+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 429 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

I am not going to bash Carrie for being a robot. I don't see the same kind of emotion from her that I do from the other contestants, but what I do hear is a beautiful voice and she is trying to do what the judges and others have asked of her. Where some of the other contestants need help with their voices, she just needs a little help with her performance. With some coaching on how bring it out, I can definitely see her "connecting" much better.
    I was not totally loving last night's performance, but was rather impressed with it after hearing she was sick and hearing her talk all stuffed up. I kind of digged the vibratto. How many people could sound even that good when they are sick? Her dance was total Pat Benatar!

FORT Fan
    Carrie's greatest strength is her established fanbase and media appeal. She got a lot of good publicity during the audition periods of AI. Further more, (despite some critics) her performances have remained consistantly strong.

This week, Carrie was a little uneven. I personally thought she looked Avil Lavinge-beautiful. But her her stage movements were somewhat off. Then again...she sounded sick yesterday so I am willing to cut her some slack.

Carrie critics out there. My girl will look better in a music video. They have professional stylists and sound artists to make her more glamorous. Carrie is doing fine so far. I admit she may not prance around the stage a lot, but MANY artists don't do that.

Each good artists knows his or her limits. What they are good at. Why is everyone asking her to step out of the box and slam her when she does so.

George Micheal. Would you ask him to do hip-hop?

I see Carrie as a Martina Mcbride. adult contemporary. love song singer. She fits that image well, I myself will support her ALL THE WAY if she remains true to herself.

But that's my opinion.

It's all about taste, people.
    Last edited by felix; 04-14-2005 at 09:48 PM.

FORT Regular
    I saw Kelly Clarkson in concert and she doesn't prance around a lot either. But she did play the guitar, and I thought that was very cool.
    Just imagine Carrie with a guitar (with her beautiful looks and beautiful voice), she will GO FAR!!!!

I agree with felix about seeing Carrie as a Martina McBride kind of singer. Also, I agree that once she gets her hands on a guitar, she'll do even better. I was impressed that she took on such a daring song for her voice this week, even though it was one of her weaker performances. I also thought it was funny-cute that when they were announcing if Scott was in the bottom three or not she coughed and then looked all embarassed.
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

Lex
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerMom
    Just imagine Carrie with a guitar (with her beautiful looks and beautiful voice), she will GO FAR!!!!
    Hmmm... I might actually like that. I love performances that are just a singer and an acoustic guitar. I think could enjoy Carrie like that.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Ah the Carrie haters are out in force today I see. I just have to say that this whole " She doesn't feel the song issue" is most confusing to me. Since you have never sat in her place you really can't tell what she feels or doesn't feel. Maybe the correct way to state it would be "She just doesn't feel the song the way I want her to feel the song". Now maybe that I would buy into. We seem to be getting into the territory where everone elses favorites are dropping so since there is no way to praise them anymore lets just go dump on Carrie. Sad, sadder, saddest.

You took the words right out of my mouth. A perfect example of this would be Fantasia's "Summertime." I hated the performance, although I thought technically she sang the song well. In my opinion, Summertime is a lullaby. My mom sang it to me as a child, and I am now singing it to my child. It has never been for me a love song, but that is the way Fantasia sang it. But, everyone else loved it.

Carrie is the best singer in this competition. Maybe she is what I heard someone else call her, "White Bread and Apple Pie." But, for me, that's a good thing. I would much rather hear her sing a song and not do a dramatic performance than hear someone like Brittny Spears who puts on a dramatic show. It's all about taste.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerMom
    I saw Kelly Clarkson in concert and she doesn't prance around a lot either. But she did play the guitar, and I thought that was very cool.
    I have seen many pictures of Carrie on stage & most of them show her with her guitar. So she definitely does play & as I have stated so many times before, & I am sure everyone is tired of reading it, but I say again. " If she is used to the guitar being a prop for her, Maybe just Maybe, without it in this competition is one big reason why she looks stiff & out of place on stage". Give her the guitar & I have no doubt you would see a different type of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    But her her stage movements were somewhat off.
    It was actually funny to watch that 'cause she looked like a robot programmed to dance. It looked very funny especially when she was on "catwalk".

Ah the Carrie haters are out in force today I see. I just have to say that this whole " She doesn't feel the song issue" is most confusing to me. Since you have never sat in her place you really can't tell what she feels or doesn't feel. Maybe the correct way to state it would be "She just doesn't feel the song the way I want her to feel the song".
    I think her problem is more like that she cannot adapt those feelings to her performances. I'm not saying that she doesn't feel the song but she definitely cannot "get those feelings out", that's why she seems to be so "robotic". But that's just my opinion, no offence.

If she is used to the guitar being a prop for her, Maybe just Maybe, without it in this competition is one big reason why she looks stiff & out of place on stage". Give her the guitar & I have no doubt you would see a different type of performance.
    I think you could be right. I've thought same thing about Bo, carrying the mic stand around the stage. I know it 'cause when I'm on stage without my guitar, I feel almost naked and I just don't know what to do with my hands. It's strange and uncomfortable feeling.
    Last edited by nemo78; 04-15-2005 at 01:31 PM.

I have seen many pictures of Carrie on stage & most of them show her with her guitar. So she definitely does play & as I have stated so many times before, & I am sure everyone is tired of reading it, but I say again. " If she is used to the guitar being a prop for her, Maybe just Maybe, without it in this competition is one big reason why she looks stiff & out of place on stage". Give her the guitar & I have no doubt you would see a different type of performance.
    Carrie will go far and most likely will win this competition too. The same people who bash her for her stage presense probably also wouldn't like Kelly, Jewel, Alanis or any other performer who's voice/music is the key to their success, not the stage show/music a la Madonna, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, etc.... Going into this competition, I was more of a Nadia (still am), Lindsey, Jessica fan, but Carrie grows on me more and more each week. She must be doing something right because almost anyone I ask at work says she's their favorite even before she caught on with me. Front runners get bashed and Carrie and Constantine will take the brunt of the beatings on message boards and public forums because just like in politics they are fair game with many runner-up's chomping on their heels.

+ Reply to Thread