+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Carrie Underwood

Jennifer Lopez - Gilgi
    Mariah Carey - Glitter
    Beyonce Knowles - (pick one)

Carrie is hardly the first superstar female vocalist to find herself in over her head. I hope she fires the person(s) who convinced her she had the acting chops to pull this off.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Jennifer Lopez - Gilgi
    Mariah Carey - Glitter
    Beyonce Knowles - (pick one)

Carrie is hardly the first superstar female vocalist to find herself in over her head. I hope she fires the person(s) who convinced her she had the acting chops to pull this off.
    I'm not here to change opinions & as I stated a few pages back, Carrie will not be mistaken for Meryle Streep, but all of the examples you have listed were movies.....multiple take, multiple attempts, multiple version scenes, MOVIES!, and those "actresses" still couldn't pull it off. Carrie had one attempt to do this thing, one attempt to get it right. There were no retakes, there were no Pre airing for the press, no pre airing for the producers to get everything just right. It was one & done & move on to the next scene. I think, regardless of what anyone thinks of her acting abilities, she has to be given credit for even attempting this role in this type of setting. There certainly aren't too many others that would have done so.

Here is an interesting comment I found on yahoo & it speaks volumes:

"If her acting skills were immature, that's a valid criticism. But I'm sure she's aware of that, and yet she still surrounded herself with greatly talented stage people. Certainly not the act of a "diva", who would not want to be upstaged, but of someone who truly wanted to learn and grow from the experience, as well as put on the best show possible."

And I mentioned it in a earlier post that was excised from this tread, but I'll try again.

All of the sites that are dedicated to Broadway & the goings on on the Great White Way were in agreement that there were certainly many excellent choices amongst the Broadway set that could have handled the acting in this role better. But, they were also in agreement, that without the name of Carrie Underwood being attached to this role, the production would have never happened. They needed the star power to bring the eyeballs to the TV set & with Carrie they got exactly that. There is no one on Broadway that would have gotten 18.5 million households to tune in. Nothing on TV other than LIVE football gets that type of rating anymore. This opened up the world of musical theater to a whole generation of kids that had never & may have never been exposed to it otherwise. And one of the critics on one of those Broadway sites ended with this: Thank you to Carrie Underwood for bringing your fanbase & your following to play in our venue.

FORT Fogey

True, the movies listed above were different from a live performance. But they rehearsed and prepped for The Sound of Music for a LONG time. Wouldn't all that extensive rehearsal be counted like multiple takes to get it right? Yes, a bad one can't be left on the cutting room floor. But it did leave a lot of time to suggest and make adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    True, the movies listed above were different from a live performance. But they rehearsed and prepped for The Sound of Music for a LONG time. Wouldn't all that extensive rehearsal be counted like multiple takes to get it right? Yes, a bad one can't be left on the cutting room floor. But it did leave a lot of time to suggest and make adjustments.
    The rehearsed as a group for about 6 weeks & had just 2 compete, start to finish run throughs most of which was used for camera blocking & sound checks.

See I disagree what also bought rating is for those of us who love broadway plays and musicals wanted to see how this was going to go down. I personally am not a Carrie underwood fan so that is not why I watched. I was expecting to see a broadway like production and what I got with Carrie was underwhelming. I mean her acting was grade school at best.

There are many of come from American idol who manage to do well in the live stage play arena. Fantasia is getting rave reviews in After Midnight and did before that in the Color Purple.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

I grew up learning and loving the music and Broadway plays of Rogers and Hammerstein. While Carrie is surely no Julie Andrews, the show itself was not a failure. Even though it wasn't the Julie Andrews version, I liked the show. I absolutely adored the Abbey scenes and thought the Mother Superior was fantastic. I also thought the wedding scene in the Abbey - including Carrie as the bride Maria - was beautiful.

Carrie did well conveying the naivete and innocence of the novice Maria. She was excellent with the children, and I thought she sounded very good on the lower-ranged songs. While I don't think anybody could have done the yodeling song any better ( in fact I think she slayed that one!), I think the higher range songs didn't make her shine like we are used to with Carrie. She didn't sound bad at all on the higher range; however, she didn't stand out like a higher ranged soprano would have which is what is usually cast in that role.

The difficulty at times, I think, was that some of her spoken lines were wooden or stilted, and that comes from a lack of acting experience. However, it was not all of her lines, it was not all of the time, and it was NOT her facial expressions. I actually felt like she did well with those, especially with Captain Von Trapp and with the Mother Superior. I felt she was very convincing when she was interacting with them.

Carrie has done so well in her career that I can see why she felt confident enough to try this, but I feel that the magnitude of the project coupled with her lack of acting experience made it just too ambitious and too big of an endeavor for her.

I also think that the casting directors were looking for name recognition as well as someone who "looked" the part, and without taking into consideration that Carrie doesn't really have the right voice ( should be a little more of a soprano) or the acting experience, they latched on to Carrie because she is such a hot item right now.

If I were Carrie and if I were at all interested in doing any more of this kind of thing, I would immediately get an acting coach....and....a dance instructor. In Musical Theatre the lead is very often required to dance a bit - more than she obviously had to in this particular production.

This show is not the flop that many are making it sound to be. I expected it to be bad after I had read so many bad comments, but I did not find it so. Carrie is not Julie Andrews who was immensely talented and was perfect for that role - in fact governess type roles where she sings with a spectatular soprano voice.
    That said, it would have helped even if this had not been done live as far as Carrie is concerned because they could have done more than one take like we all know happens all the time until they get it perfect. Someone would have worked with her until the lines were delivered less woodenly and whatever else is being criticised was corrected.
    It wasn't fabulous, but it wasn't terrible either.
    I think it turned out all right.
    razorbacker likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

The Sound of Misplaced Ire: Carrie Underwood as Maria | criticalrant.com Alexandra Bonifield

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, I suppose, so, here’s mine. Carrie Underwood is a strikingly beautiful young lady with an AMAZING, clarion voice, far more impressive exhibited through the words and music of Rogers and Hammerstein, in Thursday evenings live broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, than in all of her previous Country/Pop recordings. And, THEY were impressive!!! She was an ideal cast in the Role of Maria…wholesome, endearing, sensitive, and, in her Scene confronting Von Trapp before being fired, quite moving and impressive!!! She showed the seeds of a young Actress with the potential and passion to grow, and, this from a young lady with almost NO PREVIOUS ACTING EXPERIENCE. She was also generous to her other Actors. Never seeming to play the “Star” on whom this Special was built, but, instead, she seemed a Member of the “Team”. An equal!!! She looked into the eyes of those with whom she shared this unique experience and she LISTENED!!! Intently!!! Sincerely!!! She was ALWAYS earnest and committed, and acquitted herself quite well. She leant her enormous popularity and reputation to this endeavor, and, I greatly respect and admire her for that. Without Miss Underwood, or, a Star of her stature and universal appeal, a project like THE SOUND OF MUSIC could/would never get produced in the first place. Exponentially, MANY actors, artists, technicians, musicians, etc. earned gainful employment through Miss Underwoods agreeing to take on the project. If you love Musical Theater, and, would like to see more of the same in years to come, then, understand that THIS is how it will happen. America will not tune in to see an Actor they’ve never heard of, no matter how BRILLIANT that actor may be, or how much that actor deserves to be seen. But, they WILL tune in to see a “Star” like Miss Underwood, surrounded by a Cast of relative unknowns, who, by association, may become as famous as the Celebrity whom they support. We live in….and have for years…a Celebrity Society. We NEED a “name”!!!! It validates our choice. It offers the “appearance” of being something important if a “Star” is playing the Lead. THE SOUND OF MUSIC captivated millions of Americans this past Thursday, who would never have tuned in if the Maria had been an unknown…no matter how talented that unknown might have been. And, not ONLY was Miss Underwood tasked with playing this very complex Role, with almost no acting experience, in a Musical Theater Classic beloved by generations who grew up with Julie Andrews…it is a very DIFFICULT story to tell. Not the sort of a Musical that you “cut your teeth” on. The emotional complexity of the Characters require strong direction and guidance, which, if criticism were my intention here, THAT would be my focus. I felt Miss Underwood deserved to be better served by the direction. The Story is archaic!!! Few, under forty who viewed, have any concept of the Second World War, or the atrocities of the Third Reich or Hitler Youth, or, the history of how a great Nation was overtaken by a mad man, and, what that rise did to other bordering, neutral Nations. Just as CABARET really has very little to do with relationship between Cliff and Sally, THE SOUND OF MUSIC is less about Von Trapp, Maria and the cute kids, and MORE about the circumstances of the “World” which they inhabited. It’s heady stuff, and, to fully appreciate, and PERFORM, requires on the part of the AUDIENCE and actors alike, an in depth understanding of the history it depicts. I felt that “sense” of something ugly looming large was absent in this production. But, that was not the fault of Miss Underwood. I bring all this up because, I have seen numerous unkind, catty, *****y, superior posts criticizing….no….verbally evescerating Miss Underwood, as if it were some sort of a “one upmanship” sport. As if she is somehow worthy of a kind of cyber bullying because she didn’t live up to the “bully’s” expectation. Miss Underwood has been attacked with impunity, and, in some cases, clear PRIDE by those having been so purposefully unkind and mean spirited. The list of weak attempts to be oh-so-preciously “witty” at Miss Underwood’s expense, have been long, and, undeserved…no matter what your opinion of her performance might be. That sort of pettiness has always been something of a mystery to me. The GLEE with which some celebrate others perceived shortcomings is revelatory and sad. It most often tends to say more about the one who’s attacking than the one they’ve attacked. As if all those tossing insults could have done a better job. I applaud Carrie Underwood. She’s a beautiful, gifted girl who did her best. That’s all I really meant to say.

The Sound of Misplaced Ire: Carrie Underwood as Maria | criticalrant.com Alexandra Bonifield

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Two reviews! Not from some online blogger. Not from someone who hates Carrie. Not from someone who is being unkind or mean spirited. The reviews come from the television critics for The New York Times and her sister paper on the West Coast, The Los Angeles Times.

Not everyone is out to get Carrie! They just want an opportunity to express their opinions. (That is, after all, why we come to this Board) And, just because their opinions of Carrie's performance may have been negative, it doesn't mean they are negative towards Carrie herself. The Los Angeles Times said it well...

"...as a critic I am bound to be critical, as an ordinary citizen I salute the effort."
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

can't believe she told people to find Jesus because they did not like her acting. way to stay Klassy!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    can't believe she told people to find Jesus because they did not like her acting. way to stay Klassy!
    I honestly don't think it was so much that they didn't like her acting as the fact that they were being way less than classy themselves. Folks can dislike a performance without being mean and hateful and there were plenty who hadn't discovered that. So, I do not think it was about them not liking the performance as much as it was the way they chose to express themselves.

+ Reply to Thread