+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3228205;
    Good for Carrie!!! I wish more musicians and actors felt the same way.

FOXNews.com - Carrie Underwood Loses Respect for Stars Who Endorse a Candidate - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Carrie Underwood Loses Respect for Stars Who Endorse a Candidate
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Country singer Carrie Underwood may seem like America’s sweetheart, but just make sure you don’t ask her who she is voting for in this year’s presidential election.

“There is someone I do support, but I don’t support publicly,” gossip Web site Just Jared quotes Underwood as telling TV Guide.

“I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate,” she said. “It’s saying that the American public isn’t smart enough to make their own decisions.”

The American Idol alum added that she would never want “anybody to vote for anything or anybody just because I told them to.”

Those may sound like harsh words, but Underwood thinks that musicians should stick to getting people away from “all the BS.”

“Whether it’s from politics or just the world around you, music should be an escape,” she said.
    How pathetically arrogant. Who the hell does she think she is that she imagines that people would vote for somebody just because she told them to? I guess she doesn't put much faith in her fans' intelligence and ability to decide for themselves.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3228795;
    How pathetically arrogant. Who the hell does she think she is that she imagines that people would vote for somebody just because she told them to? I guess she doesn't put much faith in her fans' intelligence and ability to decide for themselves.
    I have to agree with Bell. I absolutely hate it when I pay a lot of money to be entertained by somebody, but I have to hear them spew their hatred toward one candidate or push the other. If somebody asks them who they support and it happens to be somebody other than I support, that's one thing. But just let it sit there - don't go on and on, when it's supposed to be a concert, not a political rally.

I think many people have a mind of their own and will not vote for a candidate because a celebrity endorses that person.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3228870;
    I think many people have a mind of their own and will not vote for a candidate because a celebrity endorses that person.
    You are right - many people have a mind of their own and would not be affected by an artist's opinon. But there are a lot of people (especially the young ones) who don't have strong political opinions who will easily be swayed by the passion of a celebrity they admire.

In looking back, I realize I didn't quite get Ms. Froggy's point about the arrogance. The thing is, I think the arrogant ones are those who are spouting their opinions to their captive audience. They're trying to influence anyone who might be open to agreeing with their opinons. Why else share? And Carrie knows that fans often will mimic their idol's lifestyle. They want to be like them. We've all seen it. I'll bet some of her fans have at least tried a vegetarian lifestyle because of her.

I just think it's great Carrie isn't offending anyone by pushing her political opinions on them during her concerts. I wish more would take her position.

Reuters has picked up on this. I won’t repost the article as it is the same, but I wanted to put up the comments. It seems as though most are in agreement with Carrie & applaud her statement.

Fan Fare Blog Archive Carrie Underwood disses celeb political endorsements | Blogs | Reuters.com

November 4th, 2008
    7:25 pm GMT
    The whole world knows who Barbra Streisand is - but who the heck is Carries Underwood? I guess she must realize that nobody cares what she thinks or if she “loses respect for someone” because they voice their views. Honestly sweetie, and trust me on this one… many people care about what Barbra Streisand thinks - NOBODY cares about what YOU think.
    - Posted by Chris Sullivan

November 4th, 2008
    7:58 pm GMT
    Easy there Chris… I agree with Ms. Underwood. If you vote for someone because your favorite celeb says to then you are a moron and your voting rights should be taken away. My advise to Barbra and the likes, SHUT UP AND SING! If you want to be a politician, be a politician not a singer.
    - Posted by Brian
    November 4th, 2008

9:10 pm GMT
    Thank God somebody in Hollywood (Nashville) has a brain. Good for Carrie!! We’re proud of her!!!
    - Posted by Jim Letourneau

November 4th, 2008
    9:13 pm GMT
    Chris,
    That’s a pretty interesting comment considering American Idol has set records for total viewers for a TV show.
    I can guarantee you walk into a high school, college scene or ask someone under the age of 35 who she is and they will know.
    And trust me on this one “sweety”, your wrong on this one.
    I also agree with Carrie.
    - Posted by Charles

November 4th, 2008
    9:17 pm GMT
    I agree with Carrie Underwood that entertainers should not force their political views on the watching/listening public. I feel entertainers should do what they do best…ENTERTAIN. If you’re not in the political arena, stay out of it and let the public think for themselves.
    - Posted by Bob Smith

November 4th, 2008
    9:17 pm GMT
    Then again those same people who care what Barbara Streisand thinks are known by many names most commonly and often used being sheep. Carrie Underwood has a valid point. I may agree with Barbara Streisand\’s political views, but could care less about them. Count me out as a member of the cult of personality.
    - Posted by Richard

November 4th, 2008
    9:24 pm GMT
    I am not sure where you live Chris, but almost everyone in America knows who Carrie Underwood is. Oh, and the rest of the world really does not matter in this election.
    She is correct. Celebrity does not equal authority to endorse anything. I have always despised the way we worship celebrities. I do not care what any of them say about anything. I can think for myself
    - Posted by Rich Phillips

November 4th, 2008
    9:51 pm GMT
    Wow Chris, I am surprised you don’t know who Carrie Underwood is. Anyways, I think it’s nice to see such a celeb taking some responsibility for their influence. It’s her right. You’d have to be pretty ignorant to get behind a candidate just because a certain celeb endorses them.
    - Posted by jason

November 4th, 2008
    10:42 pm GMT
    Really, Chris? Some people care what Streisand thinks? Who are these people who care? You’re making the point FOR Carrie Underwood because Carrie herself implied that no one should care what she thinks, just like no one should care what Streisand thinks. I own several Streisand CDs and ZERO Carrie Underwood CDs but that’s because Streisand should stick to singing and leave politics alone. Same for Brad Pitt, Angelina, Leonardo, etc, etc. They are entertainers, so few even graduate high school let alone have any higher education so their opinions have little weight. The consensus here is against you on this day, Sir.
    - Posted by Cindy

November 5th, 2008
    12:46 am GMT
    Celebrities are asked for their opinions, are entitled to freedom of speech and expression. They are asked to support charities,use their fame to help raise monies and so forth. There lives are under scrutiny and constant exposure. Many of their actions are political or can be interpreted as such. Wearing fur, eating meat are examples. When celebrities speak out they have a platform which we as a society have given them. So they should take the time to be informed. Those who do educate themselves often become activists and put their own money and time where their mouths are.
    Whilst I do not rely on celebrity endorsement to sway my opinion, they are a fact of life. Their celebrity is used for the good of charities and good causes across the globe which are also political in nature. Endorsements are are a way of life and if they did not work they would not be used.
    Politicians are no different. They want your endorsements…. your votes!!!!!
    And last time I looked most celebrities have the right to vote, canvass for their choice et cetera.
    Also it is worth noting, the whole world is watching this election!!!
    - Posted by Stephen Coleman

November 5th, 2008
    3:35 am GMT
    Carrie Underwood is a huge star in America, Canada, and is also well known in Australia. She is a wonderful person and an incredible singer. I for one agree with her wholeheartedly, and I cherish her honesty. I am tired of Hollywood trying to tell me how to vote as if I am some dumb clod, who must follow Brad Pitt or Madonna like a dumb sheep. I have a doctorate, and am probably more informed on the issues then those over-payed celebs, most of whom do not even have a high school diploma. Bravo Carrie, for telling the truth.
    - Posted by Allison Morgan

November 5th, 2008
    8:42 pm GMT
    I totally agree with Carrie. What makes a celebrity more knowledgeable about politics than any other person? We all have brains don’t we? Most of us have access to the debates, newspapers, the internet to research the issues and the candidates. It’s fine to have an opinion and state who you support if asked, but a celebrity crosses the line when the y appear in ads or on tv telling you who to vote for. They are rich and famous for being entertainers, not politicians, unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger, ha. Overall, if you agree with the celeb’s views good for you, but vote because of your own views and opnions, not someone elses. You wouldn’t have one of these celebs next to you helping you take a class exam would you? uh no, trust yourself
    - Posted by Kristin

November 5th, 2008
    9:05 pm GMT
    Mixed feelings on this one. I have the upmost respect for Carrie Underwood. She’s a college graduate. Has a degree in mass communications w/an emphasis in journalism. Not to mention she graduated magna cum laude. I’m sure she has a political opinion, and it just goes to show you her class and respectablity by not trying to force her opinion on others. I’m sure she discusses these views with her FRIENDS, not her following. She’s intelligent enough to understand people can think for themselves.
    I agree w/Mr. Coleman, too. It’s all marketing. There will always be a celebrity endorsing something. Things sell better w/a celebrity backing it….sad but true.
    What makes me ill, is when the celebrity is bashing the opponent. Support your candidate, and do what you have to do to see them prevail, you have that right. But be tasteful, and don’t resort to low class. Support your candidate as a citizen, not as a celebrity, b/c when it is all said and done, you are just another person.
    - Posted by Vanessa

November 6th, 2008
    1:34 am GMT
    when hollyweird fawns over something or someone i take forgranted something is bonkers.
    every product we buy should have a label on the shelf telling what t.v. programs we are FORCED to subsidize when buying any “judas goat” product. this way we would have an “educated” choice when shopping. if we don’t like slop operas or the evening violence, VOTE by leaving the product on the shelf. that would tell hollyweird what people think of THEM!
    when hollyweird finally feels the pinch in their pocket they would stop spreading the icky goo they smear on culture with.
    some news people wrongly think they are “the fourth branch of government”. gushing cattie couric could take a serious lesson from carie underwood.
    - Posted by Terry

That was funny how that first guy got beat up for saying Carrie is a nobody!

You know, I wouldn't have a problem if a celeb just stated that he/she was voting for Obama, McCain, Nader or any of the other 5 candidates. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's when they force their audience to listen to them carry on. Some may agree, but it's uncomfortable for the others who don't.

These are a couple of promo photos for the CMA Awards this Wed. night. She sure does look gorgeous. I’m really looking forward to seeing her & Brad together.

This is a rather long article, but here is the part that pertains to Ms. Underwood.

Carrie Underwood Shines in Jonathan Arndt Gallery of Jewels at the 2008 CMA Awards

Carrie Underwood Shines in Jonathan Arndt Gallery of Jewels at the 2008 CMA Awards

Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels catapulted into the national spotlight when they formed an alliance with the Academy of Country Music, Country Music Association, Music Cares, The Starlight Starbright Foundation and The Society of Singers. The signature designers have jewelling events including The Oscar Awards, The Grammy's, The Academy of Country Music Awards, and The Country Music Awards.

This year, Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels will once again bedazzle The CMA Awards on November 12, 2008, on The ABC Network hosted by Carrie Underwood. Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels will fill the show with over 70 Million Dollars in Jewels!!

Keep your eyes on Carrie Underwood as she adorns "Precious Jewels" by Johnathon Arndt. This is not the first time Underwood has unveiled a breathtaking collection of jewels by Johnathon Arndt. The Founders have been working with Carrie Underwood for several years as her beauty, style and elegance are a perfect match for The Johnathon Arndt brand.

This year, Underwood is scheduled to be wearing one of the world's largest Emerald Sets valued at over 60 Million U.S. Dollars. Underwood is always the first to Go Green -- Go Green with Emeralds!! In addition to the Emerald Set, Underwood will also debut The Premier Johnathon Arndt Jeweled Watch Line Collection on the Red Carpet, Award Show and the After Party. The Jeweled Watches are valued between $85,000-$680,000, per watch.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3231956;
    This is a rather long article, but here is the part that pertains to Ms. Underwood.

Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels catapulted into the national spotlight when they formed an alliance with the Academy of Country Music, Country Music Association, Music Cares, The Starlight Starbright Foundation and The Society of Singers. The signature designers have jewelling events including The Oscar Awards, The Grammy's, The Academy of Country Music Awards, and The Country Music Awards.

This year, Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels will once again bedazzle The CMA Awards on November 12, 2008, on The ABC Network hosted by Carrie Underwood. Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels will fill the show with over 70 Million Dollars in Jewels!!

Keep your eyes on Carrie Underwood as she adorns "Precious Jewels" by Johnathon Arndt. This is not the first time Underwood has unveiled a breathtaking collection of jewels by Johnathon Arndt. The Founders have been working with Carrie Underwood for several years as her beauty, style and elegance are a perfect match for The Johnathon Arndt brand.

This year, Underwood is scheduled to be wearing one of the world's largest Emerald Sets valued at over 60 Million U.S. Dollars. Underwood is always the first to Go Green -- Go Green with Emeralds!! In addition to the Emerald Set, Underwood will also debut The Premier Johnathon Arndt Jeweled Watch Line Collection on the Red Carpet, Award Show and the After Party. The Jeweled Watches are valued between $85,000-$680,000, per watch.
    Holy Moley!!!!!!!!

You can also vote for her (and other TV, music and movie favorites) for People's Choice Awards. You can vote once a day.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

To late to edit the above but it looks as though Carrie did indeed win some of those BMI Awards.

2008 BMI Country Awards - Award-Winning Songs

ALL AMERICAN GIRL
    Carrie Underwood
    Carrie Okie Music
    Carrie Underwood
    Arista Nashville

SO SMALL
    Luke Laird
    Carrie Underwood
    Carrie Okie Music
    Carrie Underwood
    Arista Nashville