+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 420 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeHottie69
    CARRIE ROCKS! I mean she really did. I miss two weeks and Bo drops, Constantine climbs and carrie rocked. She was awesome. She looked the best she ever has. Her hair was great. The song was good too. Its shows that she can do it all.

Go Carrie!

sara
    Carrie has no emotion, .. and absolutely NO dance ability. She typically swings her arms and hips 1 1/2 times faster than the beat, ...like she's deaf or something! Oopps, I think even deaf people can feel the vibrations and stay in rhythm! Carrie is likely headed for a Latoya London fate ... Front runner with no emotion = lost and forgotten a year later!

FORT Fan
    Wow,

A very contradictory performance. I love Carrie but this performance left me conflicted.

My first thought, when her performance started. God, is she stiff! She looked completely wooden. It also didn't help that I was unfamiliar with the song. "McArthur's Park" by Donna Summer. Thus I was unable to accurately rate her singing.

Frankly, I give points to Carrie for selecting an obscure song like this. She resisted the temptation to choose a more listener friendly song. Kudos to you, kid.

Where was I? Ah yes, her stiffness. I agree the first few moments were an embaressment. A little wooden puppet girl. But I think as the show went on, Carrie loosened up. A loyal fan of hers, I must admit that Carrie lacks stage charisma. It has never been an issue for me, since I focus more on her looks and vocals.

Stage charisma can be developed slowly. Vocal talent cannot. If stage charisma is so important, please explain to me why there are so many vapid Boybands (Westlife, InSync) out there. Their faces seem pretty one-note to me as I watch their music videos.

It's all a matter of taste I suppose. We all see things differently. I am from Singapore, but my guess is that most people assume a good singer must SING well. I think even her most harsh critic, must admit that Carrie has a technically excellent singing voice.

Really...I am astounded at the hatred shown at Carrie in boards like this. While you are welcome to your opinions, perhaps you should apply your own litmus test on the singing stars out there. Gloria Estefan, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston for example.

Are these singers completely without flaw? Do they wow you on every performance? My guess is probably not. Like I say, this is all about personal taste.

Carrie's voice was powerful tonight. I am unable to rate Carrie's performance against the original, but it was fairly well done. She was relying mainly on her vocals to carry this round. I've heard that Carrie reads many of the message boards, and thus is aware of her own strengths and weaknesses.

She knew that her stage movements still needed a lot of work, so she shifted to voice exhalation. Remember that last note of "McArthur Park"? That was highly impressive. I doubt Vonzell, Anthony or Scott could have equalled her.

As I've said before in other posts, Carrie is incredibly marketable. If she was as emotionless, dummy-like and wooden as you say, why has she not been voted off already. A large segment of America is behind her.

At least, for now.

Hmm...her parting comments with Ryan seemed a bit childish at first. "I don't understand the words". Are those lyris even supposed to make sense? Carrie chose that song because she liked the song.

Nothing more. Nothing less. That's a valid reason I suppose.

Now, I am hardly an impartial observer. Carrie is my favourite and I would like her to win or reach the final 2. But in all fairness, NONE of the contestants are perfect or as good as you claim them to be. They appeal to roughly different demographics. Different people.

This is an open board and I welcome your honest opinions. I may not want to agree with them, but that is neither here or there. I only ask that you consider honestly all aspects of a contestant before you pass judgement on them.

It will be a reflection of your fine character, if you can do so.

Thank you
    Last edited by felix; 04-20-2005 at 03:00 AM.

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    the fact that she's got the most hype by the judges leads to so much hate. she's going to win the competition whether you like it or not. the judges always see the most talented singers of each season and i've always agreed with them. this year is no different. though i would much prefer carrie to sing country music rather than the contrived american idol sappy song they'll make her sing, i'll be happy when she wins the competition this season.
    Praise seitan!

Lex
    My reasons for disliking Carrie just have to do with her singing. For the first few weeks of this competition, I thought of her as an okay singer. But, I thought her last two performances had really bad singing. I really don't care about her stage presence. I'm sure she'll take lesson on performance dancing. And I don't care that the judges are pushing her. I respect their opinion but it doesn't matter to me, especially since I almost always disagree with them.

This week, I tried to rethink my opinion of Carrie and try to see what people like about her. I came away from tonight thinking that she has potential, but I still think her singing sounded horrible.

felix, I don't like to be really negative and I think I've been a little too negative towards Carrie lately. I respect everyone here and I don't want to and I don't want to upset anyone with my opinion. So, I'll do my best to reign in my negativity.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex
    felix, I don't like to be really negative and I think I've been a little too negative towards Carrie lately. I respect everyone here and I don't want to and I don't want to upset anyone with my opinion. So, I'll do my best to reign in my negativity.
    Point taken, Lex. Like I said it all about personal taste. I enjoy Carrie, you less so. (Smile) We are all different people. Simple as that.

FORT Fanatic
    lex

wow. you really reigned it in. when i came on and saw you posted i was like oh uh here we go again (and you know what i mean). but this time you did it in a very nice way i guess.

as for carrie. she has been straining past several weeks. i listened to her song only and it was alright...sounded like she had to scream parts of the songs over the band which was loud (and for other contestants as well). but when i watched it it felt different because of her performance, it made it seem worse.

FORT Fogey
    I'm not a big Carrie fan, but I thought she sang "McArthur Park" well. It was a perfect song for her since the lyrics are meaningless and you don't have to put any emotional nuances into singing them. She probably related to the line: "And I'll never have that recipe again! Oh no!"

I really have problems liking her when it comes to emotional songs though... She doesn't put emphasis in the right places and she never sounds like she's conveying the emotions of the song -- plus she is as wooden as Al Gore on stage.

Carrie sings well--no doubt about it. But she does seem like a stepford wife. She shows no emotion during the song, and has chosen frumpola granny clothes on too many occasions. She seems to have a personality when she is just talking to Ryan, but she never conveys the emotion of the song to me. And MacArthur Park is kind of meaningless, so it was hard to get into. There are so many better songs she could have chosen!

I won't be devastated when she is voted off, but I don't think it will be tonight.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

About the lyrics to Macarthur Park... The song is not meaningless, quite far from it. It is a very emotional song about lost love, possibly about that love of a lifetime, Carrie just needed to read the lyrics to get it, see the forest from the trees, not just memorize words like a machine. The song might be slightly cryptic at first listening, but it is pretty easy to put the puzzle together when one sees the lyrics written down.

Here is part of it:

"Between the parted pages
    we were pressed,
    in love's hot, fevered iron
    like a striped pair of pants.

Mac Arthur's Park is melting in the dark
    all the sweet green icing flowing down
    someone left the cake out in the rain
    I don't think that I can take it
    'cause it took so long to bake it
    and I'll never have that recipe again
    Oh, nooo! "

It basically says that the person had this passionate relationship going (the cake = relationship = Mac Arthur's Park, possibly the place where lots of good times in this relationship happened), and it was not cared for properly (left out in rain), it took forever to build the relationship (took so long to bake it), and now this person realizes that he/she might never be able to put together anything similar to it (recipe is lost).

Yeah, those are silly lyrics to talk about lost love etc, but like I said Carrie should have gotten it (having days to practise it), but somehow I think she just doesn't bother to try to understand a song, she just learns the lyrics by heart and she thinks she is done.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 04-20-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

You're right--it isn't meaningless, just a really strange analogy for an unnurtured relationship. And Carrie really didn't get it.

Thanks for those lyrics, Turlittan--I had never bothered to look them up, and I have always thought that the song was just odd. Now I know for sure that it really is!
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

+ Reply to Thread