+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

Carrie has been confirmed for the Grand Ol Opry on June 8th. That is the week of the CMA Music Fest. She has performed at the Opry every year during that week since she won Idol. I bought my ticket 4 months ago in hopes she would be returning. That morning is also her Fann Club Party & it is also held at the Opry. To the best of my knowledge she is the only artist that gets the opportunity to use the Opry for a party such as that.

By the way, since no one else seems to mention it, I will. Her donation of 36cents per ticket to Save the Kids, even though it doesn't seem like it will run into a bunch of money. 46 dates (announced so far) times an average of 8,000 fans per date times 36 cents = $132,400....I wonder if anyoe else will be giving this much?

Carrie continues to get great reviews for her tour. This is pretty typical.

CMT : News : Carrie Underwood's Play On Tour Satisfies Fans in Fayetteville, N.C.

Carrie Underwood's Play On Tour Satisfies Fans in Fayetteville, N.C.
    Craig Morgan, Sons of Sylvia Also Perform for Eager Crowd

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Carrie Underwood may be a household name, but she told the eager crowd at the Crown Coliseum on Friday night (April 30) that they could just call her Miss Fumble Fingers.

Right after her opening number, "Cowboy Casanova," the singer's mic slipped through her fingers on her way to greet the audience at stage left, dropping to the floor with a loud thud. But rather than lose her composure or pretend like nothing happened, she just picked it up, giggled with a cute "oops!" and went on with the song. Afterwards, she told the amused audience that she had already dropped (and broken) a cup of coffee before the show -- good thing she was wearing a black tuxedo -- and that if she fell off the stage during this Play On tour stop, they'd just have to catch her.

Nobody would have minded. After all, Underwood is the reigning entertainer of the year from the Academy of Country Music (ACM) -- a fan-voted distinction -- and she's the only woman in history to win it twice. Looking around the crowd, she's also a role model for lots of young women singing along to "Before He Cheats" and "Temporary Home."

Taking a cue from one of her heroes, fellow Oklahoman Reba McEntire, Underwood must have changed costumes about a dozen times throughout her long set, at one point in denim-and-leather casual wear, another in a digital evening gown. All of this -- and much more -- would be way too much spectacle if Underwood couldn't actually sing so well. Fortunately, she really can. On songs like "Just a Dream" and "So Small," she doesn't even flinch or make crazy faces when the big notes arrive. She's blessed with a strong soprano that makes even the hardest songs to sing live appear like it's no big deal.

Despite all her success in music and fashion, Underwood still comes across as an easygoing girl next door. In other words, she truly seems to be the "All-American Girl" from her hit song. The young girls in my corner of the arena waved frantically any time she'd look our way. Nearly every time, she'd smile and wave back -- never missing a note. When she finally trucked over to our section, nearly everyone stood and waved up at her like she was Glinda the Good Witch and we were all Munchkins.

Underwood also implored the crowd to "open your minds and open your hearts" to all the kinds of music that she was about to play, which translates to, "I'm going to rock your face off later." (She did, on "Undo It.") Before she sang "Jesus, Take the Wheel," she admitted that even if she'd never made it to the American Idol stage, she'd be happy working as a journalist. "It's funny, because I run from those people now," she wryly noted. After the last verse of that first hit, which she said set the course of her whole career, she belted out a sterling rendition of "How Great Thou Art."

There were many more theatrics and costume changes, plus digital guest star Randy Travis. (The real-life version was born about a hundred miles west, in Marshville, N.C.) She also took the time to praise her sizable band and crew for their efforts on the high-tech tour, calling them "a giant family that travels around in rolling apartments together."

For this Play On tour package, the entourage also includes Craig Morgan, who offered several crowd-pleasing songs along with ongoing shout-outs to the nearby Fort Bragg Army post. Sons of Sylvia (from Next Great American Band) opened the show with a brief pop set and later joined Underwood during her set on "What Can I Say."

And what can I say? The primary reason to catch this tour is because Underwood is one of the most potent vocalists in country music. Popular songs like "Wasted" and "Some Hearts" are easy to like -- and so is she. Even though Underwood came into country music through American Idol nearly five years ago, it's easy to understand why the fans are still voting for her.

The news from Nashville is turning out to be pretty devastating. The Opry has been flooded resulting in the loss of lot's & lot's of priceless memorabilia & all shows for the future will be moved to the Ryman. The Country Music Hall of Fame is about 5 blocks from the RColumbia River & up a hill & iot is flooded. The Gaylord Opryland Hotel has up to 10 ft. of water in it. All the areas where the CMA NMusic Fest is held are underwater including the Football Stadium. I've not heard any word from Carrie, but Bo Bice's house suffered some foundation damage & Lindsay Cardinale has apparantely been left homeless.

Here is a panarama shot of downtown NAshville. Pretty incredible.

Flickr Photo Download: Nashville downtown flood panorama

WOW!..we were at the Opry last fall as well as the Gaylord Hotel, what a beautiful place can't image the devastation! We were actually planning on going back again this year...Where the football stadium is (downtown) there is a great little eatery on the corner..we bought boots from Betty Boots right down the block...had a ton of fun at Tootsies..so horrific to see all this devastation! My prayers are with all in Nashville!

FORT Fogey

The city has received surprisingly little national media coverage. The result of Sunday's flooding is unreal. One of the two water treatment facilities is not operating, schools are closed indefinitely, much of downtown shut down and without power until Friday. Nashville's going to take a huge economic hit from this disaster, not to mention the personal losses.

We have been discussing this in the Talk About Your Troubles thread in General Discussion forum. My brother lost everything also.

Talk about your troubles

Sorry to hear about your Brother, Unk. It's going to take a long time for all this to get straight.

Apparantely, Keith Urban has tweeted about a place there in Nashville that flooded out & this is where a bunch of the artists store all their equipment. Keith & Brad Paisley & Vince Gill among others have evidently lost all their guitars, amps, & other equipment.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3893733;
    We have been discussing this in the Talk About Your Troubles thread in General Discussion forum. My brother lost everything also.

Talk about your troubles
    Wow, so sorry to hear about your brother, Unklescott. I'll check out the other thread

FORT Fanatic

uncklescott. sorry to hear about your brother.

unfortunately, the flooding have been overshadowed by other events like the oil rig explosion/spill by louisiana/gulf of mexico and the would be pakistani terrorist who tried. there are only few tidbits on our local news (HI) and have to search it on other sites.

i have friends out in clarksville, tn (they're okay) and a cousin in nashville (no word) and they said its bad.

im sure carrie and her fellow country musicians will hold some sort of event to help those who was affected.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

The video for Undo It has been released. She really has the crowd rocking.

CMT : Videos : Carrie Underwood : Undo It

+ Reply to Thread