+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 423 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Dancing Close To The Edge BusyMom4Boys's Avatar
    I think a lot of people make this connection between Kelley Clarkson and Carrie. (sweet, innocent, small town girl) And to me, ther is just NO comparison. Carrie just doesn't have the "it" factor. Whereas Kelly just owned the stage. In addition to be the strongest vocally, Kelly brought her songs to life. You couldn't help but tap your foot and/or sing along. Carrie sings beautifully (although I thought last night was a disaster, vocally. Yuck!) But, she has given us no glimpse into who she is or why certain songs affect her. (assuming they do) She is just flat somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom4Boys
    Exactly, Nemo.

Carrie has a lovely, pure voice. And she is certainly a beuatiful girl. However, she has zip stage presence, zero charisma. And worse yet, I have yet to see her make an emotional connection to a song. A talented artist tells a tale through their music. Just singing the lyrics is not enough.

She might sound "pretty"-- and she'd make a lovely albums of hypnotic lullabies. But, I'll pass. zzzzzz...
    Yes, I think she has hands down the best voice in this competition... technically. But singing technically perfect doesn't mean that you are a good singer. Connecting with the song you're singing is more important than singing perfectly in pitch and having a wide range. If we take for example Bo, who I think has one of the weakest voices technically. He doesn't have wide range but he really knows what to do with his voice. His voice feels good to the soul and makes shivers go down my spine. He doesn't have to choose songs to show his range 'cause he knows his limitations. That's why he chooses songs which are important to him. And you can definitely hear that as he can really connect with those songs. Carrie has succeeded with that only once, when she sang Could've been in the first semifinal. That was brilliant performance and that's what I wanna hear more. She needs to stop pleasing the judges and trying to showcase her voice, she needs to pick songs she loves instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally
    Agree Mudah.... Either some here are to young to remember or have forgotten what the style was then (lol) I'm not....
    Can you blame them for wanting to forget? The sad thing is that I had two kids who graduated high school in the 70's so I'm very aware of what they were wearing in Tennessee. I have forgotten a lot of things but I have albums full of pictures to remind me what kids looked like back then. It may not be pretty, but they and their friends thought that they looked cool and that was all that mattered. And some of their clothes looked remarkably like Carrie's dress did last night.

FORT Fanatic
    I think a lot of people make this connection between Kelley Clarkson and Carrie. (sweet, innocent, small town girl) And to me, ther is just NO comparison. Carrie just doesn't have the "it" factor. Whereas Kelly just owned the stage. In addition to be the strongest vocally, Kelly brought her songs to life. You couldn't help but tap your foot and/or sing along. Carrie sings beautifully (although I thought last night was a disaster, vocally. Yuck!) But, she has given us no glimpse into who she is or why certain songs affect her. (assuming they do) She is just flat somehow.
    While I agree that Carrie just doesn't have stage presence, I don't agree that Kelly brought her songs to life. I can't stand to listen to her.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo78
    Actually, if someone doesn't connect with the song or cannot transfer their emotions to the song, you'll hear it even without watching.
    And that's exactly how I feel about Constantine. I hear nothing but a very, very poor voice. With my eyes open, I cringe in disgust because I find him extremely unattractive and it just makes his voice sound that much worse. With my eyes shut, I'd just turn the radio off. He's just a notch or two above William Hung to me.

Now half of the problem with Carrie is that watching her is just like watching a deer in headlights. I think the visual is what makes people think that she doesn't connect with her songs.. .because she looks so vapid (albeit beautiful.) If you close your eyes, you have an absolutely beautiful voice that will be easily marketable.

I just keep thinking back to many people/bands that I've seen in concert. Shania Twain didn't tour for nearly three years because she had to be trained how to perform, yet she's the number one solo female artist/performer.. pop or country. The Cars were an EXTREMELY successful band, yet they had absolutely NO stage presence and would turn the lights off in between songs so they wouldn't have to talk with the audience. Power Station was another niche band full of successful artists that, combined, made me rip off my ears in pain because their live show was horrid.

I could go on and on with highly successful artists that stink as performers. Carrie doesn't deserve to be treated like she's pathetic when there's far worse people out there that have shown that it CAN be done.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    And that's exactly how I feel about Constantine. I hear nothing but a very, very poor voice. With my eyes open, I cringe in disgust because I find him extremely unattractive and it just makes his voice sound that much worse. With my eyes shut, I'd just turn the radio off. He's just a notch or two above William Hung to me.
    Broadway, I feel the exact some way that you do about Constantine. I can not stand to watch him perform at all. Last night, I did not look at him but just once the whole time he was performing. And thus, I noticed the eye makeup and then quickly turned away again. I think that he has the worst facial expressions and I'm surprised that Simon has not jumped all over this.

I also love your avatar!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway

Now half of the problem with Carrie is that watching her is just like watching a deer in headlights. I think the visual is what makes people think that she doesn't connect with her songs.. .because she looks so vapid (albeit beautiful.) If you close your eyes, you have an absolutely beautiful voice that will be easily marketable.

I just keep thinking back to many people/bands that I've seen in concert. Shania Twain didn't tour for nearly three years because she had to be trained how to perform, yet she's the number one solo female artist/performer.. pop or country. The Cars were an EXTREMELY successful band, yet they had absolutely NO stage presence and would turn the lights off in between songs so they wouldn't have to talk with the audience. Power Station was another niche band full of successful artists that, combined, made me rip off my ears in pain because their live show was horrid.

I could go on and on with highly successful artists that stink as performers. Carrie doesn't deserve to be treated like she's pathetic when there's far worse people out there that have shown that it CAN be done.

Broadway, I agree with everything you have said. Carrie has a very pure, natural, beautiful voice. With a little bit of performance training, she will be terrific.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I agree Carrie is best singer. Stage presence and showmanship can be learned but her voice is pure and beautiful. Just the type of entertainer they are looking to mould into a star.

Last night song while a odd choice showcased her range and power and that is why she received the comments she did. The way she held that final note was incredible!! She can sing ANYTHING decent and alot of things very well.
    Somebody help her with her costume choices...Simon cannot figure out how old she is..in his eyes she is either to old or to young??? It seems he wants to hear them sing songs in the "theme" but not look the part I guess.

Constantine just seems to want to be outragous every week to give his fans something to talk about rather than try to gather new fans for the votes.
    I guess he took Fantasia's comments to heart.

Bo is great at what he does...the only problem I think is it is the SAME week after week. Rock is the only thing he does well..I guess since we have never heard anything but. Getting so tired of the mic swinging and the hair swirling technique (same with Con).

Vonzell did a great job as a Nadia substitute but she seems to have alot of help from the background vocalists.

Anwar (yawn) in boring me to death! Anthony did much better than I have seen before but still not good enough to win. And Scott may have dodged a bullet last week and came out fighting with a decent performance last night but his negative comments and attitude have tainted his imagine with me beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    I bet she would at least belch in tune & look pretty hot doing it.

Um, OK...:rolleyes

While I think Carrie is a wonderful singer and a beautiful sweet girl that's going to do just fine whether she wins or not. Kelly has charisma that goes along with the voice and you can't teach charisma. I don't think it's fair to compare any A.I. singer to Kelly, A.I. was certainly very lucky to have her on their very 1st season.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread