pressure to vote for who he likes. He even goes so far to say America listens to him, but don't you believe he is right? It does seem that if Simon does not like that person he or she ends up in the bottom three.

Quote Originally Posted by deblyn
    I actually just started watching AI last year, and I already find myself annoyed with this year. While I feel the talent is better this year, I do see Simon's pressure to vote for who he likes. He even goes so far to say America listens to him, but don't you believe he is right? It does seem that if Simon does not like that person he or she ends up in the bottom three.
    Actually, Simon didn't like Diana Degarmo (he still goes around bashing her) but she ended up as one of the last two. Fantasia was the judges pick and of course she won. Ditto with Ruben.

I don't vote based on who the judges like or dislike (I think it's subjective) but I vote for who I like. Last year I hated the judges pick (Fantasia - didn't hate her personally, just her voice) and hated the way they kept shoving her down our throats. They even brought in heavyweights like Clive Davis to push her a little further...and it worked.

This year I happen the like Simon's pick Carrie...the worst thing Carrie has going for her are people who will backlash against her when their favorites get voted off. So I don't know if she'll win even if she deserves it.

RubyRed,
    I have not voted based on the judges' statements either. I realize it is a matter of taste, but I think it is sad to see that it seems as though some people base their votes on Simon's say.

Quote Originally Posted by deblyn
    RubyRed,
    I have not voted based on the judges' statements either. I realize it is a matter of taste, but I think it is sad to see that it seems as though some people base their votes on Simon's say.
    And also sad to see that some place thier votes strictly to rub it in Simons face. He likes so & so well I'll show him & vote for this & that!!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    And also sad to see that some place thier votes strictly to rub it in Simons face. He likes so & so well I'll show him & vote for this & that!!
    Exactly, this should be a pure vote based on the public's preferences, rather than let's vote for who Simon says or vote against what he says, just because he said it. Let's be honest, do we really want the American Idol to win because of what Simon said?

Yes, I totally agree!!! Although there is a lot of talent this year, I am not enjoying AI like I did last year. Last year (and 2 years ago) were my 2 favorite seasons. I do statistics on how well each reality show does each week (just my opinion of course) and of the 7 weeks AI aired (excluding the auditions), AI only got 2 positive weeks and of those 2 weeks, only outlasted all of the other shows once and came in last place three times! That's not good at all. Here's how I see it:

Week 1 semifinals - positive (first place)
    Week 2 semifinals - negative - Aloha was voted off!
    Week 3 semifinals - negative (last place) - Nikko was voted off and Scott made the Top 12!
    Week 1 finals - positive
    Week 2 finals - negative (last place) - Although this was one of the best weeks, performance wise, Nadia was in the bottom three (and deservingly so too.) Unfortunately, all of the other shows I watched resulted in a much stronger performance than Idol did and with no flaws or mistakes. Also, this is the first week where Simon's comments regarding Carrie made me sick to my stomach! Therefore, AI deserved to have a negative for that week.
    Week 3 finals - negative - Nadia was in the bottom 3 -- again (and this time, undeservingly so!!!) Nuff Said!!!
    Week 4 finals - negative (last place) - Nadia is safe, but Nikko is eliminated. The strongest negative week so far and a well -desrved last place finish!

It's like I said on the Apprentice forum -- I am liking the Apprentice more than I do American Idol!!! (Apprentice has 10 out of 11 positive weeks, 9 of them which are first place victories -- including the task no team won and no last place finishes!) Now that's inspiration!

Anyways, what else I don't like about this season is that Simon is biased towards Carrie. I can't stand that at all!!! Based on his comments, it is obvious that he wants Carrie to win and since he knows full well that his comments carry a lot of weight towards voting, he takes full advantage of it! Nadia is keeping me going for now, but if she goes, I don't know if I can watch the rest of the season!!! Nadia is the reason I am watching (like Fantasia last year) right now. And Nikko's leave doesn't help things at all!

I think that this season is going downhill, even with a truckload full of talented contestants!
    Last edited by E-Daddy; 04-09-2005 at 07:51 PM.
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Daddy
    Yes, I totally agree!!! Although there is a lot of talent this year, I am not enjoying AI like I did last year. Last year (and 2 years ago) were my 2 favorite seasons. I do statistics on how well each reality show does each week (just my opinion of course) and of the 7 weeks AI aired (excluding the auditions), AI only got 2 positive weeks and of those 2 weeks, only outlasted all of the other shows once and came in last place three times! That's not good at all. Here's how I see it:
    Can you elp me understand what sort of analysis you are doing to determine the positive and negative ratings you list? Are you looking at the dailies for the shows? I didn't quite follow and obviously you are a serious watcher. Thanks

I guess I am going to be the voice of opposition here.

First I am a total idol addict: I watched the first season of POP IDOL and have been in States for all of the AI seasons.

I believe that season is the best of all four seasons talent wise. Personally I am glad that they cut out all the background information on the contestants and the getting to know you stuff. For me the show is primarly about singing and who is the best singer.

Now, that doesn't mean I agree with the votes, as none of my favourites are left

But I still like this season more than any of the others on vocal talent alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Candybar
    Can you elp me understand what sort of analysis you are doing to determine the positive and negative ratings you list? Are you looking at the dailies for the shows? I didn't quite follow and obviously you are a serious watcher. Thanks
    Certainly!!! It depends on how all of the shows do as a whole. If all the shows do good, then one small negative event on one show will cause that show to lose.

Example: On AI finals week 2, Nadia was in the bottom three. This is a tiny negative event. However, all of my other shows did very well with no mistakes. So, AI got last place for that week and was considerd a negative week!!! I explained that in my previous post.

The exact opposite can occur too. If all the shows do poorly, then one small positive event will cause that show to win!

A perfect example is the week on the Apprentice in which no one won their task. Kristen was fired that week (which was a positive event.) There were no positive events at all on all my other shows, so Apprentice wins that week and gets a positive week, despite no one winning the task!

In any case, if one of my favorites gets eliminated, that show gets an instant negative for that week (except in the rarest cases in which I won't explain here.) My eliminated favorites so far are Aloha & Nikko. Therefore, Semifinals 2, Seminals 3, & Finals 4 all have negative weeks as a result!

Finally, in the finale, if a contestant that I dislike wins, its an instant negative (with no chance of it becoming positive).

Example: Kimberly winning Wickedly Perfect.

I hope that answers your question!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

I agree with most of you, I'm not enjoying this season much. What really wrecked it for me was Mario making it into the Top 12, and then quitting for "personal reasons." I loooooooooved Mario, he probably would have won! So that kind of made me stop watching and picking favourites. Now I watch it if I'm bored and I don't really care anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast