+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 425 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

For me, it was the fact that Simon's comment about her winning was downright belittling to every other contestant in the competition (and there were still quite a few competitors at the time he said that).

In addition, he was quoted in a February article as saying the rest were just a bunch of untalented wannabees, and he went on to insult 2 previous AI winners too.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...idol%20winners

So, to me he sounds close-minded (he's not gonna consider anyone else) AND egotistical (he really believes he can actually fully judge a person based on a couple 2-minute samples). What a dope.

As a result, I felt like I needed to consider everyone else besides Carrie, since they were getting shut out so early. Sometimes it makes me want to NEVER vote for Carrie, if a close-minded/egotistical person is going to spend the entire season pumping her. (i.e. She'll get enough votes off Simon followers, she won't need mine...)

It's not really fair to Carrie to have to endure this backlash. But she's had many weeks to win me over since then and she still hasn't. Who knows, perhaps she still could? I don't hate her at all. But if she wants the title, she needs to EARN it through the WHOLE competition, not be given it at the very beginning.

I do feel that if Simon changes his mind and starts backing somebody else, then he ought to apologize to ALL the contestants for his mis-guided and premature comments.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    But if she wants the title, she needs to EARN it through the WHOLE competition, not be given it at the very beginning.
    Earn it? Carrie has been doing well the past few weeks. In fact, while some of her performances may be somewhat uneven, I can safely say she has never given a bad performance or been in the bottom 3.

Carrie has real talent, everyone. You have to admit she looks pretty and her voice is no worse than any of the other "artists" out there (Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, Boy Bands). She should not have to suffer from Simon's comments. It was a little overblown, but I felt Simon was merely expressing his views on Carrie's future.

Carrie haters, give this girl a chance! She is hardly a horrendous singer. In fact, she is emminently marketable and (vocally, at least) talented. Compare her with other talents out there. Can you honestly say she is worse than the Ashley Simpsons of the world?

What I meant by earning it:
    She could earn it through expressiveness. "Love is a Battlefield" was the first time it looked like she put energy into the total performance--although it still seemed she wasn't expressing the emotion to match the song's words.

Singing is more than hitting the melody. Carrie hasn't "earned" my admiration until she can deliver some passion with her words. I feel like the purpose of singing is emoting. I would guess Carrie thinks the purpose is to hit correct notes. No way am I going to vote to give somebody a lottery--a windfall career--if they don't even emote when they sing.

Hitting perfect notes doesn't make a song a hit, but if the listener believes and shares the artist's feelings, then a song can be a hit even without perfect notes.

There are tons of people in the world who have excellently-recordable voices. (Not to belittle Carrie...she has great talent, but it's not rare.) If all the label wants is a perfect voice for recording, they could find that talent in any church choir. We wouldn't need a huge production like AI in order to find them.

Therefore, I expect more (I expect the full package) from the person who wins AI. I thought that was the point of it? I don't idolize someone who doesn't elicit any passion when they sing. I'm not saying Carrie can't get there. She just isn't there YET, while other contestants are... and the AI clock is ticking.

P.S.
    IF this contest was about singing meaningless notes instead of words (if every contestant just sang "La la la -oooh -yeah, la la") and just be melodic, I would pick Carrie or Anwar out of the remaining crew.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 04-17-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    I've noticed an large number of anti-carrie threads on the other boards. More than is the norm. Hmm...do people really dislike Carrie so much?

The thing is a great deal of my friends (in fact a large number of the public) favor Carrie as a winner. She has an attractive image, a good voice and...massive marketing potential.

Still why the hate? Is it the favouritism from Simon? Frontrunner backlash?

While I understand we all have our favourites. This dislike is quite disturbing.

What do you guys think?
    Carrie has become the New York Yankees of AI. If someone isn't a fan they feel it is they duty to do everything possible to bring her down. It's crazy but maybe it is like voting off the strongest in Survivor. You just feel good when the main competition is out of the way. I have lived in California, Arkansas, Florida & Virginia & am still in contact with people from all 4 states. Everyone I talk to has Carrie picked in the top 2, some have Bo & Carrie, & some have Constantine & Carrie, but they all include Carrie. I don't worry for her future at all.

And we continue to hear the "Carrie has no emotion or feeling in her performances". I think we are to the point to where Carrie could walk on stage, douse herself with lighter fluid, set it on fire, & sing I'm On Fire by Bruce Springsteen & there would be those that still say she just doesn't connect with her songs.

Absolute spot-on, fireflyer. Those are like my thoughts, I just can't put them to words as good as you did!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    I have seen many pictures of Carrie on stage & most of them show her with her guitar. So she definitely does play & as I have stated so many times before, & I am sure everyone is tired of reading it, but I say again. " If she is used to the guitar being a prop for her, Maybe just Maybe, without it in this competition is one big reason why she looks stiff & out of place on stage". Give her the guitar & I have no doubt you would see a different type of performance.
    When I read this, I had a dream sequence pop in my mind. Picture it is the TOP THREE and the producers have allowed Carrie, Constantine, and Bo to use their guitars for the final performances!

When I just read that Carrie is sick, I thought about how George's asthma interefered with his last three performances on AI. Hopefully, Carrie will receive the medical care needed to perform well!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly
    For me, it was the fact that Simon's comment about her winning was downright belittling to every other contestant in the competition (and there were still quite a few competitors at the time he said that).

In addition, he was quoted in a February article as saying the rest were just a bunch of untalented wannabees, and he went on to insult 2 previous AI winners too.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xml...0idol%20winners
    This is how I felt too! Why have the AI competition if Simon has already declared the winner even before the doggone thing started! It was an insult to all remaining contestants and previous AI winners!
    Last edited by Kariann1; 04-17-2005 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    When I read this, I had a dream sequence pop in my mind. Picture it is the TOP THREE and the producers have allowed Carrie, Constantine, and Bo to use their guitars for the final performances!

When I just read that Carrie is sick, I thought about how George's asthma interefered with his last three performances on AI. Hopefully, Carrie will receive the medical care needed to perform well!

This is how I felt too! Why have the AI competition if Simon has already declared the winner even before the doggone thing started! It was an insult to all remaining contestants and previous AI winners!
    While I don't expect to see them use their instruments during the show I can see it happening during the tour. I think it would be really nice to see some guitar duets & such. I think the audience would eat it up.

As to your Simon comments I guess what I don't get is this. People are all the time stating on this board how much they don't like Randy & Paula & how Simon is the only one that has any sense about singing & performing abilities, yet when he picks a favorite they take it out on his choice & get really personal toward her. I don't think it is fair to the contestant he has chosen because it isn't their fault he likes them. Remember he also said Nadia was a steak in a competition of hamburgers. He said early on it was Bo's to lose. He has continually complemented Vonzell on her improving performances while at the same time telling Carrie she was taking steps backwards. He has called Connie astonishing, & even backhandedly told both Anthony & Anwar last week that they were very good. Just from my point of view if I were Carrie or anyone else in this competition I would much rather have Simon on my side than worry about a bunch of posters on a bulletin board dissing me for being the teachers pet.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    While I don't expect to see them use their instruments during the show I can see it happening during the tour. I think it would be really nice to see some guitar duets & such. I think the audience would eat it up.
    Yes, that would be great! Wonder if TPTB are reading this?

Actually, I haven't dissed Carrie but was just understanding what Fireflyer was saying and realizing it is true. Some people were angry that Simon had made such a public declaration so early, thus not allowing for the fact that people do improve. Some follow Simon like sheep, while others will rebel against whatever he says.

I believe there was an issue with fairness to others. Simon is often crude, rude, and unlovable. :nono I hope he continues to compliment and criticize as needed.
    Last edited by Kariann1; 04-17-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Lex
    Quote Originally Posted by felix
    Carrie haters, give this girl a chance! She is hardly a horrendous singer.
    Personally, I thought she sang horribly last week. Just awful! I was seriously shocked that she wasn't in the Bottom 3.

+ Reply to Thread