+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Constantine Maroulis

Leo
    Premium Member
    19E refers to 19 Entertainment Ltd., the company that is actually behind American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    19E refers to 19 Entertainment Ltd., the company that is actually behind American Idol.

AHHH, thank you!

Thanks much jocelyns for the link to AI's "dirty little secret." I've passed this important info along to the Bo and Nadia threads.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    hmmmm....makes them pretty smart all the way around, huh? Think there is any kind of "loophole" that might allow Constantine to profit from it..like say, maybe at a later date...2 years or so from now?! Monies to be held in escrow, etc???
    The band or individuals could make some small investments that will both grow them some money and give them a pool to re-invest in themselves, by funding their own future projects.

While not giving C anything from the initial profit from the album, they can "share" the benefits of the money (anything they buy or earn in interest in the future). And if they wanted to maximize what they give to C, they could give him an amount equal to the interest coming in over time, and pay the other guys out of the base money.

All this is possible only if: there's enough to invest, they want to share, they don't have a lot of old debts to settle, they don't want to buy a lot of stuff now, etc. They'd have to have an accountant keeping track of it all along so no one would else would be able to claim Constantine signed that new interest money away.

Lex
    When a contestant leaves the show, I try to eveluate whether or not I would want to buy his/her future album. For Constantine, I'm not sure. It depends on what direction he takes his music in. If he goes with rock, I won't pick it up. I didn't like many of his rock songs on the show. But, if he goes with more pop-ish songs, I'll probably buy his album.

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    This still sounds like fan board speculation, to me. Again, since Connie recorded the album before the contest, I don't see how the show could have a claim to it, regardless when it's released. Also, it seems inconceivable to me that Constantine would give up his rights to something he created before AI. Is there a link to an interview with Connie, his parents or his band, in which they confirm this speculation?
    The show can claim that he is gaining from the exposure they provided by releasing while the publicity from the show would directly benefit sales. When it is released, in this case, is central to its success.

I don't remember where the writings of his signing over rights has appeared. I think it was in the news articles that announced the release of the distribution deal. 19 would most likely be taking legal action if he hadn't covered his tail.

He won't be talking much about it as it shows he was a step ahead, legally, of 19. He is bound to make all the spin about AI as positive as he can at this stage. He's not going to alienate himself or slap the hand that gave him the opportuntiy to gain national exposure.

And here's another fun article about Connie and Betty. Again, no mention of the speculation about Connie "giving up his rights" to the band's output. In fact, there is a reference to Connie possibly recording again with the band on his "downtime."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/150...headlines=true

"Constantine Maroulis was first introduced to "American Idol" buffs in this season's opener, during a six-minute segment in which the New Yorker with long locks and powerful pipes broke it to his hard-rockin' band, Pray for the Soul of Betty, that he'd be competing for the show's title.

Drummer Hamboussi — yes, just Hamboussi — didn't appear to take the news too well, throwing his drumsticks down in anger and storming away from the band's practice space.

But appearances can be deceiving. Hamboussi said he realized at the time that Maroulis' decision to make the pop-star switch could be one of the best things to ever happen to Pray for the Soul of Betty. And he was right.

The band's self-titled record — recorded in 2003 and 2004, long before Maroulis auditioned for Simon, Paula and Randy — will hit retail shelves on May 10, thanks to a deal the band inked this week with Koch Records. So then what was up with that hissy fit, Hamboussi?

"It was basically editing on the show's part," he explained. "Basically, right after a gig, the band usually does a little trashing of the stage. Like, I trashed my drums and there was no reason for me not to do that at the end of us playing. We played the song, I trashed my drums and I left the stage. They took that piece and put it at the end of my interview and made it sound and look like I was upset and left the room. But in reality, I knew exactly what was going on, what the show would do for the band. I mean, I gave them what they wanted. It's television."

Hamboussi described the 2-year-old band's DYI disc as sounding like a cross between Audioslave and Incubus. The disc's 10 tracks feature "Idol" wannabe Maroulis on vocals, as well as the guitar work of Joao Joya and the bass-slappin' of Taylor, C.R. Though Hamboussi said the album is definitely heavy, it "has hits on it too — there's a ballad." More importantly, the record will provide fans of Maroulis with what they hope they'll be getting a lot more of after the series' May 24 and 25 finales: Constantine's voice, on demand.

Hamboussi said he's not worried about the future of Pray for the Soul of Betty — even if Maroulis wins the competition and becomes America's next big pop sensation.

"I'm sure he'll make time for the band," he said. "Usually, when you get to a position like [the one he's in now], you have a little push and pull. So even if they have him tied up for several months, I'm sure we'll play and record on his downtime. If they don't make him happy, he can say, 'I'm done with you guys — f--- you.' As long as he wants to be in our band, he can do whatever he wants."
    When it comes to how Hamboussi thinks Maroulis will do on "American Idol," he's pretty confident his friend "has the skills to do it," but "if it's true what they say about 'American Idol,' that America really votes, then it's really up to the country."

However, when asked if he's voted for his band's frontman himself, Hamboussi replied, "No."

Get "Idol"-ized on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions."
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-10-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Okay, after searching wide and far, I found an article that refers to Constantine "signing over his rights." But it also says he won't be legally allowed to tour with the band--something he clearly intends to do (even tho he's still beholden to 19E as a finalist.) The whole thing sounds confusing--like there is a missing piece of information

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7611977/

Some excerpts:

"Maroulis signed over the rights to his bandmates before joining "Idol," so the self-titled album isn't owned by the show, a publicist for "American Idol" confirmed Friday.

The long-haired rocker is one of six remaining in the contest, where he has emerged as a heartthrob candidate for young girls. Earlier in the season, the show documented Maroulis informing the band of his "Idol" intentions. Though some members then seemed upset about the more mainstream direction, they are now quite happy for the publicity.

The reason why he's doing ‘American Idol’ is for the band, not for anything else," drummer Hamboussi told The Associated Press Friday, adding that Maroulis and the band remain tight.

"(On ‘American Idol’) he doesn't get the bass drum or the guitar hitting him in the back of the head," Hamboussi said.

Giovanna Melchiorre, a spokeswoman for Koch, said that while Maroulis won't be able to tour with the band, "Legally, I think we're OK."

Quote Originally Posted by jocelyns
    Constantine's fans were rabid. These people organized nationwide collections for gifts to send him. They showed their outrage at his vote-off by catapulting the Pray for the Soul of Betty CD up to #2 on the Amazon top sellers list, overnight. Most of them don't even like that music, they were just showing support for Constantine. These are the type of people that would walk around with their cordless phones, hitting redial, for two hours. Apathy? Doesn't fit.

Here's an excerpt from an interesting article by Tim Manners of FastCompany Sales and Marketing:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/resources...rs/050905.html

To me, this is all so obvious -- most of the people I know don't watch American Idol. Of those that do, most do not vote. So that leaves the fan bases who do the voting.

It is just as obvious to me that the judges keep forcing certain contestants down our throats. Simon went on Oprah talking about Carrie's "IT" factor (which I have yet to see). Simon went on Oprah talking about how Ruben should win. I don't know if he went on for Fantasia, but I know he was pimping her strongly.

I'd like to believe we live in a world where big-time TV producers are fair with the public. But I think they believe they are smarter than the public, and would never leave the decision of in whom they would invest millions of dollars in our hands.

JMO.
    In the end though, it is still America who votes for who they like, and I believe the research that says very few people actually take the time to vote.

To me, the argument that Simon unduly influences voting is a strawman of the highest order. Said another way, basically the author asserts that all of america except for those "who get it" are stupid and easily led by the opinion of a fanatical englishman.

Is anyone here driven to vote against their own wishes by the power of Simon? It is the job of the judges to give their opinion. That is not conspiracy, it is the point of the entire freaking show.

Getting to #2 on Amazons sales list for a day is easy to do. Some authors have driven it themselves with bulk buys of their own books.

Constantine was weak early on compared to the competition, he started getting much better, then he started eye f'ing the camera every chance he got, and combined that with a very poor performance the week he was voted off. It is far more plausible that he simply lost the vote, than any other completely unsubstantiated conspiracy claim.

The worst of all being trumped up stuff about his former band being a problem to 19E. 19E could care less about a CD that was so bad, no one would publish it for two years.

I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but come on, every season talented people get voted off this show. Opinions differ greatly as to who is good and who isn't, and gosh darn it, America might just disagree with you.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    In the end though, it is still America who votes for who they like, and I believe the research that says very few people actually take the time to vote.

To me, the argument that Simon unduly influences voting is a strawman of the highest order. Said another way, basically the author asserts that all of america except for those "who get it" are stupid and easily led by the opinion of a fanatical englishman.

Is anyone here driven to vote against their own wishes by the power of Simon? It is the job of the judges to give their opinion. That is not conspiracy, it is the point of the entire freaking show.

Great post, Bill.

+ Reply to Thread