+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 425 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

FORT Fogey
    I think Carrie has excellent song-interpretation skills!! To me, instinctually, she is just always 100% on, and that is a gift. Some performers try too hard and are way over the top, whereas Carrie has found the balance.

Never would I have thought that I would like "Hello young lovers", but after Carrie's rendition I have watched it several times and her voice stays in my mind.

She's unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah
    I think Carrie has excellent song-interpretation skills!! To me, instinctually, she is just always 100% on, and that is a gift. Some performers try too hard and are way over the top, whereas Carrie has found the balance.
    I'll clarify what I meant. Song interpretation does not necessarily mean singing loudly or with emotional hysterics. It often has to do with subtle voice modulation to inject emotion into a song. Some singers can almost whisper at points and break your heart.

Carrie has a beautiful, pure voice and seems intent on making everything sound pretty and happy. But song interpretation can encompass a lot of stuff--sadness, sexiness, humor, wistfullness, anger--depending on the song. I can't recall Carrie evoking any of those emotions--even tho her songs have called for them on different levels.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-11-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Carrie has a beautiful, pure voice and seems intent on making everything sound pretty and happy. But song interpretation can encompass a lot of stuff--sadness, sexiness, humor, anger--depending on the song. I can't recall Carrie evoking any of those emotions--even tho her songs have called for them on different levels.
    Well said.

FORT Fogey
    I agree with you completely about the definition of "song-interpretation", but IMHO Carrie has all of those qualities.

FORT Fanatic

Carrie is a winner

Whether Carrie wins this or not, which I think she will, she will for sure be a star. I'm sure they are lining up at the door already.

FORT Fanatic
    I have always liked Carrie's voice from the beginning - even before I heard Simons prediction. That said, I do however, have some of the same feelings as others, that she lacks emotion when singing up on stage. I told my husband that I feel like she's going thru "a list" in her head of where she should look, where she should walk to, what are the words, etc, rather then just concentrating on having fun and just "singing" to the audience. But I'm still a fan because I think these are things she could possibly fix. Will she for sure? I don't know, but I'm still willing to give her the benefit of a doubt.

I do wish people would quit hating her simply because of Simon comments.

Randy was on Ryan's show today, his pick for the Final Two are Carrie and Bo.

It seems to me like she is just intraverted which is not surprising given her rural background. I think many people are mistaking this for having no personality. I know I would be very uncomfortable knowing that millions of people are watching me. I think it is fair to say that she has not evolved to be a good performer due to nerves but there really is no basis for saying she has no personality.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    It seems to me like she is just intraverted which is not surprising given her rural background. I think many people are mistaking this for having no personality. I know I would be very uncomfortable knowing that millions of people are watching me. I think it is fair to say that she has not evolved to be a good performer due to nerves but there really is no basis for saying she has no personality.
    Nobody is saying she has no personality offstage. I guess nerves could account for some of her robotic qualities onstage, but the other contestants also must deal with nerves. I suspect Carrie has been coasting on the tone of her beautiful voice for years. Just sounding pretty has probably gotten her lots of applause back in Oklahoma. Now, in the big leagues, she needs to develop more nuance, emotional shading.

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl
    I have always liked Carrie's voice from the beginning - even before I heard Simons prediction. That said, I do however, have some of the same feelings as others, that she lacks emotion when singing up on stage. I told my husband that I feel like she's going thru "a list" in her head of where she should look, where she should walk to, what are the words, etc, rather then just concentrating on having fun and just "singing" to the audience. But I'm still a fan because I think these are things she could possibly fix. Will she for sure? I don't know, but I'm still willing to give her the benefit of a doubt.

I do wish people would quit hating her simply because of Simon comments.
    I don't hate her because of Simon's comments. I hated her from the beginning -- plain and simple! I am not a country fan and she reminds me too much of Diana DeGarmo. Anyways, she is my biggest competitior at this point. I don't want to see her win, but I think she will. That is too bad, because there are a lot of other performers that are 100x better than Carrie!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

+ Reply to Thread