+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 429 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119169 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

FORT Fanatic
    Why do I think Carrie is the best technical singer in AI history? Because she is. Seriously, as a musician myself I've heard hundreds if not thousands of professional singers, and IMO she rates among the top 2%. Pure notes, pure vowels, near-perfect pitch, outstanding vocal control. She's not perfect -- her breath control is her one obvious weak spot; she sometimes swallows her words at the end of a line. Easily corrected with vocal lessons. She also sometimes oversings, but that's a problem she shares with 47 previous AI finalists. The one past AI contestant who might be her equal is Jennifer Roberts (and speaking of oversingers....)

Look, this doesn't mean I want her to win AI4. I don't. I think it's more than just a pure singing competition -- if it were, they could just sing scales for an hour every Tuesday. I agree with Warhol that you have to judge the total package. For that reason I prefer Bo, much prefered Nadia, slightly preferred Constantine, etc. But honestly, if I said I thought AI has ever had a better note-for-note singer than Carrie Underwood, I'd be lying. Whoever beats her has to overcome her enormous technical advantage and beat her with stage presence and personality. Those are just the facts.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha
    Whoever beats her has to overcome her enormous technical advantage and beat her with stage presence and personality. Those are just the facts.

I think that is the best way to sum it up at this point.

Lex
    Whoever beats her has to overcome her enormous technical advantage and beat her with stage presence and personality. Those are just the facts.
    I know nothing about technical singing. All I know is what I enjoy hearing about a person's voice. It's totally subjective, I know. Personally, I think Bo and Vonzell not only have better stage presence and personality than Carrie, but they also are better singers. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix
    I went to a John Denver concert back in the '70's and was definately NOT a fan. He sat on a stage in the middle of the Lake Charles Civic Center to a PACKED house. He totally put on a 'performance' that night and never got off his stool! Everyone was blown away with what a great show it was, just one song after another in a truly great voice.
    The big difference between John Denver and Carrie is soul and an emotional connection to the lyrics. Denver could practically make you cry through gentle modulation of his voice. He knew how to long to hold notes, when to let them go, when to sing loudly and when to practically whisper. You really believed him when he sang sadly "I'm leaving on a Jet Plane." In other words, he knew how to phrase a song. Carrie has little feel for how to convey the emotion of a song. Her voice is beautiful, her pitch is often perfect but her singing is emotionally tone deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres
    There are an awful lot of musical artists who have little or no stage presence, and many who DO just stand and sing.
    Most of you are probably too young to remember, but there was a time when a concert consisted of performers on the stage, primarily just standing their singing, playing instruments, etc. Talking a little with the audience maybe. And the audience would sit more or less quietly until a song was done, then they would applaud. I can remember going to country concerts with my mother when I was a kid that were like that. They were a lot more pleasant than today's concerts with the whooping and yelling and the performer feeling they have to "put on a show." I'm a person who thinks the music should be the show and be able to stand on it's own merit, not all the extraneous bells and whistles.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    Most of you are probably too young to remember, but there was a time when a concert consisted of performers on the stage, primarily just standing their singing, playing instruments, etc. Talking a little with the audience maybe. And the audience would sit more or less quietly until a song was done, then they would applaud. I can remember going to country concerts with my mother when I was a kid that were like that. They were a lot more pleasant than today's concerts with the whooping and yelling and the performer feeling they have to "put on a show." I'm a person who thinks the music should be the show and be able to stand on it's own merit, not all the extraneous bells and whistles.
    My brother recently bought the dvd "ABBA: The Definitive Collection". In all of the "videos", if you can call them that, the two girls who sing lead (Agnetha and Anna-Frid) demonstrate what we today would label "a lack of stage presence". Basically, they just stand there and sing, with a little swaying thrown in at times.

FORT Fogey
    The one past AI contestant who might be her equal is Jennifer Roberts (and speaking of oversingers....)
    Do you mean Jennifer Hudson?

I'd also have to say Clay ranks up there in terms of technical proficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    The big difference between John Denver and Carrie is soul and an emotional connection to the lyrics. Denver could practically make you cry through gentle modulation of his voice. He knew how to long to hold notes, when to let them go, when to sing loudly and when to practically whisper. You really believed him when he sang sadly "I'm leaving on a Jet Plane." In other words, he knew how to phrase a song. Carrie has little feel for how to convey the emotion of a song. Her voice is beautiful, her pitch is often perfect but her singing is emotionally tone deaf.
    Boy, you can say that again, pillbeam. John Denver's voice was a classic, though..few that have that quality. When he sang "Sunshine", it made you feel every emotion he conveyed in that song.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    To be fair, John Denver really came into the spotlight when he reached his 30's. Carrie is only 21 and has lots of time to develop that emotional connection. Besides, many singers display more "soul" when singing songs they wrote themselves, not when covering the hits of others.

FORT Regular
    Paula and Randy are actively trying to ruin Carries chances of winning, because of this I quit voting for Vonzell.

They want to play dirty...........we'll play dirty.

+ Reply to Thread