+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

Country Universe hasn’t always been to kind to Carrie, but I have been telling you guys how great the reviews for this tour have been & here is an example of what we have been seeing all across the board.

Country Universe – A Country Music Blog Concert Review: Carrie Underwood with Hunter Hayes

December 3, 2012
    Carrie Underwood with Hunter Hayes
    The Blown Away Tour
    Prudential Center
    Newark, NJ
    December 1, 2012

There’s a desirable sweet spot in every big performer’s career where they finally have a large number of hits to fill out a two-hour show, a compelling enough current album to sustain audience interest between the hits, and the appropriate level of earned confidence to take some bold risks in staging and presentation.

Carrie Underwood just hit that sweet spot. Her Blown Away Tour hit Newark on Saturday, playing to an arena packed with fans of all ages. It’s an arena show, too, filled with pyrotechnics and special effects and a backing band that shook the cheap seats on the more rocking numbers. Opening with “Good Girl”, Underwood tore through an opening section which included a healthy mix of hits from all four of her studio albums.

But the show didn’t hit its stride until the second section, when she surprised the audience with the appearance of a choir from local elementary school P.S. 22. They supported her in a touching rendition of “So Small” that lived up to its name, stripping the bombast from the studio recording and letting the lyric shine over the sweet harmonies that only bewilderingly talented tots can produce in unison. The arena felt as intimate as a sitting room as she sang “Temporary Home”, which seemed to have her on the verge of tears by the third verse.

After a few more hits, the show peaked with an ingenious third act that had Underwood floating above the audience on a moving platform. Why was it ingenious? It solved a few arena show dilemmas at once, keeping the entire audience riveted while the artist sang unfamiliar album cuts. At the point of the set list usually designed for bathroom breaks, Underwood had the entire arena on their feet, cheekily waving to and interacting with the audience members all around her, and even those directly under her. These are the benefits of a clear plexiglass floor, you see.

At times, the staging was a bit too ambitious. The video screens that were used so effectively for visual songs like “Two Black Cadillacs” were a glaring distraction for much of the show, with random patterns that looked more like late nineties Windows screen savers than anything else. Transitional interludes featured some interesting animation, but it was interrupted by glamour shots of Underwood, as if they were afraid we’d forget about her while she was changing costumes backstage. But the opening and closing projections centered around “Blown Away” were executed brilliantly, among the best I’ve seen in an arena show.

Vocally, Underwood was nearly flawless, never missing a note but occasionally losing her breath while she enthusiastically engaged the audience. At times, she seemed a little overwhelmed by her band, most notably during a painfully loud cover of Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion.” When the arrangements were slower or simpler, with her voice accompanied by only a handful of instruments, she sounded better than I’ve ever heard a powerhouse vocalist sound in concert.

When you combine her precision with the very few liberties the band took with the studio arrangements, and you could be forgiven for thinking you were listening to an actual studio recording. She really is that good. She somehow elevated the fan favorite “I Know You Won’t” to staggering new heights, and that’s a song that seemed superhuman even as a studio recording. I repeat, she really is that good. But most impressive was when she revisited older tracks like “Jesus, Take the Wheel” and “Wasted”, and actually improved on them, showing how much she has grown in interpretive skill and vocal nuance since the beginning of her career.

Those hits from the first album, along with the pre-encore closer “Before He Cheats”, where absolutely the biggest crowd-pleasers, giving anecdotal evidence to the theory that Underwood’s greatest competition has been herself. Those early hits have overshadowed everything she’s done since, successful as she’s been. But I discovered something when she closed the show with “Blown Away.” The audience roared at the opening notes, after having been teased mercilessly with clips from the video all night. There was more energy and excitement during that performance than at any other moment. It’s her first career record in years.

Underwood was classy and thoroughly charming throughout. That light shines through even when her material’s at its darkest. It was a minor annoyance for me that I was surrounded by tweens, teens, and twenty-somethings that stood for the whole show and sang along with far too many songs. But seeing a whole row of those tweens in Carrie Underwood t-shirts, clearly at their first big concert and hanging on every word that their idol sang, I was struck with a deep appreciation for this artist. I’ve always been grateful that she respected the genre’s traditions and institutions, but I’m always worried about preserving the genre’s past. She’s also securing its future, as perhaps the only artist in country music history who can pack an arena that is equal parts tween, young adult, and the rest of us. In that sense, she just might be the most significant country artist of her time, in addition to being the flat-out best singer.

I missed the first couple of songs by opening act Hunter Hayes, but judging by the piercing adolescent screams that permeated the arena, he won’t be an opening act for much longer. I must say that he’s remarkably talented. I expected the country arrangements and the solid vocals, but his prowess with both the guitar and the piano took me by surprise. He’s somewhere between Keith Urban without the gravitas and Gary LeVox without the nasal drip. Hopefully, he’ll keep honing his songwriting skills and his audience will stick around as he develops. He’s got more promise than most of his contemporaries.

I have a few things to say..from the bad,

Carrie has been sick for the past week & for the first time ever had to postpone a concert. Last night's show in Kansas City was moved to May. I'm supposed to see her Tuesday night in Memphis. Get well Carrie!!!

To the wonderful,

2 nights ago she was sick but she still performed in Des Moines Iowa. In the middle of the show she announced to the crowd that she was sorry she wasn't feeling well & was not able to give 100% so she felt like she should not get paid for the show & she donated all her pay back to the community of Des Moines. There just aren't many people that would do that. Gotta love this girl & her kind heart.

To the truly disturbing,

Some of you may not know, but a few months back Carrie came out in favor of a gay marriage amendment. Well yesterday that came back to bite her in the ass. Those despicable people from the Westboro Baptist Church (the ones that show up across the country to protest at military funerals) announced that due to Carries stance on gay marriage, that SHE was responsible for that school shooting in Connecticut, & the blood of all those kids is on her hands. Lord help us all....by the way, this church has also decided to show up in Ct. to protest at these funerals, I hope it doesn't go well for them.

The disturbing....OMG. Hasn't the Baptist Congregation excommunicated them yet?

The wonderful...KUDOS, Carrie. That was a wonderful gesture to your fans in Des Moines.

The bad...Get well, Carrie; wouldn't want razorbacker to miss your show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Here is a video of Carrie announcing to the crowd in Des Moine that she would be giving her check back to the community. The girl can barely speak, but according to those that were there she still sang beautifully. This video was captured by a friend of mine & has been picked up by newswires around the world.

Carrie Underwood Des Moines-giving money back to community - YouTube

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The disturbing....OMG. Hasn't the Baptist Congregation excommunicated them yet?

The wonderful...KUDOS, Carrie. That was a wonderful gesture to your fans in Des Moines.

The bad...Get well, Carrie; wouldn't want razorbacker to miss your show.
    I'm not sure that they can excommunicate them......not sure how that works since I have no idea with which Baptist that are suppose to be associated, if any. It may be that they just consider and label themselves that way. I KNOW they aren't part of the association with which my church is affiliated. They shouldn't be associated with ANY true Christian denomination, period. For that matter, I don't think they should exist.

You could tell that Carrie was still a bit under the weather last night when she spoke to the audience & she turned her head to cough a bunch of times, but man the singing voice was there loud & proud. She had the audience in the palm of her hand. This is certainly the best presentation she has had for a tour yet.

Carrie continues to score big at the box office for the Blown Away Tour.

Air Canada Centre
    Toronto, Ontario
    Dec. 9, 2012
    $748,206
    12,212 /12,212 (100%)

United Center
    Chicago, Ill.
    Dec. 12, 2012
    $696,120
    11,930 /11,930 (100%)

Scotiabank Place
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Dec. 8, 2012
    $593,561
    9,622 / 10,255 (94%)

Schottenstein Center
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dec. 11, 2012
    $515,172
    9,022 / 9,022 (100%)

Budweiser Gardens
    London, Ontario
    Dec. 6, 2012
    $500,955
    7,995 / 7,995 (100%)

Times Union Center
    Albany, N.Y.
    Dec. 4, 2012
    $438,454
    7,601 / 8,018 (95%)

The duet from Carrie & Aerosmith has, in the last couple of days been given an adds date for AC radio. I have a feeling this one could chart across multiple genres.

CArrie was the top Female Country touring artist last year with the first half of the Blown Away Tour she had $29.2 million in ticket grosses and nearly 487,000 tickets sold over 60 shows in North America, the UK, and Australia. The next half begins next month & includes another 50+ shows including Ireland & England.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Personally, I think information about celebrities in past reality shows should be posted in the Celebrity Gossip section instead of the old show forums, unless the new information is about that season, like when Hope Solo wrote about being abused by her partner on Dancing With the Stars. That's just my opinion, though. I don't see the point in bumping an old show forum with news about a contestant who was on it years ago. It's not really relevant to the show anymore.

+ Reply to Thread