+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Disrespect

You get what you vote for Y2Kevbug11's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    Hmmmmm. It's almost the same as your drunk Uncle Albert telling you how great your dress looks at the family Christmas party. Nice to hear but you could really do without him checking out your legs.
    Perfect! I think we hear enough pandering from Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    If Paula were a baby seal I would understand why people club them.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think Simon is harder than the other two because he has the most to lose from this. His record company is offering the contract, after all. I usually don't mind Randy but Paula gets on my nerves. What with her drunkeness and that dang seal clap. (does anyone else feel the urge to bark like a seal when she claps?)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I don't mind Paula.

Someone needs to be the buffer and getting up and singing on national television has GOT to be hard. Yes, they need to hear the truth, but it's nice to have someone offset the harsh words and give them some sort of silver lining. Seasoned performers have years of experience under their belt, so they've had a chance to develop thick skin. These kids are usually just starting out and beating them down week after week without some sort of positive reinforcement is almost cruel.
    I think that Paula actually does a disservice to the performers by constanting telling them how great they are. When she tells them they are "perfect" and "wonderful" and "amazing", then they have no incentive to change. Sure, Simon can bring the nasty -- when Paula even gives him a chance to speak.

So the performers get a minute of praise from Paula and 10 seconds of critique from Simon (which usually isn't too constructive, since he's rarely able to get more than a snarky soundbite out before Paula jumps all over him).

I agree with Warhol that the whole thing is AI "schtick". But, after 4 seasons, it's getting pretty tired.

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    i like the giant buzzer idea
    Praise seitan!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I don't mind Paula.

Someone needs to be the buffer and getting up and singing on national television has GOT to be hard. Yes, they need to hear the truth, but it's nice to have someone offset the harsh words and give them some sort of silver lining. Seasoned performers have years of experience under their belt, so they've had a chance to develop thick skin. These kids are usually just starting out and beating them down week after week without some sort of positive reinforcement is almost cruel.
    I use to not mind Paula and I don't mind she goes easy on the idols, but this season she's really getting on my nerves. She is biased and does prefer certain types of singers (read dancers & RnB types) she just isn't as mean about it as the others. In that sense I think she is a good balance.

She just seems over the top this year...giving cheerleader types cheers to her favorites, screaming at Randy & Simon, always interrupting Simon, and it appears to me she might be a little jealous of Carrie.

[QUOTE=RubyRed]She just seems over the top this year...giving cheerleader types cheers to her favorites, screaming at Randy & Simon, always interrupting Simon,

I agree. I think she used to fill a role so the singers could have one friend on the panel of judges, but she seems to have added a lot of personal baggage over the last two seasons culminating into the mess we see this year. She is beyond annoying and I hope the producers try to rope her in a little and let Simon speak.

You get what you vote for Y2Kevbug11's Avatar
    I just love when she makes absolutely no sense.

"You are the epitome to American Idol."

You don't act as the epitome TO something. Like the ambassador to something. I'm the ambassador to the epitome to American Idol.

If Paula wants to say something nice about the contestant and to give them something positive to work with, that's fine. But what irritates me is how she interrupts Simon and her childish, embarassing behaviour when it comes to her favourites. She acts like a teeny-bopper in front of Bo, Constantine and Nikko, gushing and squealing "I am falling IN LOVE with you!" and acting like an immature, excitable little girl, begging to keep Bo's hat, refusing to give it back. I almost expect her to jump onto the table and start doing a dance or even a striptease to one of Bo's songs. I seriously wonder if she pees her pants from excitement when Bo jumps onto the judges' table. Regarding the interrupting, Simon only has enough time to say "that was hideous" before Paula immediately jumps all over him with "WHAT!?!?!? SIMON, SHUT UP!!! JUST SHUT UP!!!" without even giving Simon a chance to explain WHY the performance was hideous. She lunges across his lap and puts her hand on his mouth. Even Ryan Seacrest (and occasionally Randy) are interrupting Simon now. Ryan just cuts him off and introduces the next contestant before Simon even has a chance to finish his thoughts. All of the contestants know that getting a compliment from Simon means that their performance really IS wonderful. Paula just goes ga-ga for anyone who busts a move.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I wonder how widespread these feelings are off of this board.

If Paula wants to give kind remarks, she used at least makes sure they're relavent to the performance. Her comments come out of the great beyond somewhere. Then again, I heard she has a new album coming out so she is trying to gain support.

Ryan, Paula and Randy all need to stop interrupting Simonso much. It does not make good tv, it's awkward.

If they get rid of Paula we won't be able to play our favorite AI game - "What the Hell is Paula On Tonite?"

Her interrupting Simon has gotten more aggressive and annoying this season. It's even worse when the audience chimes in with their booing making her think she's right. Seacrest getting in on the rude interruptions is the worst of it. Why is he there anyway? A monkey could do his job.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." B. Russell

+ Reply to Thread