+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

Grammy Awards just around the corner. Here is an interview with Carries stylist about how they decide on her look. Lot’s of nice photos at the link:

Carrie Underwood's Stylist Talks Fashion and the Grammys - Film.com

Carrie Underwood's Stylist Talks Fashion and the Grammys

From the evolution of the country Idol's style to her list of go-to designers, Trish Townsend gives us the scoop.

Natalie Broulette, Feb 03, 2009

It's almost Grammy time and we can't wait to see what the stars will wear on music's biggest night. We spoke with Carrie Underwood's stylist, Trish Townsend, to get the insider scoop on dressing a celeb and to pick up some hints on the Idol alum's Grammy garb. Based out of Nashville, Trish boasts a bevy of country singer clients and has been in the business for 18 years -- as she said, "Way before being a stylist was cool." She told us all about working with Carrie, her go-to designers and how the country superstar's style has developed since American Idol.

Natalie Broulette: How long have you worked with Carrie?

Trish Townsend: I've worked with Carrie about three and half years. It was right when she came out of the Idol contest. I started working with her around September after she had won.

NB: What can you tell me about the collaborative process with her?

TT: I can honestly say about Carrie, she is the hardest working entertainer I've ever worked with. She's really trying to get her feet planted firmly. We just learned to trust each other right away. She trusted me to bring her good ideas. She pretty much set the tone initially. She told me, 'I just want to be feminine.' She loves girly. We really started from scratch. You know she had nothing. She didn't even have a handbag. It was kind of fun, she didn't have any preconceived notions when she got there other than just keep it pretty and grow with it from there, and that's what we did.

NB: How has her style evolved?

TT: It's like with anything somebody does, at first, you feel so conspicuous if you show a little bit of cleavage or you show some leg, but now she doesn't feel quite as conspicuous. She's braver, she doesn't mind wearing brighter colors. She's ready to stand out more and she does, but we took it gently and slowly. We didn't come out guns blazing saying, 'Look at me!' We were very ladylike and gentle about it. I feel likes she's more accustomed and she enjoys the process more now.

NB: Are there certain designers that you go to over and over again?

TT: Absolutely. You know, initially, of course, nobody wanted to help me out at all, but David Rodriguez, BCBG and Nicole Miller were there from the very beginning. We still go to them because they were just so special initially. We also have grown very fond of Naeem Khan, Georges Chakra, Zuhair Murad, oh and Badgley Mischka. We can't forget the Badgley Mischka boys, they've been wonderful. It's fun to add in new designers every time. I want to keep everybody on their toes, keep her on her toes, keep me on my toes.

NB: Can you talk a little bit about blending country style with Hollywood glamour? Is that something that you try to do or does it just happen naturally?

TT: Everything we've done has been so organic. I mean it's my taste combined with her taste. I guess I don't even think of her in a country way. Like what would be elements that say that to you?

NB: I think the floral looks she wears and really even the brighter colors are not typically what you see on the red carpet.

TT: Yeah, like the Grammys last year when she wore the Zuhair Murad.

NB: I loved that dress. I thought that was gorgeous.

TT: You know I said, 'Carrie, I'm just gonna be as honest as I can. There's probably gonna be somebody that says, Oh, she's wearing her grandmother's curtains.' But we both agreed that it was just her. It was fresh. She is a star now, she's not afraid of taking a hit. She said, 'Even if they don't like it, I really, really like it and I feel pretty in it.' So as long as she feels pretty and comfortable, we're happy. People are going to say what they say, but she got a lot of compliments on it.

NB: Can you gives us any hints about what she'll be wearing to this year's Grammys?

TT: You know, I would love to, but we haven't even had her fitting yet. She's got all kinds of stuff going on in her world. So what I'll do is right before the Grammys, we'll do a fitting in Los Angeles. I just do a lot of research and talk to the designers. I'm excited. We're trying to work out some opportunities with Zac Posen this year and Reem Acra -- I'm such a fan of her designs as well. So we might use a new designer, we might stay with the standard. The whole pressure point there is that everything has to come together in a just a couple of days, like after we get the dress, then it's the shoes and the handbag, and then you're competing with the weekend.

NB: And Carrie typically does so many outfit changes, does that make your job harder or is it just more fun?

TT: Well, I already have her performance outfit worked out. I designed it. I design a lot of her performance outfits just because those are the ones she really, really cares about because it's a way to interpret her music. When she's performing, she wants the fashion to coincide with what she's singing, so we always try to make sure it's another way to interpret what the music is about.

NB: Well, that's awesome. We'll look for it.

Zuhair Murad dress, I thought that was very pretty with the floral design.

Tonight are the Grammys. But yesterday was Carries rehersal day. These are some longer articles that I have edited to just highlight the parts that relate to her. She is getting some rave reviews & just as an interesting side note…who is the Female Guitar Player they all reference? Enquiring minds want to know…

Grammy Rehearsals, Day Three: Radiohead, Carrie Underwood, Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and some dude named Stevie | PopWatch Blog | EW.com

I didn't envy Carrie Underwood having to follow that lot into the room, but then I remembered it's a rehearsal, not a competition. Still, the blonde held her own, and you gotta respect a gal who can work a bedazzled microphone and a bombastic song like "Last Name" at 10:30 in the morning. Clearly, the kid wakes up warmed up and able to drill notes that go far above and beyond the soundcheck call of duty, using her patented grip-the-mic-and-crank-it body language to summon her platinum-selling wail from wherever it is housed and get random people in the front row to give her a standing ovation. She nailed the song at full power three times in a row. "She is very loud," I texted a friend of mine. "It's because she's 20," he texted back. She's 25, but anyway, you get the point. I like that Carrie went with her Cuervo song instead of that prom queen number she did on the People's Choice Awards -- it'll balance out Chesney's choice of sincerity quite well, I think -- and I also enjoy her female guitarist, who was up there shredding like Slash, if Slash had a perky ponytail.

Grammy rehearsals with Carrie Underwood: She's a JoBros fan | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

Grammy rehearsals with Carrie Underwood: She's a JoBros fan
    12:36 PM PT, Feb 7 2009

EXCLUSIVE

Carrie_underwood Are you ready for the country? Carrie Underwood is.

Underwood is just one of a number of artists making up the Nashville contingent at the Grammy Awards this Sunday. Other performers include Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney and Sugarland.

"A few years ago I performed on the Grammys and Rascal Flatts and I were the only country acts," Underwood said at this morning's rehearsals. "We did a tribute to Bob Wills and the Eagles ... now this year, there's a ton of country. It's so exciting."

There's a wandering cycle through the years of country music moving in and out of the mainstream pop scene. Today, Underwood sees a surging country-pop scene. Where does she place herself in it? "Right now I feel like I'm in on the bottom floor.... Country is starting to appeal to such a wide audience, it's reaching the masses," she said.

But Underwood, who was named best new artist at the Grammys in 2007, is not just riding the wave -- she's a big part of the push. Her standing in the industry has been more than solidified, as she has proven herself to be more than a contest winner.

After the singer wrapped up her rehearsal of "Last Name," Grammy executive producer Ken Ehrlich marveled at the skills of the former "American Idol," as well as her growth as a performer. "She's gotten so strong. She's always had the voice but her control is fantastic now," Ehrlich said.

And as a added bonus. Last night was the annual Clive Davis party. Here is Carrie. My goodness!!!

Carrie is once again a Grammy Award Winner. Best Country Female Vocal for Last Name... Congrats again Ms. Carrie.

The Academy of Country Music Nominations were announced this morning. Carrie got 3 nods.

Video of the Year [Award to Producer(s)/Director(s)/Artist(s)]

Johnny & June - Heidi Newfield Producer: Karen Martin
    Director: Eric Welch

Just A Dream - Carrie Underwood
    Producer: Randy Brewer
    Director: Roman White

Love Story - Taylor Swift
    Producer: Trent Hardville
    Director: Trey Fanjoy

Troubadour - George Strait
    Producer: Dominic Cancilla
    Director: Trey Fanjoy

Waitin' On A Woman - Brad Paisley
    Producer: Mark Kalbfeld, Jim Shea
    Director: Jim Shea, Peter Tilden

Top Female Vocalist

Miranda Lambert
    Heidi Newfield
    Taylor Swift
    Carrie Underwood
    Lee Ann Womack

And she breaks the Good Ol Boy syndrome & gets a nod for EOTY.

Entertainer of the Year

Kenny Chesney
    Brad Paisley
    George Strait
    Carrie Underwood
    Keith Urban

I hope she can be the first woman since Shania Twain to win EOTY. I will scream if Kenny Chesney wins again, seeing as how Carrie sold out more shows than he did.

I hope she wins TFV too, but Taylor and Miranda might be tough competition this year.
    Forever a Word Nerd

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3315756;

And she breaks the Good Ol Boy syndrome & gets a nod for EOTY.

Entertainer of the Year

Kenny Chesney
    Brad Paisley
    George Strait
    Carrie Underwood
    Keith Urban
    Go Carrie! What incredible news, I'd be thrilled if she won EOTY!

FORT Fanatic

I like Taylor Swift, and enjoy her songs.... however, when I think of "vocalist", she really doesn't come to mind!

I'm going to post this is two threads (I hope the mods don't mind) because I want fans of both of these folks to read it just in case they don't read about one or the other.

Today is the grand opening of the Idol Experience at Walt Disney World. There are almost 30 of the former Idols in attendance including Paula & Ryan. For the first time ever all 7 previous winners will be onstage together.

The big news though is that tonight there is an invitation only party & concert. The performers will be David Cook followed by Carrie & then the two are going to do a duet. No word yet on what they are doing, but we hope to get some videos.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3318764;
    The big news though is that tonight there is an invitation only party & concert. The performers will be David Cook followed by Carrie & then the two are going to do a duet. No word yet on what they are doing, but we hope to get some videos.
    Carrie and David together! Now that is something I'd like to witness.

+ Reply to Thread