+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 123 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1230
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Constantine Maroulis

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    I still can't understand Constantine being voted off. The only thing that makes sense is that his fans figured he was safe and either didn't vote or voted for someone else they thought more vulnerable. One bad performance might land him in the bottom 3, but not out altogether.

Another theory I have is that he was making new fans based on his switch from the rocker to the pop/crooner and when he went back to rock, they switched their vote. I have to admit I didn't like him much at first, but thought he was really good with the pop and dramatic stuff. Also, listening back to his last performance, it didn't sound that bad to me.

Ah well...he will land on his feet I'm sure.
    I couldn't agree more, Misty. Every single contestant has had a bad performance; I think that it was a combination of factors that resulted in Connie leaving.

1) Apathetic fans: he had never been in the bottom 3, so they probably thought he was a sure deal.

2) The Switch from Rocker to Pop/Crooner, had a lot to do with it. Think of all the famous singers out there, that when they switch genres, they get Boo'd and Hiss'd from their previous fans. Queen Latefah (sp.) and Rod Stewart come to mind immediately. He hadn't yet built up a significant fan base before the Rockers dropped him.

3) The VFTW website. If, and it's a BIG "if", they did have something to do with it, it only takes ONE vote for someone to leave. Having 2 million votes + one vote= Staying power, for that week.

However, I am content to know that I'll be listening to Constantine in the future, and I'm going to be going to the Idol concert when it hits Chicago.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    I couldn't agree more, Misty. Every single contestant has had a bad performance; I think that it was a combination of factors that resulted in Connie leaving.

1) Apathetic fans: he had never been in the bottom 3, so they probably thought he was a sure deal.

2) The Switch from Rocker to Pop/Crooner, had a lot to do with it. Think of all the famous singers out there, that when they switch genres, they get Boo'd and Hiss'd from their previous fans. Queen Latefah (sp.) and Rod Stewart come to mind immediately. He hadn't yet built up a significant fan base before the Rockers dropped him.

3) The VFTW website. If, and it's a BIG "if", they did have something to do with it, it only takes ONE vote for someone to leave. Having 2 million votes + one vote= Staying power, for that week.

However, I am content to know that I'll be listening to Constantine in the future, and I'm going to be going to the Idol concert when it hits Chicago.
    Lambikins, after a week and a half space from Black Wednesday (as they call it on another board) I think that if the results were real it WAS a combination of things. There's a blog somewhere out there that really wrote about this eloquently. I wish I could remember where I saw it!

Your #2 point about the switch to rocker, combined with the album deal of his band, may have sent a signal to the public that THIS is what we can expect of him inthr future, now that the band has inked a deal. His popularity started to soar when he went more traditional with I Can't Make You Love Me, Funny Valentine, etc. Those very fans probably enjoyed his range - within limits. The last performance with the hard rock promise of the future through the band was probably alientating to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by cake
    Here are the weekly bottom group:

Lindsey, Jessica, Mikalah
    Mikalah, Anthony, Nadia
    Jessica, Anwar, Nadia
    Nikko, Scott, Vonzell
    Nadia, Bo, Scott
    Anwar, Anthony, Scott
    Constantine, Anthony, Vonzell
    Scott, Anthony

Scott is in the bottom group on weeks 4,5 6, and 8. Surely his ouster seemed imminent by week 7. On week 7, not only is he not out, but he doesn't even make it into the bottom three. Coincidentally this same week, Constantine, who has never been in the bottom three, is not only in the bottom group, but the lowest vote getter. In my opinion, this makes a great case that Constantine and Scott's votes got switched. A computer error. If you switched their positions that week so that the bottom group was Scott, Anthony and Vonzell, with Scott going, everything makes sense.
    Cake, I think this is the best theory out there! Good work!
    I do think Constantine will do fine having not won, but I just miss watching him NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by cake
    In my opinion, this makes a great case that Constantine and Scott's votes got switched. A computer error. If you switched their positions that week so that the bottom group was Scott, Anthony and Vonzell, with Scott going, everything makes sense. Anthony makes sense. Vonzell makes sense. Scott getting the boot makes sense. Constantine remaining in the top group makes sense. Especially considering both Anthony and Scott hit the bottom group the following week.
    Except for the fact that that week was the week that the votefortheworst website became widespread public knowledge. Because of all of the added publicity, I'm sure you had people jumping on that *humorous* bandwagon which, while previously irrelevant, now had a greater effect on the voting.

That, in itself, would explain why Scott was safe that week and Constantine took the hit. There doesn't need to be a great conspiracy (ie computer error) to explain it away.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by emily5
    I do think Constantine will do fine having not won, but I just miss watching him NOW!
    Cake: Let me echo emily5's sentiments: GREAT WORK on digging up the Bottom #3! I had wanted to know just how many times Scott was in the bottom, but was too lazy to go through the effort. I'm glad someone had more initiative than I did.

Computer error or VFTW, you're right, redmermaid, Black Wednesday can't be changed. (Love the description, by the way!)
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by emily5
    No, this is a silly theory, and since no one else seems to want to say it, I guess I will. A computer error? That is completely laughable, and Cake's assembling the list of Bottom 3's, though diligent work, doesn't even suggest that, let alone prove it.

Season after season we have at least two or three shocking vote results. Fantasia was in the Bottom Two last season. Ruben was Bottom Three at least once, maybe twice. Meanwhile, every season a raft of weaker-singing contestants last longer than many people think they should. Yet, every time a Tamyra or Latoya or Constantine make a surprise exit, we're subjected to their most rabid fans, still in the 'denial' stage of grief, dreaming up outlandish conspiracy theories that even Oliver Stone wouldn't touch. Come on folks, it's been four years already! The voting patterns of AI are soundly established by now:
    • If you bring down the house, you're safe (but you may be very vulnerable the following week if you don't follow up; Jessica learned this in AI4, and Amy Adams is the all-time poster girl for it.)
    • If you have a terrible week and you have a fan base, you're safe, they'll pull out all the stops to save you.
    • If Simon rips you rudely, you're probably safe on the backlash vote. Same if you're taking a beating in the media, at least for a little while.
    • And if you're a good singer who has an off-week or makes a poor song selection, you're very, very vulnerable, because your fan base won't sense the danger and vote like maniacs, while your less-devoted fans are voting for someone else that week or watching House or taking out the trash. Which is exactly what happened to Constantine.

A computer error? Please.
    19E rigged the vote in anger because of the Betty signing? The vote is independently audited as per law, and the lawsuit if anything like that were to occur is such that the next place you'd see Randy, Paula, and Simon is in adjoining cardboard boxes underneath an I-5 on-ramp.
    Vote For The Worst? That is, no pun intended, the worst theory of all. The site didn't exist in AI1 or AI2, and in AI3 virtually nobody knew of it, yet we had the same established voting patterns. Twice a year, around #7 and #4, a favorite gets sent home. So now VFTW shows up in AI4, and it doesn't change the voting patterns one iota, yet because some needs-a-life kid claims his site is the reason, people believe him? Yowch. PT Barnum was right -- there really is a sucker born every minute.

Given the fact that his band signed a record deal that same week (but with a minor label that can't possibly offer anything close to what Constantine and his mates would have had if he'd won AI), I'll concede it's just barely conceivable that Connie asked to withdraw from the competition. I'd make the odds at least 20-1 against, but it's not impossible.

The most likely theory is that Constantine turned in a rare poor performance (which he did) but it wasn't bad enough to raise the sirens among his most fervent fans (which it obviously didn't), and, unluckily for him, of his two weakest competitors, Anthony happened to sing very well, and while Scott sang horrendously, Simon made a needlessly rude comment that fired up Scott's fan base. Result: Instead of finishing fourth, Connie fell to sixth. Class dismissed.

FORT Newbie
    As much as it hurts me to admit it, I think dpiranha is correct. I know I am a rabid Constantine fan and I didn't vote that night because I received an important phone call after the show and I had a false sense of his security. I am furious with myself, but considering I don't have any special power voting apparatus I hardly feel that my measly 20 or so votes caused his ouster. The thing is if several thousand people assumed incorrectly as I did that he was safe we sure learned a horrible lesson. It is possible that Constantine suffered because of our apathy and I will never forgive myself.

The good news is that he will become a superstar, heck he already is! I can't wait to receive my Pray For The Soul Of Betty CD that I pre-ordered from Amazon online. For any other fan out there, make sure to buy a copy of the CD which goes on sale Tues. May 10th. Let's let him know how much we support his career outside of the AI machine.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistex
    As much as it hurts me to admit it, I think dpiranha is correct.
    Thanks Blistex. I liked Constantine too (his singing is just OK, but he really grew on me from week to week, moreso than any other contestant in any of the three AI seasons I've watched), and I already miss his clever song choices and his campy but enormously entertaining performances. But, his ouster was One Of Those Things rather than A Conspiracy Is Afoot.

On the bright side, this morning I checked the news on My Yahoo. You know how they have those banner ads touting their Yahoo search engine, listing the most popular searches in a particular category? #1 in "Most Popular TV Searches" this week was "Constantine Maroulis", complete with a 1x1 picture of Connie in the banner ad. Also in the top 8 searches was "Carrie Underwood". So there's no question he made a real mark on a lot of people.

Get me to the FORT now
    The album was recorded before Constantine went on the Idol show and he signed over his rights to his band mates before he went on the show. Does this mean that Con does not get any $$ out of the release of this album?

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carsdia
    The album was recorded before Constantine went on the Idol show and he signed over his rights to his band mates before he went on the show. Does this mean that Con does not get any $$ out of the release of this album?
    I believe that means he is not entitled to any money. It doesn't stop the band members from sharing it with him if they choose. Given that it is Constantine's name that is selling the album at the moment, I think they will "thank" him in some way.

+ Reply to Thread