+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

FORT Regular

Re: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2848210;
    With all the awards she has won during the past 3 years, I have to believe that the Opry membership is the cherry on the sundae. The Opry doesnít give these memberships out to just anyone. Below is a list of Members, while reading through it, just picture the list of great artists that arenít there. Faith Hill, LeAnnn Rimes, The Judds, Shania Twain, Rascal Flatts, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kenny Chesney, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, George StraitÖ
    What a surprising list of names! Why haven't they been invited into the Opry?

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by harleychick;2857262;
    That struck me too. George Strait not a member? That's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by harleychick;2857262;
    Many times an artist is invited but declines because they just don't want to commit to playing the Opry as often as a member is supposed to. That's one of the reasons that someone like Mel Tillis just got in, even though he is well into his 70's, he never wanted to put the time in to be a part of it. Other times an inventation isn't offered due to the image portrayed by the artist. Gotta believe that is where Willie & Waylon & even Johnny Cash fit in.

I also have the opinion that George Strait isn't a member because he is one of the one's that just won't play the Opry very often. CMA Music Fest in June is a weeks worth of concerts to say thank you to the fans for all their support during the previous year. George Strait has never, not once,appeared during this week. He seems to want to tour a couple of months a year, record a new albuim every now & then, & after that stay right on his ranch in Texas. I like his music just fine, but he strikes me as extremely arrogant & someone that believes he is "Entitled" while other aren't.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I kind of figured that was the case for Waylon, Willie and Johnny. I just never would have guessed that George was not a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2859521;
    I kind of figured that was the case for Waylon, Willie and Johnny. I just never would have guessed that George was not a member.
    One of the big reasons some of these folks don't want to be a member is the requirement that they play a certain amout of dates per year & at the same time promote the Opry as best they can. Just consider the fact that an appearance on the Opry Stage pays the artist somewhere around $300. And take into account that at this moment Carrie is in the vicinity of $200 grand & up per night. Regardless of the prestige of membership, that's a big discrepancy in money. But, most of the folks would die for the opportunity, & Carrie is just beside herself with joy. By the way, I called the Opry box office once on the day of announcement to get tickets for one of her appearances & was told that it's a good thing I called when I did, because she always sells out the Opry & does so quicker than anyone else.

Here is a really nice write up about Carrie & her 25th Birthday spent bowling with the band. She discusses dating, American Idol boot camp, & the way fans treat her family. One of the better interviews I have seen.

TheSpec.com - Entertainment - Oklahoma wholesomeness

Oklahoma wholesomeness

'Idol' Underwood handles stardom with confidence
    March 22, 2008 Graham Rockingham
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Mar 22, 2008)
    So how does the All-American Girl celebrate her 25th birthday?
    This isn't a trick question, no riddle or pun involved. It's just something that's been on my mind ever since I learned that Carrie Underwood had recently celebrated 25 years of Oklahoma wholesomeness.
    You figure now that she's won a couple of Grammys, sold 11 million records worldwide and got herself into The Grand Ole Opry, she might want to let all that prairie-straw Pantene hair down and blow off some steam.
    So when I reached the American Idol winner on the phone this week in Bethlehem, Pa., it was the first thing that gurgled out of my mouth after trading the obligatory "hey-how-are- yous."
    Well, it turns out that it's not so easy to celebrate your birthday when you're on tour like Underwood who performs tonight here at Copps Coliseum. Even the time before sound checks is taken up talking to people like me, which is what she was doing this particular Tuesday afternoon in Bethlehem.
    Underwood's birthday was on March 10, in between a March 9 show in Denver, Colo., and another on March 11 in San Jose, Calif.
    "So we flew into San Jose early and we all went bowling, had pizza and hung out," Underwood said about her birthday celebration. "It was mainly a day off for the crew and the band. So we invited everyone who wanted to come and we all went bowling. It was league night on one half of the alley and there was a door you walked through and that was the cool fun private place. Nobody could see us."
    Bowling. Yup. On a league night. This girl knows how to throw a party. Pizza, too. Vegetarian, of course. No mention of beer. What about the cake? Was there any birthday cake, Carrie?
    "Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cake," she says. You can almost hear the lips smacking on the other end of the phone. I've never heard of Cold Stone Creamery, but it sure sounds good. (A quick peek at their website shows 1,000 locations in the U.S., but none in Canada. The cakes look yummy, kind of high-end Dairy Queen.)
    Carrie, by the way, is a passable bowler -- "Not good, but I'm not really bad either."
    Despite all that birthday fun at the San Jose bowling lanes, Underwood admitted to feeling bad that she wasn't able to spend the day with friends and family back home in Checotah, Okla.
    "That was the toughest thing," she said. "Normally 25 would be kind of a big birthday. That was a little difficult, but they (family and friends) were calling and texting all day. It is what it is."
    It's life on the road for the biggest selling female country singer, three years running. Underwood has a house in Nashville but she's rarely there. She spends most of the time on her tour bus with her little terrier, Ace.
    Her love of animals is well documented. She's twice been named Sexiest Vegetarian Of The Year by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Growing up on a cattle ranch apparently made her think of all those steers as friends rather than steaks.
    Three years ago, while competing on American Idol, we heard a lot about Blondie, her Cocker Spaniel. Blondie "passed away about two years ago," she says. Now she's got Ace.
    Underwood is a tad embarrassed over Ace's size. He's only about 10 pounds, the sort of dog you could carry around in a handbag which, she says, she never does.
    "He's a little dog and I've never considered myself a little dog person," she explains. "I knew some people who gave him away because he was a bit of a problem dog, but we hit it off great and I became a small dog person.
    "He hangs out with us on the bus. He goes with us in the hotels. He flies with me. He goes everywhere with me."
    Underwood doesn't mention whether Ace accompanies her on dates. She does confide that, despite what the gossip sheets say, the dates are few and far between.
    Media reports originally had her hooked up with fellow Idolist Anthony Federov. Underwood apparently was caught mouthing the words "I love you" as he was being booted off the show. Then it was supposedly Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (how could he have chosen Jessica Simpson over our All-American Girl?), and, finally, Chase Crawford, star of TV's Gossip Girl (some irony there, no?).
    Underwood handles questions about each relationship with aplomb.
    "Anthony -- we were friends and that was it," she says dismissively.
    "Tony and I -- we became really good friends." Tantalizing emphasis is placed on the word "really."
    "Chase and I -- we kind of tried to date but it really didn't work out."
    I don't have the guts to ask her to further define "tried to date," but I do ask if there have been others.
    "There's been a lot of other people I've heard myself connected with who I've met for, like, five minutes. That's just really weird and it makes actual dating a lot more difficult. No, nothing at the moment. I'm single and I don't think I'm looking just because it's very difficult. But if the right person came along, it's not like I wouldn't try.
    "It's just ... I don't know ... it's difficult."
    OK, we get the drift. It's tough being a star. But it still beats not being in the limelight at all.
    "All the good stuff really, really outweighs the negatives," she explains, choosing her words carefully. "There are a few negatives, though ... When people go sit outside my parents house or try to get my sisters to do stuff and try to use other people to get to me and go annoy my 80-year-old grandfather .... It almost gets a little creepy at times, the lengths that a few people will go to, but that's like 0.5 per cent of the population. Everybody else is so cool. It's been such a good experience, the fans are great. It's just that little bitty bit part that makes me worry for my family's safety."
    Her current hit is aptly titled All- American Girl, but the way she's talking about these gawkers who pester her family back in Checotah makes me think about an earlier hit. It's the one where she takes a Louisville Slugger to the headlights of the truck belonging to an adulterous boyfriend. You probably know it. It's called Before He Cheats.
    You're not the kind of person who would do something like that, are you Carrie?
    "I might feel that way, but I've never acted on it," she says. "I was really worried when I first heard the song. I thought, 'it's a great song, but is it right for me, who's also the singer of Jesus, Take The Wheel?' So I was kind of worried that people might think I am that kind of person and I'm not at all."
    Well, she's got me convinced. I'm even starting to wonder about all those American Idol cynics who say the show launches all these unprepared, undeserving kids into stardom too early. They say it's better to pay one's dues, use the smoky bar circuit as a stepping stone to stardom.
    "Anybody who would say that has no idea what it was like to go through American Idol," she says. "It was equally as difficult as playing in the smoky honky tonks and things like that. Nobody knows except for the people that were on it. It was boot camp.
    "People immediately start digging into your personal life. Nobody does that when you're playing in a bar. Nobody cares who your mom or dad is or what they did. Or where you worked or who you dated before. Immediately, you go from being a completely normal person to everyone knowing everything and feeling like they know you. And it's do-or-die every single week. Somebody gets to tell you if you're bad. Somebody gets to scrutinize your every outfit, hairdo, makeup, your song choice, how you did on it.
    "Nobody has to go through that except for those people who are on the Idol shows. Anyone who would say that I bypassed something is crazy."
    Judging by the way Underwood has learned to handle herself, American Idol boot camp has provided a very good school of stardom, at least for this All-American Girl.

Carrie gets more stuff for her walls & trophy cases.

CMT : News : Carrie Underwood, Sugarland Strike New Gold

Carrie Underwood, Sugarland Strike New Gold

Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Big & Rich and the Wreckers have each scored gold singles for more than 500,000 digital downloads, according to the latest report from the RIAA. Underwood was awarded two certifications -- for "So Small" and "Wasted." Other gold certifications went to Sugarland's "Stay," Big & Rich's "Lost in This Moment" and the Wreckers' "Leave the Pieces." As previously reported, three country-related albums recently received multi-platinum certifications -- Miley Cyrus' Meet Miley Cyrus: Hannah Montana 2 (for shipments of 3 million copies), Underwood's Some Hearts (for shipments of 7 million) and The Very Best of the Eagles (5 million). Reba McEntire's Love Revival, a new compilation marketed for Valentine's Day, received gold certification for shipments of 500,000 units.

And as a bit of an aside, All American Girl had a good week as well: Digital sales for AAG jumped 17% this week to 36,351. Total sales are approaching 350K (343,979 to be exact). With AAG's pace, I think that it is very likely to reach Gold.

FOXNews.com - Report: Carrie Underwood, Chace Crawford No Longer Dating - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Report: Carrie Underwood, Chace Crawford No Longer Dating
    Thursday, March 27, 2008

Carrie Underwood and Chace Crawford have split, sources told Usmagazine.com.

The "American Idol" winner, 25, and the "Gossip Girl" star, 22, had been dating since last July, but did not go public with their romance until October.

Underwood spent Thanksgiving at his parents' home in Dallas and part of her Christmas break with his relatives, Usmagazine.com reports.

An insider told Us Weekly in December, "His parents are fond of her ... they believe 'Carrie Crawford' would be a great addition to the family!"

"She's a classy girl," Crawford told Us in October.

Rumors linking Crawford to buddy JC Chasez sparked Chasez to tell Kiss-FM 104.7 Wednesday, "For the record, we're both straight. We're not dating."

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2728413;
    The night Carrie sang How Great Thou Art at the Grand Ol Opry, she was asked to stay after the show & perform it again. At that time it was taped but no one really knew why. Now we do, itís going to be part of a special Opry show on GAC & it is to be included on a new album as well. This is one really special performance, if you have never seen it, Iíd suggest you watch this show.

Country On-Demand :: News Stories

Monday, December 17, 2007
    Grand Ole Opry releases gospel collection
    Sony/BMG Nashville will release a special compilation early next year in partnership with the Grand Ole Opry. The label, home to Carrie Underwood and Kenny Chesney, among others, announces "Grand Ole Opry Gospel: How Great Thou Art."
    I bought my copy of the How Great Thou Art CD today and I love it! It will be in the CD player for awhile.

Hmmm. Grand Ole Opry or root canal. Grand Ole Opry . . . root canal. Definitely root canal.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread