+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

Kenny Chesney has won Entertainer of the Year for the past umpteen years in large part because of the huge stadium shows he puts on every Summer. But look at the below figures for Carrie vs. Kenny in the same arena within weeks.

Kenny Chesney
    John Labatt Centre
    London, Ontario
    Dec. 1, 2008
    $141,069
    2,699 / 3,036
    1 / 0
    $69.03, $52.88, $36.73
    Live Nation

Carrie Underwood, Little Big Town
    John Labatt Centre
    London, Ontario
    Oct. 6, 2008
    Attendance/Capacity - 8,757 / 8,757
    Ticket Prices - $53.13, $36.50
    Gross - $401,083

The critic for The Tennessean didn't give her Nashville show a good review.

Carrie Underwood's ebbs and flows end well

By Cindy Watts THE TENNESSEAN December 9, 2008

Less than four years ago no one had ever heard of Carrie Underwood. And placed in that context, her Sunday night headlining performance at Sommet Center was nothing short of remarkable.

The 2005 American Idol winner pranced about her somewhat modest stage for about an hour and a half at the Nashville stop on her headlining tour, belting out 19 songs between two costume changes, hitting and sustaining notes many singers in country music wouldn't dare try. Despite that undeniable talent as a vocalist, Underwood still has room to grow as a headlining act.
    Advertisement

Her No. 1 songs, including "Wasted," "Jesus, Take the Wheel" and "Before He Cheats," punctuated the show, but having only accumulated (a nonetheless impressive) nine radio hits at this point in her career, the singer was left to stock much of the first half of her set with album cuts, largely from her Carnival Ride CD.

The lesser-known songs slowed the pace of her show at times with Underwood's career yet in its early stages, less-avid listeners of her CDs found themselves facing a slew of songs with which they weren't familiar. It's not that Underwood's album tracks are weak, but audience members who've become accustomed to sing-along-studded arena shows might've felt less engaged.

Underwood kicked off the show with Carnival album cut "Flat on the Floor," and of the first nine songs only three were radio singles. Since the singer didn't introduce many of the numbers to the largely family-filled crowd, less fanatic ticket-holders were left to guess if the songs were old, new or from an upcoming project.
    Applause bait?

An awkward moment came after a lengthy video montage of Underwood's career highlights, which gave the singer a chance to pull off her first costume change. Clad in a glamorous navy blue ball gown, she ascended from beneath the stage on a small platform that elevated her, as if on a pedestal, while she sang "I Know You Won't." The sequence appeared to be staged to get big applause but was met with a somewhat tepid response. However, Underwood recaptured the audience with "Jesus, Take the Wheel," before ripping the skirt of the ball gown away to reveal a shorter, form-fitting version of the dress as she sang "I Ain't In Checotah Anymore."

It was when Underwood revealed her more playful side that she seemed the most poised, at ease with the audience and arena-ready.

Before "All-American Girl," Underwood pulled a young girl from the audience to help her sing, asking the child if she knew the words. "Sort of," replied the fan, who said her name was Riley Apple. "If I put the mike up to you, can you sing 'All-American Girl'? Yes? Well, you know as much as I do," Underwood joked. The exchange was one of the evening's more memorable moments.

In setting up "The More Boys I Meet," Underwood told the near-capacity crowd, "I know there are good men out there. There's probably some in the audience tonight, and they're probably married. That's OK, there's someone out there for me."

The evening was not without its ups and downs, but considering where Underwood sat four years ago in an Oklahoma college classroom Sunday night's effort felt valiant and full of potential, and underlined how far the singer has come. In 2004, Underwood wasn't sure what she wanted to do with her future and tried out for American Idol on a whim.

"It worked out pretty well," she said. "One silly little decision to go try out for something I had virtually zero chance of winning, all led to this."

I think that reviewer isn’t much of a fan to begin with, because one of the biggest complaints was that she didn’t tell the name of the songs? Fans know, trust me. By the way Kellie Pickler, Katherine McPhee, Simon Cowell & Simon Fuller were all at the show.

Anyway, here is another review of the same exact show, so I guess it all depends on which direction you approach it from.

Does America’s Favorite “Idol” Really Have The Goods? Sounds That Way To Me | popGeezer.com

Does America’s Favorite “Idol” Really Have The Goods? Sounds That Way To Me

At the very least, I’ve now heard a member of the legendary Grand Ole’ Opry perform a credible cover version of GN’Rs “Paradise City”.

But there was much more on display, and to think about, when Carrie Underwood brought her “Carnival Ride” tour to a ”hometown” stop in Nashville on 12/7. In less than four years, this Oklahoma native has gone from a pretty college senior to one of the most acclaimed stars in the music industry. Winning the 2005 season of TV’s “American Idol” shot the girl with the big voice out of a pop culture cannon and took her on a high-speed “Carnival Ride”, the title of her 2007 second album and 2008 initial headlining tour. And the arena-scale stage show she brought to the Sommet Center celebrated and took advantage of every part of that adventure in this presentation.

The opening portion of the show featured several uptempo tracks like “Flat on the Floor” and “Crazy Dreams” from “Carnival Ride”. The overall concert sound was pretty rough at the outset, with the backing band loud, tinny and undefined. Underwood’s voice was mixed above the din, and maybe it’s from weeks of listening to Simon Cowell judge “The X Factor”, but I’d say she was “shouting” her vocals to get above the dissonance. Nevertheless, Carrie has a big voice and was on pitch over the band. It took most of this opening section of the set for the sound to settle down to something closer to correct.

Her first costume change was covered by a video package that told Carrie’s story in reverse, from current superstar back to the 2005 “Idol” final. The video moved pretty quickly, emphasizing Underwood’s humility in the swirl of growing stardom, and sort of glossed over the details of 9,000,000 records sold, 9 #1 Country singles, and almost 50 industry awards, 3 of them Grammys and 3 consecutive CMA Female Vocalist awards. That’s a lot for a girl to digest in a very short time. So, yes, I went into the night skeptical if this “Idol” was really all that. I’d seen most of her CMA lady competitors of the past three years perform live on multiple occasions and thought her beating Martina McBride three times in a row may have been hype and overkill.

Then the video package ended, and Carrie Underwood made me a believer. Rising out of the elevated ledge above the main stage floor for the second time, now bedecked in a pale blue ball gown, and starting by just singing the tiniest taste of her “Idol” winning single “Inside Your Heaven”, Underwood then launched into a chills-inducing version of “I Know You Won’t” from “Ride”. Her version of this plaintive ballad, with a lead into each chorus that really showcases Underwood’s upper vocal range, was a total show-stopper in every sense of the phrase. Any concert audience worth their salt - and I’ll get to that in a minute - would have leapt to their feet at the song’s conclusion.

Through 3 1/2 costume changes, Underwood covered all her hit records, almost all of “Ride”, and even created a couple of “Idol” moments. Launching into a nice cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”, she invited her wonderful support act Little Big Town back to the stage to help her on the song. (Quick aside - Litle Big Town’s set featured truly sterling sound. Score one for the opening act!) Then after the combo of her latest hit “Just A Dream” and last winter’s “So Small”, Carrie called to her band to “pick it up”.

That’s when we got “Paradise City”. Pretty darn rocking, and Carrie’s screming was more melodic than Axl’s. This was followed quickly by her own rowdy anthem “Before He Cheats”, and then the show was done.

The evening was certainly enjoyable, and Carrie Underwood did impress. But the big nit to pick is one of identity and the musical “setting” of the majority of Carrie’s songs. The girl can sing, has great pitch for a “belter”, and is much better suited to songs that play to her mid and upper vocal range. And, for me, that voice is perfectly suited to country music. But the assembled band, and all of the stage presentation, was built to put out a rock and pop vibe. On the big ballads, which are meant to put all the focus on the singer and the song regardless of the genre, everything went very well. But the rocking musical setting does not really suit Underwood, and, as mentioned before, seemed to put her at odds with the band in a struggle to be heard.

Carrie is the most successful, and “industry accepted”, of the “Idol” alumni. Her talent and presentability are a big part of that, but so are the mechanics of how her career’s been handled to date. She is pretty much the only past winner still managed by “Idol” impresario Simon Fuller’s 19 Management, has accepted the input of music industry legend Clive Davis far more graciously than others (say, Kelly Clarkson), and has reaped the benefit of such sage advice. Granted, Underwood is only twenty-five, but she’s still an artist in search of a specific identity. Pretty girl next door works well for a while, but it’s not a long-term career path in contemporary music. The artistry has to be on par with the talent, or grow at a similar rate with it, to become a true superstar with staying power. She’s got the goods, and all the potential in the world.

Lastly, back to that show-stopper, and the disappointing response. Trust me, Carrie did her part. The audience, as I noted this summer for Taylor Swift, was loaded with girls and very young ladies. Carrie really started up, and Taylor’s adding to, this serious recruitment of the next generation of country’s core female demographic. These misses need to be trained on how to properly react to a show-stopper, or, to understand what a real show-stopper is. Underwood can deliver them - “Playing For Time” on the 2008 “Idol Gives Back” special, for example - and she did on “So Small” and “I Know You Won’t”. So kids, if you’re going to see Carrie on 12/16 at the Opry, make sure you stand up when the lady finishes her song. She earned it.

Carrie is in 5th place for biggest Country Tour of the year. This doesn’t include the co-headlining dates with Keith Urban, any of the Fair type of shows, the CMA Music Fest or the last months worth of shows with Little Big Town. Almost $21.6 million, & an amazing 97.2% of available tickets sold. Pretty good stuff for a first time headliner.

2008 Billboard Top 5 Tours - Country
    Ranked by Gross. Compiled from Boxscores reported Nov. 14, 2007 through Nov. 11, 2008.

__ Act ____________ Total Gross _ Attendance _ Capacity _ Shows _ Sellouts
    1. Kenny Chesney __ $86,306,618 _ 1,187,622 _ 1,252,227 ___ 46 ____ 25
    2. Rascal Flatts __ $55,863,364 ___ 941,827 ___ 967,726 ___ 65 ____ 58
    3. Toby Keith _____ $31,699,677 ___ 696,192 ___ 842,146 ___ 56 _____ 7
    4. Brad Paisley ___ $23,620,731 ___ 592,889 ___ 763,928 ___ 58 ____ 23
    5. Carrie Underwood $21,560,403 ___ 448,346 ___ 461,051 ___ 72 ____ 45

A few more acts have been added to the Opry show this Tuesday Night. It will be televised on GAC on Saturday for those that get the channel.

12/16 Ryman Auditorium Tuesday Night Opry: Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Julianne Hough, Chuck Wicks, Diamond Rio, Bill Anderson

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3251038;
    A few more acts have been added to the Opry show this Tuesday Night. It will be televised on GAC on Saturday for those that get the channel.

12/16 Ryman Auditorium Tuesday Night Opry: Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Julianne Hough, Chuck Wicks, Diamond Rio, Bill Anderson
    Sounds like a pretty good show!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Carrie’s Carnival Ride tour ended last night in Gainesville. I would imagine they are all ready to get off the road for a while. A fyull year & close to 200 shows has to wear anyone down.Here is the final night review.

Country star Underwood wows O'Dome | Gainesville.com | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville, FL

Country star Underwood wows O'Dome

By David Hackett
    Correspondent

Published: Monday, December 15, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 11:56 p.m.

A new generation of Okie from Muskogee brought her brand of country music to the O’Connell Center’s stage Sunday night as Carrie Underwood performed before a near sellout crowd of 6,200 fans.

Unlike the usual college concert, Underwood brought out all ages. College students still predominated but the O’Dome looked an awful lot like family night as parents brought the next generation to see one of the most popular singers in music today. Of the students present, the men were heavily outnumbered as packs of young women, dressed in cowboy boots, short skirts and cowboy hats ruled the night.

“It’s my Christmas present,” said UF student Ali Lacey, 21, of Bradenton. Her concert partner, Emily Jones, 19, of Gainesville, had bought her the ticket.

“It’s a good night to get the girls together,” said Laura Browning, 19, a UF elementary education major. She brought four other women with her for the show.

Of course, not everyone was there just for the music.

“Look at the boys,” squealed Whitney Hines, 19, a Santa Fe College student who came dressed in boots, miniskirt, cowboy hat and Texas-sized belt buckle. Hines and her similarly dressed concert buddy, Ashley McDaniel, 16, were attending their first Underwood concert.

“She’s way better than Taylor Swift,” McDaniel said.

The evening opened when Little Big Town took the stage at 7:30 for a one-hour set. Little Big Town has a considerable following of its own. Jeff and Donna Burdge of Newberry brought out 10-year-old Blake to see Underwood but confessed they were really here for the opening act.

The crowd was clearly in sync, standing and singing along with the band. The only odd point came during the introductions of the band members as the crowd (prompted by the flanking video screens) booed when the musicians announced their roots in Georgia and Tennessee.

The band made the peace by performing the Gator Chomp to roaring approval. During their last song, UF mascot Albert, dressed in a Santa outfit, came out on stage and danced with the band as they closed their set to applause usually reserved for the headliner.

The crowd came to its feet as one when Underwood rose up out of the two-tiered stage at 8:50 p.m. and immediately took the theatrical aspect of the night to another level.

With a half-moon video screen showing a close-up of the singer that People Magazine has listed as one of the “100 Most Beautiful People” for the last two years, Underwood looked more ready for a runway than a concert stage.

Clutching a glittering microphone, she immediately opened with two high-intensity songs before backing off the gas, just a bit, with her hit, “Wasted.”

Throughout the evening the Grand Ole Opry member worked an extended stage that included a runway stretching halfway across the stadium floor. Making use of the three video screens to add digital fireworks and video footage, the singer punched out song after song, with the strong, distinctive voice that has garnered her three Grammy awards in the last two years.

If anything seemed odd, it was the video footage of Underwood winning awards, making magazine covers and doing charity work. A promotional video seemed out of place in a concert but gave the singer time to change outfits as she moved from boots and a dress to an evening gown.

Underwood changed pace along with costumes, dropping the speed, if not the intensity. As she belted out her hit “Jesus Take the Wheel,” faces young and old sang along in the dimly lit arena.

Between songs the singer talked about going home to Checotah, Okla., for Christmas and her troubles finding a man, an interesting confession for the woman PETA twice called the “World’s Sexiest Vegetarian.”

Underwood seemed to revel in changing the mood over and over, at one point breaking into a smoking rendition of The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” before segueing into a rocking version of “Last Name.” Later on Little Big Town joined her for a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way.”

More than a few members of the crowd have been fans of the singer since her winning performance on “American Idol” in 2005.

“We picked her for the winner,” said Imez Colson, 60, of Gainesville, who came to see the show with her husband, Lewis.

This is Underwood’s first trip to Gainesville and the last night of her Carnival Ride tour, supporting her second album, “Carnival Ride,” which has sold about 3 million copies since its release date in late October.

Underwood came to fame in 2005 as the first country singer to win the immensely popular reality contest. Her debut album, “Some Hearts,” went on to become Billboard’s top country album for two years in a row, racked up multiple awards and records and sold more than 7 million copies.

Her new album has pushed her catalog over the 10 million mark. She has toured regularly with country heavyweights such as Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban.

The Opry website has a new banner featuring Ms. Carrie.

Grand Ole Opry : This Week

Last edited by Unklescott; 12-16-2008 at 05:59 PM.

I find it very interesting that Carrie is the only artist mentioned in this article, and that they would put out a press release to announce one performer while not mentioning any of the others.

Carrie Underwood to sing at People's Choice Awards - Las Cruces Sun-News

Carrie Underwood to sing at People's Choice Awards

LOS ANGELES—The People's Choice Awards says Carrie Underwood will perform at its 35th annual ceremony next month.

The awards show, airing Jan. 7 on CBS, will be hosted by Queen Latifah at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, organizers said Wednesday. The People's Choice trophies go to fan favorites in TV, movies and music.

Underwood went from "American Idol" winner to a country music star whose hits include "Just a Dream" and "Jesus, Take the Wheel."

From the Official Idol Website. Pretty cool stuff.

Carrie Underwood Ends 2008 On Top - American Idol News

Another Banner Year for Carrie Underwood - American Idol News

Not only is Carrie Underwood the 2008 CMA and ACM Female Vocalist of The Year, but she is also the top selling country female touring artist of 2008 as her headlining "Carnival Ride Tour" wrapped this past weekend with fan attendance close to 1.2 million. Carrie played 137 concerts to many sell-out crowds, and appeared last night on the Grand Ole Opry stage for her last live performance of the year.

In addition to her highly successful headline tour, 2008 was a stellar year for Carrie. She closes out 2008 as the most-heard artist in country radio and was named the #1 Hot Country Songs Artist by Billboard and #1 Top Country Artist by Radio & Records. She became a member of the Grand Ole Opry, co-hosted the CMA Awards with Brad Paisley, won her first BMI Awards as a songwriter, scored 2 more #1 single co-writes this year for a total of 3, performed for the Idol Gives Back and Stand Up 2 Cancer benefits, sang with Elvis on the Elvis Presley Christmas Duets CD, saw her likeness come to life as the latest wax figure at Madame Tussauds New York, shot television commercials, made her second appearance on "Saturday Night Live," graced the covers of Allure, Cosmopolitan, Elle, Glamour, In Style, Shape and more, and she was included for a second consecutive year in People Magazine’s "Most Beautiful" issue.

Check out Carrie's many looks over the last few years in her Transformation Gallery!

Carrie heads into the New Year with a Grammy nomination for Best Country Female Vocal Performance for "Last Name," as well as 3 People’s Choice Award nominations- Favorite Female Singer, Favorite Country Song for "Last Name" and Favorite Star 35 & Under. Carrie will perform on the People’s Choice Awards on January 7, 2009.

Since winning American Idol in 2005, Carrie has become one of the most popular performers in the nation. Her debut album, Some Hearts, is the biggest selling AI debut project to date, having sold more than seven million albums in the United States. With the release of her current album, Carnival Ride, she has now sold nearly 10 million albums in just over three years and has had nine No. 1 singles. Her many accolades include 8 Billboard Awards, 6 Academy of Country Music Awards, 5 Country Music Association Awards, 5 American Music Awards, 4 CMT Awards, 3 Grammy’s, 2 People’s Choice Awards, 2 BMI Songwriter Awards, and many more.

Despite her tremendous post-Idol success, she has never forgotten her AI roots. Watch our exclusive Q & A session with Carrie from last year, in which she answered questions directly from fans!

+ Reply to Thread