+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 423 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 4227
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

  1. #281
    FORT Fogey BubbleBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,569
    Well that's the thing to me. The fact of the matter is, it's not just a singing competiton, no matter what the judges say. You've got to have stage presence, a fun personality, the "it" factor, a look, and a good voice. To me, that is a true star. That being said, I hope Carrie gets it, because she's my favorite and her popularity is slowly falling.
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

  2. #282
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    But you can teach someone how to perform. Although she may not be liked by all... a case in point is Shania Twain. When she first hit it big, she did not tour for YEARS because she apparently had absolutely no stage presence and her voice was weak when she moved around. She worked on that and she now has the performance skills to match the strong voice.

    Some people on this show are performers with weak singing skills. I'd rather take Carrie's incredibly strong voice and weak performing skills any day. After all, this is a singing competition.
    If this really was a singing competition, American Idol would be a radio show.

    The fact that they're in front of a live audience and not singing from behind a screen means that the contestants need to be performers.

    Yes, you can teach someone how to perform, but the winner becomes the American Idol overnight. Literally, that night. They have interviews on every show for the following weeks and performances too. You need to have more than a pretty voice. And that "it" factor Simon claims Carrie has, I just don't see.

  3. #283
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    76
    I think if it was the first or second season, Carrie would be a bit more ok with the fans.

    I distinctly remember the words "we are looking for the next recording artist" in the first two seasons from the judges, but that has disappeared for seasons 3 and 4.

    Now judges are looking more into performance and singing talent and taking whomever has the best average of the two.

    The question is, does Carrie's singing talent outbalance her stage presence (or lack of)?

    Each year, idols are competing not just with each other, but with the frontrunners of the past. We had a VERY strong performer win last year. Is that making the voting public's stage presence standards higher?

    Ahh I just love throwing these burning questions out. ^_^

  4. #284
    FORT Fanatic alyourpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Not going to say anything, I am just going to post these two pictures and have you decide......



    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

    wow, that's funny

  5. #285
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Boohoo102
    If this really was a singing competition, American Idol would be a radio show.

    The fact that they're in front of a live audience and not singing from behind a screen means that the contestants need to be performers.

    Yes, you can teach someone how to perform, but the winner becomes the American Idol overnight. Literally, that night. They have interviews on every show for the following weeks and performances too. You need to have more than a pretty voice. And that "it" factor Simon claims Carrie has, I just don't see.
    Visions of Reuben doing nothing but standing on the staging, weaving back and forth, come to mind.

    Reuben was NOT a performer. He stood there and just sang. He sang the same way every single week. The. same. exact. way.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  6. #286
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    A performance does mean that at least you should look animated, though, and not like someone just wound you up and pushed you on stage.


    You also shouldn't sing a sad or bitter or longing line and then flash a brilliant smile. Too much cognitive dissonance. I think maybe someone just needs to explain to Carrie that "showing personality" doesn't mean just smiliing, but expressing and phrasing lyrics in such a way that it's clear you know what they mean and that that meaning is emerging from your own heart as you sing them.

    I want someone to explain this to her because I'm among those who think that she has a very beautiful, accomplished style of singing otherwise.

  7. #287
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Visions of Reuben doing nothing but standing on the staging, weaving back and forth, come to mind.

    Reuben was NOT a performer. He stood there and just sang. He sang the same way every single week. The. same. exact. way.
    He phrased lyrics in such a way that you absolutely felt them along with him, in my opinion. ... I'm not looking for people charging around the stage. I'm looking for people who make me *feel* a song. ... That's a key part of performing that I think Carrie is currently missing also.

  8. #288
    from sky to fire fireflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Visions of Reuben doing nothing but standing on the staging, weaving back and forth, come to mind.

    Reuben was NOT a performer. He stood there and just sang. He sang the same way every single week. The. same. exact. way.
    I'm part of the general public who never watched Reuben's AI. I know him only from headshots I've seen later. But I'm assuming he wasn't much because he sure doesn't seem to have been able to use AI as a platform to become a recording star, has he? I've never heard a song sung by him aired on the radio.

    I'm thinking if Reuben was true Idol material, I would've heard him on the radio or seen him in a music video by now.

    I think the person who wins Idol should be the whole package -- singer, performer. Especially since singers these days HAVE to tour to stay competitive in the market.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 04-04-2005 at 08:54 AM.

  9. #289
    SkinLover.WildLover. BlondeHottie69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Age
    25
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by hikaristar
    Now judges are looking more into performance and singing talent and taking whomever has the best average of the two.

    Each year, idols are competing not just with each other, but with the frontrunners of the past. We had a VERY strong performer win last year. Is that making the voting public's stage presence standards higher?

    Ahh I just love throwing these burning questions out. ^_^
    You mention a strong performer from last year. Who would that be. No one had sold a million records. Diana travels the world singing EMOTIONAL and Fantasia hasn't left her room. I haven't seen her anywhere besides BET and then AI will try to help her. I read that she will be on this weeks show.

    You say that carrie doesn't have what the judges are looking for. The judges have told her that "She would win & sell the most records." "She is the one to beat"


  10. #290
    SkinLover.WildLover. BlondeHottie69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Age
    25
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBunny
    Well that's the thing to me. The fact of the matter is, it's not just a singing competiton, no matter what the judges say. You've got to have stage presence, a fun personality, the "it" factor, a look, and a good voice. To me, that is a true star. That being said, I hope Carrie gets it, because she's my favorite and her popularity is slowly falling.

    How do we know that her popularity is falling? The judges still brag about her. Every song she sangs get downloaded more from the internet then any other.

    I would love to see the info showing she is falling.


+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.