+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Format of AI for remaining weeks

Yes, it is every man for himself. If TPTB manipulate the votes like some believe they do, they could still end up with a male/female finale...

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Yes, it is every man for himself. If TPTB manipulate the votes like some believe they do, they could still end up with a male/female finale...
    Yeah, but why would they want to? Season 2's male-male showdown is still the high point of AI finales in terms of viewership, and last year's female-female finale wasn't too shabby in terms of ratings, either.

Frankly, I think 19E would love a Bo-Mario or Bo-Constantine or maybe even a Mario-Anthony final 2, because it would guarantee the winner wouldn't be a white female (Kelly) or African-American male (Ruben) or female (Fantasia) winner. They want this year's winner to be different, I think. I believe Simon's even on record saying something to that effect. Mario and Bo or Constantine would also be different from previous winners (and close runners-up) in terms of musical style.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 03-11-2005 at 06:56 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Gris, my point was that it could still be every man for himself and they could still end up with a male/female finale if they wanted to by manipulating the votes (if they do indeed do that)...that's all...

Oh, I guess I misread your point initially. Sorry.
    If you mean that the voting can only be influenced to a point, you're right.

I actually think they prefer a male winner this year -- Mario would probably be their favorite -- but Carrie or Nadia could have a good shot at the final 2 or even the title.

I wonder how long ahead of time the "theme" nights are decided and whether they are strategically chosen and scheduled to favor particular contestants.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    I wonder how long ahead of time the "theme" nights are decided and whether they are strategically chosen and scheduled to favor particular contestants.
    I was thinking the same thing! There aren't a great number of gals we could call Divas as there were last year. I would assume the first show who compliment most everyone's voice. I also wonder if they are going to have the "Featured Artist" theme even though Guest Judges will not be used? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    Oh, I guess I misread your point initially. Sorry.
    If you mean that the voting can only be influenced to a point, you're right.

I actually think they prefer a male winner this year -- Mario would probably be their favorite -- but Carrie or Nadia could have a good shot at the final 2 or even the title.

Last year they waited for Big Band night until the week after John Stevens was voted out. I believe they knew he had no shot at winning & didn't want to showcase him any more than necessary.

I think they clearly want a male winner this year, and we should be prepared for the judging and press comments to be biased in that direction. And, yes, I very much think that tptb have a huge influence over the results of the show. Why did we see so much of the guys during the auditions. Even Carrie (who was supposedly magical) and Nadia hardly sung during the Hollywood auditions.

The males are definitely better this year, but so are the females (at least in terms of depth).

That said, my personal fave to win is a male -- Anwar -- but I am still waiting to see how Carrie, Bo, Jessica, and Nikko do. I love Nadia, but I have always favored the vocal talents (since this is a singing contest, and ultimately results in a recording artist that I will rarely see perform the song).

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Last year they waited for Big Band night until the week after John Stevens was voted out. I believe they knew he had no shot at winning & didn't want to showcase him any more than necessary.
    Per the phone conference call with Nigel Lythgoe that I took part in, which week would be Big Band Week was decided before the season ever started. It had nothing to do with showcasing (or not wanting to showcase) John Stevens.

FORT Fogey
    I doubt they have a preference for a male or female. This is all about who is going to make them money and the voters are the ones who will buy the CD's.

They have said the males are stronger this season but that in no way implies it would be their choice to have a male. At the time that was said, Nadia had not shown what she had and Simon has always said Carrie was a contender for the win. He seems to favor both of these women along with Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Per the phone conference call with Nigel Lythgoe that I took part in, which week would be Big Band Week was decided before the season ever started. It had nothing to do with showcasing (or not wanting to showcase) John Stevens.
    Thanks for this information, Lobeck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12