+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

razorbacker, was that at DeSoto Civic Center? There is a review of that one in today's Commercial Appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3224502;
    razorbacker, was that at DeSoto Civic Center? There is a review of that one in today's Commercial Appeal.
    No, it was in Jonesboro Ar. I saw the review you are talking about though, & they guy has issues.

In the interest of fairness here is the Memphis review referenced above. The guys main complaint seems to be about staging of the show. But, he tries to make the point that Carrie was faking the guitar playing, which she certainly plays. She’s no Clapton, but she does play. And the complaints about the banter being strained is just plain weird. It is always off the cuff & never canned like so many performers I have seen that say the same thing at the same point in each & every show. With Carrie you never know where she is going to go. At least the guy gives her credit for the vocals.

Concert review: Underwood's vocals shine : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Concert review: Underwood's vocals shine
    But stagecraft still a bit shaky for singer

By Mark Jordan
    Special to The Commercial Appeal
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008

As she took great pains to point out Sunday night, Carrie Underwood has come a long way in a short amount of time.

A video shown to the crowd of about 7,200 early on during her concert at DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven traced the Checotah, Okla., native's rapid rise since 2005: her "American Idol" win, the release of her record-setting debut album Some Hearts, the seven No. 1 singles, the slew of awards, the magazine covers she has graced, even her "Oprah Winfrey Show" appearance.

The video's purpose was to pad the show during a costume change and was probably meant to portray the singer's fairy tale, princess-like transformation. But the actual effect was more like tacky self-aggrandizement. It was one of several bad notes in the staging of a concert that, musically at least, was pitch perfect.

As you would expect from an "Idol" winner, Underwood is a powerhouse vocalist, and she showed off her instrument with great success throughout her 90-minute performance. Backed by an ace, energetic eight-piece band, she deftly tackled a number of styles, from upbeat honky tonkers like "The More Boys I Meet" to sophisticated torch songs like "Jesus, Take the Wheel." At one point she delivered an incongruous, note-for-note cover of Guns 'N' Roses "Paradise City" that gave Axl Rose a run for his money.

Though the talent is clearly there, Sunday night's performance proved that Underwood has not had time in three very hectic years to develop the stagecraft necessary to completely pull off a big, ambitious show like this. Her between song banter, for instance, while possessive of a certain aw-shucks charm, was horribly strained at times, as when she brought a 9-year-old Collierville girl on stage to help sing her hit "All-American Girl," and peppered the poor child with too many questions.

At other times Underwood seemed lost as she wandered the huge, glitzy stage, which included a runway that jutted out in the audience, a satellite stage where Underwood awkwardly strummed a clearly-not-plugged-in acoustic guitar for a couple of numbers, and a catwalk behind the band from which Underwood occasionally popped up and down.

The strangest occurrence came at what I'm still not quite sure was the end of the show. Underwood and band nailed a high-octane version of her song "Get Out of This Town" and then abruptly stopped and left the stage. The audience stood around awkwardly not sure if this was just a break or if they should be begging for their obligatory encore. Eventually, everyone returned to the stage, and by the time Underwood delivered a knockout "Before He Cheats" for the finale, the gaffe had been almost forgotten.

As the opening act, the vocal quartet Little Big Town relied on its unbelievably tight and intricate vocal arrangements to provide the flash in their set of harmony-rich country-ish rock.

Alright, razorbacker.... why have you been holding out on us??? (Or am I just the last one to know? Highly likely! lol) eta: now I see that BuckeyeAddict did say something awhile ago... oops!

Carrie Underwood and Travis Stork Couple Up

Country crooner Carrie Underwood and former Bachelor Travis Stork are still going strong!

The couple cozied up at Parc restaurant in Philadelphia on Oct. 20. “They came in around 8 p.m.,” an insider tells Life & Style. Carrie, a vegetarian, began with the ravioli and the beet salad and then had an omelet for her entrée. “They ordered a bottle of Malbec and two bottles of Evian water,” says the insider. “There was definitely some hand-holding and petting. They even toasted with their wine.”

Carrie, 25, and Travis, 36, broke away from each other to join in on a celebration at a nearby table, though. “There was another customer who was celebrating her birthday,” says the insider, “and Carrie joined in and sang ‘Happy Birthday!’”

Earlier this month, Travis received an all-access pass and accompanied Carrie during her “Carnival Ride” tour.
    Last edited by Broadway; 10-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3224701;
    Alright, razorbacker.... why have you been holding out on us??? (Or am I just the last one to know? Highly likely! lol) eta: now I see that BuckeyeAddict did say something awhile ago... oops!

Carrie Underwood and Travis Stork Couple Up

Country crooner Carrie Underwood and former Bachelor Travis Stork are still going strong!

The couple cozied up at Parc restaurant in Philadelphia on Oct. 20. “They came in around 8 p.m.,” an insider tells Life & Style. Carrie, a vegetarian, began with the ravioli and the beet salad and then had an omelet for her entrée. “They ordered a bottle of Malbec and two bottles of Evian water,” says the insider. “There was definitely some hand-holding and petting. They even toasted with their wine.”

Carrie, 25, and Travis, 36, broke away from each other to join in on a celebration at a nearby table, though. “There was another customer who was celebrating her birthday,” says the insider, “and Carrie joined in and sang ‘Happy Birthday!’”

Earlier this month, Travis received an all-access pass and accompanied Carrie during her “Carnival Ride” tour.

I can tell you that this has been rumored for quite a while now, but I usually stay away from her personal/dating life. It leads to lots of National Enquirer type stuff.

But, I will tell you that when she was in Denver for the concert to honor the Medal of Honor awardees, she was interviewed on local radio. They asked her if she spends much time in Colorado. She said she has a friend that has a house in one of the ski resort towns (I can't remember exactly what town she said), & that she stays there some times. But as co-incidence would have it, this guy just happens to have a house there.

Yes, that's the review I was talking about. I got the idea that he didn't like her music or something. I don't think his complaints ring true.

At the ASU campus? If so I've been in that building many times. Did shows there twice a year for a long time. I like that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3224889;
    Yes, that's the review I was talking about. I got the idea that he didn't like her music or something. I don't think his complaints ring true.

At the ASU campus? If so I've been in that building many times. Did shows there twice a year for a long time. I like that place.
    Here is a funny story & represents my luck. Keep in mind now that I live in Jonesboro.

Earlier this year, when the Keith Urban/ Carrie tour was announced, the closest they were coming to me was Bossier City La.. To get there I have to drive 2 hrs.to Little Rock & 4 hrs. further South. So, I buy tickets, attend the concert, come back home & the very next day, they announce that Carrie will be headlining a tour & Josh Turner will open for her. And they will stopping in ....you guessed it Little Rock.

So, I dutifully buy tickets, afterall it is Carries first headlining opportunity. So the day of the show arrives, I drive the 2 hrs. to Little Rock & back home the same day. And the very next week, there is an announcement of an extension to the tour with Little Big Town opening 54 shows for her, and yep they will be in Jonesboro, on the campus of ASU, a mere two miles from my house. So, I figure if I buy thickets to that one, the next obvious stop will be my backyard. I'm still waiting for the announcement.

Stories coming out of Nashville this morning...Carrie sold 18,000 seats for her homecoming performance tonight in Tulsa. That crowd is going to be crazy & I'm sure she will blow them out of their seats.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Any news on your backyard show yet?

Funny story! Isn't that the way it goes?

FORT Regular

Razor, be sure to invite us all when Carrie sets a backyard concert date. I'm only about 4 hours from you and can bring some BBQ.

+ Reply to Thread