+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Themes

Weekly Themes

I'm very excited about the "Theme Weeks" ahead....
    Question ...
    What kind of themes do you want to see, and what would you like the contestants to sing according to that theme?

Name Your desired theme & make a list of songs for all of the contestants to sing... (We have no idea as of yet as to who will be in the Top 12, but let's assume & make a list with who we have at this point... & so on) It can be revised at your discretion as the competition continues.
    Have Fun!

I have always wanted them to have a rock theme and I think that since Constantine and Bo will probably both make it to the final 12, they finally will.
    I'm tired of motown, soul, and country themes. I really liked the movie sountrack theme from last year.
    I think the themes work best when they are very broad. Decades would be good.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I have always had issues with the theme nights.. but now I see why they have them. People like Bo, Carrie, etc.. have already kinda pigoned holed themselves in to one style or another and theme nights force them to pick a type of song that they don’t normally do. It really can even it out.. however, it's not always the best way to do so. Just because one person can't sing a Motown song.. or a rock song doesn't mean they are any less of a talent.

Most of the time the "themes" are broad enough not to force round pegs into square holes. And if a performance is outstanding, the contestant can often get by with 'fudging' the genre.

E.g., if the "theme" is songs by a songwriter who has written lots of songs, e.g., Diane Warren, Billy Joel, or Elton John, the list usually includes a variety of genres. If it's a "decade" or something like "Oscar Winning Songs" or "movie night," that's also very broad. Even a theme like "country rock" was interpreted pretty broadly on AI2. And last year several pop songs from the '50s and '60s got through on so-called "big band night" without a peep from the judges.

Kim Locke covered Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" on "country rock night" in AI2, and her performance was neither country nor rock, but it blew the judges away so much that they raved about it and didn't even comment on her "forgetting the theme." And other contestants have done country versions of r&b songs, up-tempo Gospel versions of ballads, and soft rock versions of harder rock songs.

Now that AI has added live instrumental backup, there should not be a problem providing genre-appropriate backup for rock, etc., if someone wants to do that.

I don't think the judges are looking for someone who sounds really country one week, "Broadway" the next, "soul" the next, and boy-band/bubble-gum pop the next. I think they want someone who can take a wide variety of tunes, lyrics, and rhythms and put their own distinctive style on them.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

How about 21st century songs? Haven't been familiar with some of the songs so far so not sure how many would have been in this category so far. It's interesting that in UK shows we seem to go for more contemporary pop. e.g we have a celebrity charity show on nightly at the minute and although it's for Comic Relief we've had Hey Ya, Vertigo, Feel ( Robbie Williams ) , Whole again ( Atomic Kitten ) etc
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    Most of the time the "themes" are broad enough not to force round pegs into square holes. And if a performance is outstanding, the contestant can often get by with 'fudging' the genre.
    I am also one who agrees with this assessment! I am glad BoBoFan started this thread.

Since I am a Grandma, my music tastes may be different than many of you. I also realize many artists have blocked their music from being used on AI. However, I do have some favorites!

MOTOWN will never be tiring for me, not when there are over 1,000 songs to choose from!! I would recommend the gals select songs by a male lead singer while the guys choose a female's song. There is no reason a contestant cannot choose a GROUP'S song!

Other choices would include: NEIL DIAMOND, ELVIS, THE BEATLES, JOURNEY, and MADONNA.

Yes, I said Madonna! What a catalog of work to choose from! If you don't think she's a good singer, then the contestants have their work cut out for them! I especially love her DANCE songs.

Themes would include: FILM MUSIC THEMES, BIG BAND, FOLK, ROCK (or Rock 'N Roll), and the 1950s.

Many themes can include 21st C. songs. However, more recently written songs are probably a lot harder - if not impossible - to get cleared for use on the show.

I'd hate to see Ai focus too much on 21st C. songs,* though, because it would be too limiting. The 21st C. is only a few years old. That wouldn't give you very many really good songs to choose from.

*I'm not counting recent covers of older songs as "21st C. songs."
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1

MOTOWN will never be tiring for me, not when there are over 1,000 songs to choose from!!

I feel the same way. Long live Motown!
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    Many themes can include 21st C. songs. However, more recently written songs are probably a lot harder - if not impossible - to get cleared for use on the show.

I'd hate to see Ai focus too much on 21st C. songs,* though, because it would be too limiting. The 21st C. is only a few years old. That wouldn't give you very many really good songs to choose from.

*I'm not counting recent covers of older songs as "21st C. songs."
    It's just a different idea for a theme and there could be lots to choose from, but not sure why it would be any different for the "rights". Wasn't there an Idol show in Oz or somewhere that had current chart songs as a theme?

Does anyone know what the problem is with song rights and talent shows?
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I love Motown - they gotta have that this year seriously, its like tradition! But actually I dont like themes which pigeonhole certain contestants, ie - if they did Rock this year for Bo and Constantine, or if they did Country for Carrie and Jessica, because I feel that there would be a whole lot of pressure on these contestants to deliver. Last year a lot of people were annoyed that young John got put out before Big Band Week, however I still feel he wouldnt have delivered, as he would have had so much expectations of him, so this would have made him feel under more pressure.

However typical previous themes Ive loved are -
    Movies and Bee Gees as they have provided a lot of good performance oppurtunities.
    Mario Vazquez - Still My American Idol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast