+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

One more bit of news. After the official sales numbers came out this week, Carrie's two albums have now gone over the 9 million units sold level.

I found this old photo. Of course it's Carrie with Tony Romo. The lady with the print dress is Carries Mom. The guy in the back that you can barely see is named Keith, he is Carries tour/security manager. The girl just off her shoulder with the long blonde hair is Ann Edelblute. Every time Carrie wins an award she thanks Ann & Simon Fuller, I thought maybe some of you were wondering "Who is Ann?" She works for 19 & has been with Carrie from the beginning.

Carrie won Favorite Country Album last night on the American Music Awards.

Here is a nice interview from a Wisconsin paper.

WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL

FRI., NOV 28, 2008 - 5:22 PM
    Giving thanks: Humble Carrie Underwood realizes how far she's come since 'Idol' breakthrough
    By TOM ALESIA
    608-252-6122
    talesia@madison.com

Country music's most popular current female singer, Carrie Underwood, admits she can't believe her good luck. Each day, she says, she takes a moment to realize, "Wow, this is my life."

It's been 3 years since Underwood stomped through "American Idol" beating the competition so soundly that acerbic judge Simon Cowell -- with more than 10 weeks left in the season -- declared she would win "Idol" and proceed to sell millions of albums.

Underwood, now 25, followed Cowell's prediction and accomplished much more. Country music fans embraced her as firmly as paint sticks to the wall. The rural Oklahoma native's debut album, "Some Hearts," dominated radio airwaves and sold 7 million copies.

Her single, "Before He Cheats," crossed over to the pop charts. She briefly dated Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo. And she won two Grammy Awards, including Best New Artist.

Then her career really took off.

This year, she headlined an arena tour, which stops in Madison Thursday; became the youngest current Grand Ole Opry member (with Garth Brooks inducting her, no less); broke the record business slump with nearly 3 million sales of her sophomore album "Carnival Ride"; co-hosted the Country Music Awards; and turned into wax.

The latter happened at Madame Tussauds in New York's Times Square last month. "Standing next to myself," she says of the wax Underwood, "it was freaky how detailed everything was."

Her current tour features Underwood's 9 No. 1 hits and two quite different covers: Randy Travis' vintage relaxed ballad "I Told You So" and Guns N' Roses' rip-it-up rocker "Paradise City." "I grew up listening to everything and those are two of my favorite songs," Underwood says. "I feel lucky I can do that and nobody sits there thinking, Whoa, what just happened.'"

Well, a few concertgoers may be surprised, even if she does justice to both songs. It also signals how far Underwood has tapped into a sizable young country audience, usually well-versed in rock anthems.

In a phone interview from Nashville, Underwood is polished. Almost too polished. She's also business savvy. She acknowledges the need to be a "team player" to achieve her success and she co-wrote most tunes on "Carnival Ride" with many of Nashville's best songwriters -- a common thread among country's biggest stars.

Underwood also didn't emerge from under a rock with her bring-down-the-house vocals. At 13, she was teen sensation in Oklahoma, opening gigs for national country acts Diamond Rio and Earl Thomas Conley. She was set to sign with a major label when the deal fell through.

After her teens, she sang only for fun at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., where she earned a degree in mass communications.

Just before graduation, she tried out for "American Idol" in St. Louis.

She still talks to her mother on the phone daily. And although she was named "Sexiest Female Musician" by Victoria's Secret, Underwood wants an image not far from girl-next-door.

"There's a way to be sexy and not be trashy," she says.

What's next for Underwood? Acting?

"We had a lot of offers for different roles, but my schedule is full," she says. "If something came up that sounds like fun, I would do it. Not a huge role; I probably can't act. Maybe something little and fun."

She also wants to grow as an artist. She lists that as her goal after a rare pause.

"It's hard to set goals because I feel so lucky for all the stuff that's happened so far," she admits. "I'd feel selfish and guilty to ask for more."

Carrie has less than 10 shows left on her tour, but she continues to get some great reviews such as this one from last night‘s show in Regina Canada.

Underwood worked it on Brandt Centre stage

Underwood worked it on Brandt Centre stage
    By Jeff DeDekker, Leader-Post December 2, 2008 12:01 PM

Carrie Underwood
    (with Little Big Town)
    Monday
    The Brandt Centre

REGINA -- The transformation of Carrie Underwood is complete.

After winning the American Idol title in 2005, there was never any doubt about Underwood’s singing ability. The big question, however, was if Underwood could make the transition and blossom into an entertainer. Underwood put those doubts to rest before a sold-out crowd Monday night at the Brandt Centre with a performance that was impressive in every respect.
    Emerging from a rising platform in the second level of the stage-on-a-stage production, Underwood grabbed everyone’s attention with “Flat On The Floor” and “Some Hearts.” Decked out in an all-black ensemble -- form-fitting pants and top with a triple waist belt and tall boots -- Underwood took control of the stage from the first note. In her previous local appearance at the 2007 Craven Country Jamboree, Underwood spent the majority of her 75-minute set riveted to a stool, singing with a deer-in-the-headlights look on her face.
    What a difference 18 months of touring and constant performing can make. Underwood exuded confidence and appeared much more comfortable and at home on the stage. She used every inch of the staging to interact with the fans and the performance was more memorable because of it. As they say in the business, she was workin’ it.
    So how comfortable was Underwood in the spotlight? Well, comfortable enough to skip her way across the stage during “Wasted.” Underwood was obviously enjoying herself and she was easily able to transfer that joy to the crowd.
    Supported by an eight-piece band, Underwood also benefitted from a top-notch production. Backed by a large half-circle video screen and using tools ranging from green lasers to revolving light fixtures that descended from the rafters, Underwood sparkled in the spotlight. Underwood also made numerous trips on a long catwalk that stretched out into the seating area on the facility floor, much to the delight of the crowd.
    During “All-American Girl” Underwood brought a six-year-old girl up on stage to sing with her. The youngster, decked out in an Underwood T-shirt large enough to double as a dress, wasn’t shy about belting out the tune with her superstar idol. Again, this was another example of Underwood’s transformation as a performer -- interacting with a fan on stage, especially one as young as this little girl, was definitely out of scope for Underwood in her earlier days.
    Another example of her maturation as an artist came late in the show when a male fan leaped onto the catwalk. Underwood, who was at the end of the catwalk, stopped dead in her tracks but continued to sing. Once security dragged the man from the stage, she continued on her way as if nothing had happened.
    As the show progressed, it was impossible to forget who the star was. It might have been the four-minute video tribute or the four outfit changes but Underwood owned the spotlight. The video tribute was really unnecessary — it was basically preaching to the choir — but it enabled Underwood to sneak off stage for a wardrobe change. She reappeared in a ballroom gown, a fitting design for the powerful ballads “I Know You Won’t” and “Jesus Take The Wheel.” As the second song came to an end, a blast of bright light flashed and boom, the bottom portion of Underwood’ gown disappeared to reveal a shorter version of the dress.
    As Underwood worked her way through her long list of hits, she took the time to give the fans a couple glimpses of her personality. She bemoaned the fact that everything in her life is going well with the exception of her love life.
    “The only thing missing from my life is a boy,” Underwood told the crowd. “I’m manless.”
    Underwood then suggested others in the crowd who shared her predicament follow her advice on the subject: “Get a dog.”
    While she did have a brief search of the audience for a Prince Charming, Underwood was more concerned with her music and it showed. Another wardrobe changed followed -- jeans, tank top and vest -- and Underwood put the gas pedal to the floorboards with “Last Name,” “Don’t Forget To Remember Me” and “Go Your Own Way,” a cover of the 1976 Fleetwood Mac hit with opening act Little Big Town adding a helping hand.
    By the time Underwood got to “Just A Dream” and “So Small” there were no doubts to why she has won the CMA award as female vocalist-of-the-year for the past three years.
    The power and range of her voice is amazing and now she has a performing style to match. Underwood is now the real deal.

I have heard from multiple sources this weekend that Hugh Hefner has offered $3 million for Carrie to appear in the April 09 Issue of Playboy. No confirmation from Carries camp on the offer yet.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to THAT request.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3247202;
    I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to THAT request.
    Yeah, I have no doubt that it will be a big negative. I believe it would cost her much more that the $3 million in the long run. I have heard that the Vitamin Water endorsement alone is 5 years, $25 million. Carrie has become a very wealthy young woman.

Anybody that is going to be in Nashville next Tuesday night here is a pretty nice lineup for you at the Opry. And as a bonus this one is at the Ryman..the Mother Church of Country Music. Other acts will be added prior to showtime.

12/16 Ryman Auditorium Tuesday Night Opry: Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Diamond Rio, Bill Anderson

The Carnival Ride Tour is on it's last legs. Just 3 shows left in Florida this week. After almost 200 shows this year Carrie gets off the road for a while.

+ Reply to Thread