+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Constantine Maroulis

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think Simon was trying to give him legitimate business advice, and he certainly wasn't "confused".
    He was giving him legitimate business advice for selling himself in a pop market. A business that has no place for artists who have broad diversity and artistic vision. Both things Constantine has and what many fans have appreciated. (A refreshing alternative from many one style / one note / safe song performers - comments that have never been made about Constantine.)

My statement was that they were confused how to market him. I'm not confident that Simon and Randy (not sure about Paula) ever got the whole picture with Constantine. C, himself, has said he likes to mix it up and Simon has said he never knew what was going to come out of him. If he understood him, he'd know that this is the beauty of his work and the mark of an artist.

Doesn't really matter - he is immensely better off.
    Last edited by redmermaid; 05-13-2005 at 04:06 PM.

I just noticed that official Fox page has videos up, and I just watched Constantine's Bohemian Rhapsody again. Now I really miss seeing Constantine on stage. But I suppose they all will be back next week for a cheesy group number
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    But I suppose they all will be back next week for a cheesy group number
    I could of gone all week without that reminder.
    Gotta The Fort
    The place that keeps you in touch with reality!

Quote Originally Posted by jocelyns
    I don't think the point of that article is that Simon causes people to vote against their wishes. He influences people who are on the fence; but, more importantly, he makes it digestible to everyone when the "correct" person wins. For example, even though most people did not care that much for Fantasia, it was accepted when she won because Simon praised her for so long. I happened to like Fantasia and was happy when she won, but I never believed she was fairly voted to the top.

Why won't American Idol give us the vote numbers at the end of each elimination show? What's the big secret?
    I definitely had that feeling last year but even more so the year before with Clay and Ruben!

I had never read the small print at the end of the program but it really seems the final decision in a close race for the winner could be made by the producers. I imagine 95% of people who watch the show have never read that itty bitty paragraph! It made me lose faith in the voting results!

I thoroughly enjoyed Constantine's performances! He was NEVER boring!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    WOW...more for him than any other contestant....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_Maroulis

Biography
    Constantine is the third and youngest offspring of James and Constance Maroulis; with an older brother Athan, who is 11 years older and older sister Anastacia, who is 8 years older. He also has a cousin, with an identical name (known as "Gus") who passed away on September 11, 2001.

Although he was born in Brooklyn, New York, he spent most of his formative years in the suburbs of Wyckoff, New Jersey before living in Manhattan after college.

Maroulis demonstrating his trademark sly smile.When he was in high school, he didn't appreciate the name 'Constantine' because teachers and peers were having a difficult time correctly pronouncing and spelling the popular Greek name. As a result, he insisted on being referred to as "Dean." However, as soon as he hit puberty, matured, and grew older, he learned to appreciate his unique Greek heritage.

Maroulis, a 2002 graduate of the prestigious Boston Conservatory (http://www.bostonconservatory.edu/) and a 1993 graduate of Ramapo High School in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, is a Greek American from New York City and makes a living singing, acting, and writing, including appearing in the national tour of the Broadway show Rent, playing the role of "Roger Davis." He is also the lead singer of the rock band Pray for the Soul of Betty who have appeared at Lollapalooza, Rock in Rio, and the Rolling Rock Town Fair. Contrary to what was portrayed on the reality TV series, he did not quit his band, only took a temporary leave of absence to join American Idol, and returned after he was voted off. His rendition of the Queen classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" earned him the praise of judges, including Simon Cowell, who said, "That was astonishing."

In August 2001, he played Hedwig in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". He was also the winning contestant on the dating show Elimidate on location in Boston before he auditioned for American Idol. Other notable theatrical perfomances include roles in Macbeth and Jesus Christ Superstar.

On October 12, 2001, Maroulis appeared in the episode entitled "Stolen (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...34/epid-80325/)" (Season 3, Episode 46) of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit He has also appeared in several independent films (i.e, The Strangler's Wife) and provided the voice of Mechanic #1 in Warner Brother's Japanese animated series, AstroBoy.

Constantine on Elimidate.On April 27, 2005, Maroulis was voted off American Idol after he performed Nickelback's "How You Remind Me" during 2000's music week. His sixth-place ouster caused much shock and outrage from fans and is noted as having made Paula Abdul cry.

On May 10, 2005, Pray for the Soul of Betty released their self-titled debut album on the 'Koch' (http://www.kochentertainment.com/pra...oulofbetty.htm) record label. Constantine can also be heard on the American Idol Season 4 - The Showstoppers CD singing "My Funny Valentine", a performance which earned praise during Musicals theme week.

American Idol Journey
    25,483. What does this number mean to you? To Constantine, it means the beginning of a journey, a new destination. In the summer of 2004, a good friend of his, Jessica Fields, urged him to audition for the hit music reality series. Despite a few modest complaints as, "I'm probably too old", nevertheless, 28-year-old Constantine found himself catching a bus from New York City to Washington, DC for the Season 4 auditions: waiting in line for his turn to meet with Paula, Randy, and Simon. From there, the rest is history.

Performances
    Date
    Theme
    Song Title
    Artist

April 26
    Top 6: 2000s
    "How You Remind Me"
    Nickelback

April 19
    Top 7: Disco
    "Nights On Broadway"
    Bee Gees

April 12
    Top 8: Birth Year
    "Bohemian Rhapsody"
    Queen

April 5
    Top 9: Musicals
    "My Funny Valentine"
    Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart

March 29
    Top 10: 1990s
    "I Can't Make You Love Me"
    George Michael/Bonnie Raitt

March 22
    Top 11: Billboard Hits
    "I Think I Love You"
    Partridge Family

March 15
    Top 12: 1960s
    "You've Made Me So Very Happy "
    Blood, Sweat & Tears

March 8
    Top 8 Boys
    "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
    The Police

March 1
    Top 10 Boys
    "Hard To Handle"
    Black Crowes

Feb 22
    Top 12 Boys
    "Kiss From A Rose"
    Seal

Pre-2005
    Audition
    "Cryin'"
    Aerosmith

Memorable Quotes
    "I'm gonna keep rockin. Crazier things have happened in my life, and I'm just really blessed to have gotten this far."
    "I feel really blessed to have gotten this far and to have known all of you."
    "Dude, let's rock this thang."
    "People know me now."
    "It [American Idol] was written in the stars for me."
    "I think I'll remember all the great people and the Cast and Ricky and the band and all the judges and all the awesome production team. All the producers. I love all you guys."
    "I have no regrets and when I'm 90 years old in a rocking chair, I'll look back and just smile."
    "Go Pistons!"

Exit Speech
    I probably could have done the song better, probably could have picked a better song, but uhh I like to think that I go out there each week and just show versatility, take risks, have some fun with the people, you know, work the crowd, do my thing, and uhh you know, you win some you lose some. Honestly, an amazing opportunity. Im just so grateful that you guys kept me on the show so long. All the fans- thank you. My family was amazingly supportive and uhh everyone on the show was uhh just they're just great people. This entire experience has been just surreal you know from day one, from the audition to now. So Im just grateful. Its the greatest time of my life, the greatest people of my life, uhh I'm getting choked up thinking about it, honestly. Where else in the entire galaxy could you find someone to put you on, you know, in front of a billion people worldwide? I mean, my band was getting emails from every country you can imagine. Its just insane seeing your picture all over magazines and billboards and people talking about [Go Constantine go go go!!!!!] you.... Unreal. Honestly. I stay balanced because umm Ive been humbled by my years and years of, you know, (laughs) rejection and uhh getting my butt kicked at school, at the conservatory by teachers that make Simon look like a smurf. Ok, these guys would rip me up. So you know, I developed strong skin, you know, thick skin over the years and uhh I have a great family and a great group of friends and a great band and amazing people here on the show. Everyone at 19- amazing. Fox, and Idol- they have this incredible show, a great vehicle for people to like go out there and perform and become essentially a star overnight. Its insane. Just get off the couch and come here and do it because there are so many amazing singers out there that no one has ever heard of and might not ever get to, to share that beautiful music with, you know what Im saying? Just go for it. Look at me. This is an amazing opportunity for young people and uhh I hope that they you know maybe will dig one of the other kids and push them through and uhh you know, I think, I think, we cant lose with any of these people that are left and hopefully, you know, this will open a lot of doors for me and I won't have to go back to bartending or selling real estate or washing dishes and I can just, just create. Thats what I would like to do. Thank you. Thanks you guys.

Trademarks
    Blue and grey pinstripes
    Dramatic performances on American Idol
    Leather jacket
    Long hair
    Sly smile
    That hand gesture \m/

Notable Quotes
    "Cheese is the new cool."
    "As a professor used to say to me, it's life or death out there so make it happen."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks for posting, bbnbama. I'm missing my Constantine fix. I can't wait 'til the concert. At least I have my PFTSOB CD to remember him by. I don't know how many of you other fans have bought the CD, but it really rocks. Hubby and I were jamming to the Day in the car a few days ago when he suddenly turned down the sound and did a great imitation of Randy saying "I'm just not feeling you as a rocker, Dude." We laughed so hard, because, while AI was a wonderful opportunity for Constantine, he really didn't fit into any of their neat little niches. It's all good though, because he certainly got the exposure he needed to further his career (and PFTSOB). Constantine, You Rock!

ETA: PFTSOB is #15 on both Billboard's top internet album and top independent album charts.
    Last edited by Dinahann; 05-28-2005 at 03:16 PM.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

www.tvguide.com
    click on soaps, then previews, then CBS!
    CBS soaps rule!!! I knew I loved Gabby on B & B... the girl has awesome taste!!!

IDOL HEARTS
    Did you know American Idol's Constantine Maroulis has a soap-opera connection? The 29-year-old Greek rocker was recently romantically involved with suds actress Shanelle Workman (Gabriella, The Bold and the Beautiful; ex-Flash, One Life to Live).

"I did date Constantine for a little bit," Workman tells TVGuide.com, then laughingly adds: "But he likes the women, so we went out on a few dates and now we're friends. He's hilarious. He's a great guy."

Given how quickly he gained heartthrob status on Idol, it's not hard to see why Constantine would have trouble tying himself down to just one gal. "It's interesting dating somebody who's just becoming famous," Workman shares. "Even though they don't want to change, it's hard. It's weird how much people do change and they don't realize it. I've been in show business since I was 6, and I know fame comes and goes, so I'm more realistic. Fame is not real. I work well with guys who are famous because I keep it down to earth."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic
    Did anyone see him wipe out during an interview after the final? I apologize if this has already been posted, and I'm not bashing Constantine - he thought it was funny too. He was doing some of his trademark gestures for the camera. Apparently, one of them is kicking his leg up really high? (I didn't watch closely enough this season to notice.) Anyway, yep, you guessed it - he kicked really high and down he went - right on his arse. It was hilarious and FOX kept playing it over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla
    Did anyone see him wipe out during an interview after the final? I apologize if this has already been posted, and I'm not bashing Constantine - he thought it was funny too. He was doing some of his trademark gestures for the camera. Apparently, one of them is kicking his leg up really high? (I didn't watch closely enough this season to notice.) Anyway, yep, you guessed it - he kicked really high and down he went - right on his arse. It was hilarious and FOX kept playing it over and over.
    Oh I wish I could of seen that!!!
    Gotta The Fort
    The place that keeps you in touch with reality!

Constantine to sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" for Queen tribute album "Killer Queen"

http://celebrity.aol.com/people/atao...077935,00.html

(excerpt below (emphasis added) click on link for full article)

Constantine Maroulis
    American Idol's other rocker talks about savoring fame and settling down
    Friday Jul 01, 2005 6:00am ESTBy Serena Kappes

He didn't win American Idol, but Constantine Maroulis's career is going strong. The 29-year-old rocker from Brooklyn, N.Y., is heading out on the road with Carrie Underwood, Bo Bice and the rest of the top 10 Idol finalists on the American Idols Live! Tour 2005, which kicks off July 12 in Sunrise, Fla. And the 2002 Boston Conservatory grad who's still based in New York City also has plans for a solo album and, hopefully, his own TV show. Maroulis talked to PEOPLE about kicking out the jams, ignoring the "haters" and wanting to be a dad.

How are tour rehearsals going?
    They're going really well. We have a great show in store for everyone. We're really stoked.

What can people expect?
    Big group numbers, lots of solo time, a great band and a big light show. It's gonna be hot. I'm going to be doing three songs I did from the show and one of them is "Bohemian Rhapsody," so I'm really excited about that.

How's life post-Idol?
    I've been very busy and very grateful. I got really lucky. I sort of hit the jackpot here with the opportunities. Everyone's talking to me about doing my own album. We're trying to figure out the right place to make that happen it would go down after the tour sometime. Look for that in the late fall. And I'm on the Killer Queen record, which is a tribute to Queen with a bunch of rock stars on it Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age, Sum 41, Joss Stone, Gavin DeGraw. I did "Bohemian Rhapsody." It's going to be out in August.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread