+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 429 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 4281
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

  1. #71
    FORT Regular j2dap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    123
    I like Carrie a lot, but I don't think she'll last. She's emerging as a front runner right now, but that will change. No one stands out that much so early on and takes it all the way. There are still quite a few performances left, she'll flub at least one and Simon will be singing a different tune. Don't get me wrong, I like her a lot (she's totally hot), but my strategic side doesn't think she's the winner. I think Aloha has pretty good chances.

  2. #72
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    46
    This show is all about VERSATILITY. Which means, you have to know how to perform, sing and entertain in different pop genre --- Country, Soul, Big Band, Latin style, R&B, music of the 60's, 60's and 80's, etc.

    In fact, with a show like this, I can already see singing stars like these who won't win if they were to join --- Tammy Wynnete, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, and even Paula Abdul.

    It remains to be seen whether Carrie can prove her versatility with her country roots and all.

  3. #73
    yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! tashedeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Philippines
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9

    i love her!!!!

    i really hope that she goes farther into this competition... i like her

  4. #74
    FORT Fogey AIer_admirer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    That state that's split up by the bay
    Posts
    1,341
    As a vocalist, she's superior. I'd buy her CD. As a performer, that remains to be seen. Still, one of my favorites.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

  5. #75
    Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,690
    After that performance, she's my favorite.

  6. #76
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,658
    Quote Originally Posted by balladman
    This show is all about VERSATILITY. Which means, you have to know how to perform, sing and entertain in different pop genre --- Country, Soul, Big Band, Latin style, R&B, music of the 60's, 60's and 80's, etc.

    In fact, with a show like this, I can already see singing stars like these who won't win if they were to join --- Tammy Wynnete, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, and even Paula Abdul.

    It remains to be seen whether Carrie can prove her versatility with her country roots and all.
    It is most unfortunate that her "country roots" keep getting brought up. I think at this point she could come out & sing a medley of Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath & Frank Zappa & someone would say, You know I just don't like that country stuff, let's hear her sing something else. Once a seed like this is planted it sure is hard to get rid of it. I have no doubt that she can do other things.

  7. #77
    FORT Fan McMw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    166
    seems to me that carrie will always sing ballads...boring!!!
    she might struggle with the up-tempo songs, which is where she'll be found out in the finals...

    hope I'm wrong...but...

  8. #78
    FORT Fan writergirl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    200
    Country music has evolved so much over the past few years that it no longer deserves the negative stereotypes it once held. Actually, I don't feel like it ever deserved that, but it got a bad rap. I think a lot of that comes from people not actually listening to the music, but just going by what they have heard from other people. But, anyway, today, many country artists are also pop artists. Look at the cross over appeal of Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Faith Hill and Martina McBride. There are many others. Just because a person likes to sing country music doesn't mean their style is actually country. Not all country music stars sing about pick-up trucks, their dogs dying, and that sort of thing. Gretchen Wilson sings that type of song, but not the others mentioned above. Carrie Underwood is like those people. She will have the widespread appeal. Please don't judge her just because you feel she is country.

  9. #79
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,658
    Quote Originally Posted by writergirl26
    Country music has evolved so much over the past few years that it no longer deserves the negative stereotypes it once held. Actually, I don't feel like it ever deserved that, but it got a bad rap. I think a lot of that comes from people not actually listening to the music, but just going by what they have heard from other people. But, anyway, today, many country artists are also pop artists. Look at the cross over appeal of Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Faith Hill and Martina McBride. There are many others. Just because a person likes to sing country music doesn't mean their style is actually country. Not all country music stars sing about pick-up trucks, their dogs dying, and that sort of thing. Gretchen Wilson sings that type of song, but not the others mentioned above. Carrie Underwood is like those people. She will have the widespread appeal. Please don't judge her just because you feel she is country.
    I said it once before & I'll say it again, Country Music to a large degree is now a throwback to the country rock of the 60's & 70's. It isn't the twangy stuff that we all know. Yes there is still some of that but it is falling away as more & more young people come into the genre. The first song Carrie sang was by Bonnie Riatt & after the song Simon called Carrie a country singer. Now Bonnie Riatt is anything but country. She is best know for the blues & her incredible slide guitar work. Bonnie is also in the ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME. Let Freedom Ring is probably closer to country but even that can be a crossover song as popular as it was. The third song she sang was by Tiffany & to the best of my knowledge she wasn't a big country favorite. Simon always tends to label people & then they have a hell of a time getting rid of that label. Just because Simon says it it doesn't necessarily make it so.

  10. #80
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    It is most unfortunate that her "country roots" keep getting brought up. I think at this point she could come out & sing a medley of Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath & Frank Zappa & someone would say, You know I just don't like that country stuff, let's hear her sing something else. Once a seed like this is planted it sure is hard to get rid of it. I have no doubt that she can do other things.
    Carrie has actually been performing ALL TYPES OF SONGS since she was a girl of 3. Her Chorus teacher for example tells us that she was a model student who could immediately master a song no matter how difficult it is without complaints.

    It is also well known that she has been performing at many festivites around Oklahoma.

    The 3 songs that stuck in my mind during the prelims and the elimination rounds were -- I Can't Make You Love Me ( a very couuntry sound she gave ), she then performed Martina Mcbride's INDEPENDENCE DAY and was asked to stop midway when she sang the chorus : LET FREEDOM RING ( Simon apparently had seen enough to let her move on ). Well, that was country too. At the first girl's elimination night -- She sang -- Could've Been, a song performed by a long forgotten pop star -- Tiffany. I don't even know if you could classify this as country. I guess you could. My friend let me hear a recording Tiffany did on this song. I compared it with Carrie's version and it was NO CONTEST. Carrie's version was much better sounding.

    The only thing NOT in doubt is this -- She has a great voice. Now, as a performer who can electrify the crowds ? Thats something we still have to see. It is very difficult to find someone like Kelly Clarkson. It remains to be seen whether Carrie can make people forget the first AI winner.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.