+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

Country Universe has not always been kind to Carrie. But, check out the review for Just A Dream. I have a feeling that this song is going to do major business on the awards circuit in 2009.

Review: Carrie Underwood, “Just a Dream” Country Universe

Review: Carrie Underwood, “Just a Dream”

The music Carrie Underwood has released since her stunningly successful debut album has been an interesting contrast between commercial music recorded with a clear eye for radio and compelling cover songs recorded for charity. While Underwood has maintained her winning streak at country radio with a trio of #1 hits from her sophomore set, those singles didn’t showcase her talent at delivering truly great material the way that her covers of “I’ll Stand By You” and “Praying For Time” did.

“Just a Dream”, the new single from Carnival Ride, illustrates just how bone-chillingly good a vocalist she is when the material is on level with her talent. It’s a powerful story song about a young widow attending the funeral of her husband, a fallen soldier. Underwood’s vocal is masterful, effective at communicating all of the conflicting emotions, ranging from anger and desperation to distance and denial.

That’s a difficult thing to do, communicating personal feeling while singing in the third person, and Underwood does it as well enough here to be mentioned in the same breath as Reba McEntire. After a year of good songs that Underwood was able to turn into great records with her vocal talents, it’s no surprise that when given a great song, it’s one of the year’s best singles.

Written by Hillary Lindsey, Steve McEwan & Gordie Sampson
    Grade: A
    Listen: Just a Dream
    Buy: Just a Dream

Here is yet another honor coming Carrie’s way.

Clint Eastwood to appear at Medal of Honor event - Denver Business Journal:

Clint Eastwood to appear at Medal of Honor event

Actor-director Clint Eastwood will be honored Sept. 19 when the Congressional Medal of Honor Society holds its national convention in Denver.

The Oscar winner will be presented with the Bob Hope Award for Excellence in Entertainment on Sept. 19 at the society's annual Patriot Award Gala. NBC News anchor Brian Williams will be the master of ceremonies for the event.

"This award is presented to Americans who have favorably portrayed the United States military, either in film or literature, and who have a distinguished themselves in the entertainment world," the society said in a statement Wednesday.

Eastwood in 2006 released a pair of films about the battle for Iwo Jima in World War II, "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima," depicting the conflict from the American and Japanese perspectives.

In the 1986 film "Heartbreak Ridge," which he directed, Eastwood portrayed a troubled Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Society's convention, which is held each year in a different city, is scheduled for Denver on Sept. 16-20 at the Sheraton Hotel downtown.

The convention also will feature a concert by country star Carrie Underwood and a golf tournament on the 19th featuring Medal of Honor recipients, said spokesman Marty Erzinger,

For more information on the event, visit Medal of Honor Convention 2008 - Denver, Colorado.

According to the society, there are 103 living Medal of Honor recipients, at least five of whom have Colorado ties. The award, the nation's highest honor for valor in combat, has been presented to 3,448 people since its inception in 1862.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3120753;
    “Just a Dream”, the new single from Carnival Ride, illustrates just how bone-chillingly good a vocalist she is when the material is on level with her talent. It’s a powerful story song about a young widow attending the funeral of her husband, a fallen soldier. Underwood’s vocal is masterful, effective at communicating all of the conflicting emotions, ranging from anger and desperation to distance and denial.

That’s a difficult thing to do, communicating personal feeling while singing in the third person, and Underwood does it as well enough here to be mentioned in the same breath as Reba McEntire. After a year of good songs that Underwood was able to turn into great records with her vocal talents, it’s no surprise that when given a great song, it’s one of the year’s best singles.
    That is an awesome review for Carrie. Sad to say though... Just A Dream is one Carrie Underwood song I don't like, simply because it's so heavy story-wise and to listen to. I always skip over it - listening to it makes me (appropriately!) depressed.. so I just wonder how well it'll do and stay on the charts.
    2003-2008.

It seems like Carrie can’t escape the paparazzi even on family vacation.

Anybody remember Lindsay. She & Carrie have remained close & Lindsay went to the beach with Carrie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by janyoung101;3125612;
    Who's Lindsay? Was she another contestant on American Idol?
    She was on Idol the same year as Carrie. They were roommates & have remained friends.

Quote Originally Posted by janyoung101;3125612;
    Who's Lindsay? Was she another contestant on American Idol?
    Lindsey Cardinale.
    American Idol: Lindsey Cardinale

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I loved Lindsey and it still makes me sad that she didn't do better...

Carrie looks hot! I first saw those pictures on TMZ on TV...they were talking about her tattoo....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3126160;
    Carrie looks hot! I first saw those pictures on TMZ on TV...they were talking about her tattoo....
    Yes she does. What tattoo?
    ETA Never mind, I remember the tattoo story now. The cat outline she got with her sisters when she won Idol.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 07-12-2008 at 06:57 PM.

The photos below were taken by a friend of mine on the night Carrie was admitted into the Grand Ole Opry. The folks in the picture showed up from all over the country just for the opportunity to share the night with her & she was kind enough to come out before the show to take photos with the group. Note the little girl in front. That is my friends daughter, her name…..Carrie Marie….yep he named her after Ms. Underwood.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Sweet pics, thanks razor!

+ Reply to Thread