+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 426 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103153 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    Photos from the Fox website:
    http://www.idolonfox.com/photosvideos/

Check out Carrie's photos from 3/1 and 3/8, then 4/6...
    OMG WHAT ARE THEY FEEDING HER!
    Yep, she's packin' it on, .. but she ain't the only one ... Vonzell's adding ARSE at a rate of about 5 lbs. per week!

FORT Fanatic

Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    For me, it was the fact that Simon's comment about her winning was downright belittling to every other contestant in the competition (and there were still quite a few competitors at the time he said that).

In addition, he was quoted in a February article as saying the rest were just a bunch of untalented wannabees, and he went on to insult 2 previous AI winners too.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...idol%20winners

So, to me he sounds close-minded (he's not gonna consider anyone else) AND egotistical (he really believes he can actually fully judge a person based on a couple 2-minute samples). What a dope.

As a result, I felt like I needed to consider everyone else besides Carrie, since they were getting shut out so early. Sometimes it makes me want to NEVER vote for Carrie, if a close-minded/egotistical person is going to spend the entire season pumping her. (i.e. She'll get enough votes off Simon followers, she won't need mine...)

It's not really fair to Carrie to have to endure this backlash. But she's had many weeks to win me over since then and she still hasn't. Who knows, perhaps she still could? I don't hate her at all. But if she wants the title, she needs to EARN it through the WHOLE competition, not be given it at the very beginning.

I do feel that if Simon changes his mind and starts backing somebody else, then he ought to apologize to ALL the contestants for his mis-guided and premature comments.

Carrie is going to win because she can sing not because she can swing her hair, shake her booty and flirt, or be all theatrical. She just simply outsings everyone.

I do agree that Simon should just shut up. But she is my favourite and has been from the moment she has opened her mouth.
    Last edited by TLynnMartin; 04-20-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    Wow,

My first thought, when her performance started. God, is she stiff! She looked completely wooden. It also didn't help that I was unfamiliar with the song. "McArthur's Park" by Donna Summer. Thus I was unable to accurately rate her singing.

Frankly, I give points to Carrie for selecting an obscure song like this. She resisted the temptation to choose a more listener friendly song. Kudos to you, kid.

Where was I? Ah yes, her stiffness. I agree the first few moments were an embaressment. A little wooden puppet girl. But I think as the show went on, Carrie loosened up. A loyal fan of hers, I must admit that Carrie lacks stage charisma. It has never been an issue for me, since I focus more on her looks and vocals.

Thank you
    McArthur Park Park was a disco anthem in the 70's. Maybe the disco version of Freebird..... It certainly is not an obscure song.

Carrie started the song out awfully. Her singing got better, but it was a very boring performance. She didn't move, and her singing was simply not enough to excite me.

And her clothes choices....... Most of the time her outfits are simply awful.

Having said that, I actually like Carrie. A few weeks ago I thought she deserved to win the whole thing. Now, I think if she doesn't have a few good weeks, she deserves to go home.

I agree Felix.

The song while it appears to have meaningless lyrics demonstrated the vocal range and power of her instrument (beautiful voice). She attempted to dress in the era which cost her the comment from Simon. I think my response to it would be "so lets stop with this stupid theme crud and let us sing what I want to!"

She can be taught dance and stage showmanship. ( her parents seem to have spent the money on her voice.. shame on them) . She has a beautiful face and the rest will come with some help. She has confidence in her singing abilities and that is huge.

Also remember that Bo and Constantine have had YEARS of practice developing their stage presence. Frankly I'm tired of them swinging that micraphone around on stage..it is distracting.

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the 70's, but the dress that Carrie was wearing looked like the garb we wore then. Pathetic, huh?
    I have heard her sing better, but then that's true for most of the others too. Carrie is still my #1 choice, followed by Scott.

Agree Mudah.... Either some here are to young to remember or have forgotten what the style was then (lol) I'm not....

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Yeah, those are silly lyrics [in MacArthur Park] to talk about lost love etc, but like I said Carrie should have gotten it (having days to practise it), but somehow I think she just doesn't bother to try to understand a song, she just learns the lyrics by heart and she thinks she is done.
    That's what bothers me about Carrie--she seems so remote from the lyrics, although I think she was "feelin' " MacArthur Park lyrics better than past songs she's done. Singing involves so much more than a pretty voice and a huge vocal range. Interpretation of lyrics (not just vocal quality) is key to singing ability. I don't care that she stands like a wooden soldier onstage--Ruben stood absolutely stock still for his performances but evoked a lot of tender emotion with most of his songs.

I do think Simon is dead wrong about Carrie's outfits. I think it's refreshing that she doesn't look like Britany Spears, Avril Lavigne or even Kelly Clarkson and other folks her age. Carrie pays attention to the eras of her songs fashion-wise, and I give her props for that. And I think her figure is lovely and represents the real American woman's figure.

Regarding MacArthur Park: I'm old enough to remember when this classic Jimmy Webb tune was recorded by Richard Harris (slow, 1960s) and Donna Summer (slow, then fast disco beat, 1970s). This song was a HUGE Top 40 hit for each artist. There's nothing obscure about Jimmy Webb, who was only in his teens when he penned this song and many other hits.

The song while it appears to have meaningless lyrics demonstrated the vocal range and power of her instrument (beautiful voice). She attempted to dress in the era which cost her the comment from Simon. I think my response to it would be "so lets stop with this stupid theme crud and let us sing what I want to!"
    Simon is being awful hard on her for the way she dresses lately. Do you think he is trying to convey to her that eventhough she has the best voice in the competition she needs to start looking like the American Idol?

I wish they'd just let them sing what they want to sing too.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the 70's, but the dress that Carrie was wearing looked like the garb we wore then. Pathetic, huh?
    I graduated from high school in the 70s and that dress looked nothing like what we used to wear! Disco dresses were typically made of soft satiny material (polyester lycra type stuff) and were tight on top and swingy on the bottom. Her dress looked more 1950s than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727
    I graduated from high school in the 70s and that dress looked nothing like what we used to wear! Disco dresses were typically made of soft satiny material (polyester lycra type stuff) and were tight on top and swingy on the bottom. Her dress looked more 1950s than anything.
    I liked the way Carrie looks because it's different, but she didn't completely get the '70s look. It wasn't really 1950s, either. Simon is obsessed with appearance. He has a new boy-band he's promoting, and each guy looks like a model. Boring singers, though.

+ Reply to Thread