+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 424 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116166 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

No matter what Carrie sings, I always hear country. Maybe it's the inflections.
    I don't hear it either...I'm not much of a country fan except for Shania Twain & Faith Hill. I'd put Carrie in that group as far as voice quality though.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    No matter what Carrie sings, I always hear country. Maybe it's the inflections.
    If you heard country in Alone, Love is a Battelfield & Trouble you certainly hear things differently than I do.

FORT Fanatic
    When the competition began I really wanted Carrie to win. But as the competition has gone on she seems sorta less confident. I wouldn't be unhappy, if she won, and I know it may be somewhat of a long shot, but I think Vonzell *may* have a chance. Vonzell has a lot of charisma and personality, but I don't know if she is all that marketable. I was reading in one of the American Idol magazines, that Carrie wanted to be a tv reporter/journalist. I actually think Carrie is pretty smart, and to be honest she is probably cut out more as a tv anchor woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WakkaDakka
    I don't hear it either...I'm not much of a country fan except for Shania Twain & Faith Hill. I'd put Carrie in that group as far as voice quality though.
    I know the 2 ladies you referenced broke out in the Country field & sell most of their music to Country fans, but I hear them on pop stations just as often as I do on Country stations. When I hear them I just hear 2 unbelieveably talented artists that have universal appeal. I believe Carrie has the ability to follow the same path should be able to get her music heard in many different venues. I think she has the most upside of any person on the show this year & that is why Simon made his early comment about her selling more than any other Idol ever. Obviously that is up in the air but he definitely has $ signs in his eyes when her hears her sing.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Okay, Ruben is a double-platinum recording artist--and that's with an album that has both pop and hip-hop. That's "universal" enough for me.

And, yes, Fantasia blew her appearance on AI this year, but she thrilled a lot of us with her singing last year when she beat out the more "universal" (and boring) Diana DeGarmo. Fantasia won the competition, so she must have some universal appeal. Is Bo universal? Is Constantine? Is Nadia? Perhaps not, but that's okay with me. It's better to be "non-universal" than boring.

Pillbeam, we're talking apples and oranges here with our definitions of *universal.*

To go back to the beginning of the conversation, a poster indicated that they didn't want Carrie to win because the American Idol should be someone with more universal appeal, as they thought Carrie was too *country.* I don't personally hold this opinion... I don't care whether an Idol is a niche singer or not.

My point is that neither Ruben and Fantasia are universal... meaning they do not appeal to a wide variety of genres. Millions of records sold does not mean someone is *universally appealing.* Guns and Roses have sold MILLIONS of records, but I'm quite certain that they don't appeal to country music stations and audiences, nor do they appeal to R&B or hip hop audiences. Same goes for Metallica. And I'm quite certain you won't find (most) heavy metal headbangers going out and buying a Randy Travis CD.

And I agree with your last statement... it's better to be non-universal than boring. That's what I think we have in Bo, Carrie, and Vonzell. Each of them are niche singers... and that's perfectly fine with me because they all do it very well!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

looks like it'll be a carrie vs bo finale, unless Von does something magical in the penultimate week...

IF it does happen to be a Bo vs Carrie, I'm actually predicting that Carrie would blow it then...the whole experience would just be too overwhelming for her....whereas Bo, with his experience would just grab it by the neck and really be awesome...Bo to win...

a better finale (for me) would be Bo vs Von....then I can't pick a winner this far out...

I love Carrie, and I know she will win, whoever she's against!

"I'm actually predicting that Carrie would blow it then...the whole experience would just be too overwhelming for her...."

What is this suppose to mean????????

You make it sound like she will fall apart at the concept of competing with his highness... Don't count on it!!! (lol)

Interesting article I hope the mods let me post it.

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/storie...age=1&id=82768

Checotah Native Makes Final Four On "American Idol"

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ In the small eastern Oklahoma town of Checotah, area ranchers who gather at Katy's Cafe for breakfast usually talk about cattle prices or whether the crappie are biting at nearby Lake Eufaula.

Reality television typically doesn't top the list of conversation.

But that was before Checotah native Carrie Underwood became a finalist on the Fox television show ``American Idol.'' The 22-year-old senior at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, who withdrew this semester to continue on the show, is one of the final four contestants.

``Most of the time they're talking about cattle prices or politics,'' said 76-year-old Lloyd Jernigan, director of the Chamber of Commerce for the town of about 3,800. ``But Carrie is probably the number one conversation right now.''

Underwood's friends and family say the polite, quiet, small-town girl with the beautiful voice featured on the show is how they remember her as a child growing up in Checotah.

``She never did do anything out of line,'' said Carl Shatswell, Underwood's grandfather. ``You couldn't ask for any better youngster growing up.''

And while Shatswell described Underwood as quiet and shy, that description changed when it came to her singing.

``I figured she'd make something of it, because she's sung all of her life,'' he said. ``She went to Kansas one time and was singing on the bus. Her grandmother and me, we tried to get her to hush up, but the rest of the folks on there, they wanted her to keep singing.

``She was just three at the time.''

Holly Paulsboe, Underwood's sorority sister at Sigma Sigma Sigma at Northeastern, said Underwood was a dedicated member and a good student who also has an eclectic taste in music.

``Some people think she's strictly country, but there are other genres she likes,'' Paulsboe said. ``She listens to heavy metal too.''

Both Paulsboe and Underwood were pursuing degrees in mass communication.

In 2001, Underwood was the salutatorian of Checotah High School, which has about 450 students in grades 9-12.

Principal Pam Keeter said Underwood was always a good student who was dedicated to her studies and her musical pursuits.

``She's smart, polite, respectful,'' Keeter said. ``She's just one of those kids.''

Keeter did recall Underwood sported an unusual look when she delivered a speech at the high school graduation ceremony _ a black eye courtesy of a stray softball.

``She was playing softball and ended up with a black eye, and maybe even a broken nose,'' Keeter said. ``You might look at her and think she's real delicate, but she's no sissy. She just came up and gave that speech and kept going.''

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Try Baby Mama if you truly want a wake up call.
    Carrie has now sang Elvis, Pat Benatar, Heart, & Linda Ronstadt & she did well on all of them & yet she is still "Only a Country Singer". Truly amazing! She is the one person on this show that has stepped out of the box more often than any other. She has gotten more out of her comfort zone & showed other sides more often yet she is still discarded as a one trick pony. I don't get it.
    You also have to remember Fantasia sang alot of other songs while on American Idol that was just as great as Pat Benatar and so on, so you can't just say Fantasia sings "Baby Mama" it was a hit by the way, but it is just one of her songs that happened to be released and became a hit. Anyway in my opinion Carrie should not be the next American Idol, sure she has sang all of these great songs but they STILL had a country feel to it...which is her specialty. That's not exactly stepping out the box (in my opinion) I would be a bit more pleased if she showed some "umph" and personality while she sings. That doesn't mean just shaking the microphone and smiling.

+ Reply to Thread