+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

I saw the video of Faith before I knew about the controversy and the first thing that came to my mind was that she was imitating Kanye West as a joke.

I missed the show but I'm proud of Carrie, I would have loved to see her acceptance speech.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I love Faith but I just thought it was in poor taste and she HAD to have known that the media/blogs/message boards/fan forums would have jumped on it with both feet and that it would end up making her look bad. It was too easy to misunderstand. Now if she had been backstage during the Q & A session and she had made some flip remark then that might have been OK because more people would have been able to see (and hear) that she was joking.

Being a smart*** does not suit Faith.......IMO she should just stick to being a gracious beautiful lady and singer and leave the "poor taste jokes" to someone else.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2131709;
    An award such as best vocalist is always tough to determine. Everyone has different opinions on what they like & what they don't. Martina certainly has one of, if not the best voice around. I will always remember her performance of Broken Wing at the CMA Musicfest this past summer & how it brought the house down. But, when it comes down to it, no one either male or female has had the year that Carrie has. She has shined such a spotlight on Country Music & always handled herself so professionaly, that I think the Industry realizes exactly what she has brought to the table. I don't know if any of you are aware of the fact or not, but it was reported just last week that record sales are down for the year across the board, with the only exception being Country Music. I think a big hunk of the success that the genre has experienced this year can be directly attributed to Carries arrival on the scene. I have heard so many people say they hated Country music before Carrie & now they listen to almost nothing else. I must say though that I had Carrie an easy winner for the Horizon Award & I also thought it would have been Martina as Female Vocalist, but Martina just couldn't compete this year in the marketplace. Someone like Faith Hill & her despicable reaction is going to do nothing to win her any fans & may in fact have lost her some.

I see what your saying, and while I agree that she has done a lot for the marketplace, which is why she totally deserved the horizon award, do you think that any of that stuff..the cd sales, the marketing, the success in other words should garner awards for the best vocals?? I personally think that if the award is for best vocals then it should go on vocals..whether you sell 1 or 1 million cd's. I do like carrie, I have her cd and think she is great...so I am not disrespecting her talent, I just dont think that she was the best for THAT award...
    Last edited by srs_in_Oregon; 11-07-2006 at 01:56 PM.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2132116;
    I see what your saying, and while I agree that she has done a lot for the marketplace, which is why she totally deserved the horizon award, do you think that any of that stuff..the cd sales, the marketing, the success in other words should garner awards for the best vocals?? I personally think that if the award is for best vocals then it should go on vocals..whether you sell 1 or 1 million cd's. I do like carrie, I have her cd and think she is great...so I am not disrespecting her talent, I just dont think that she was the best for THAT award...
    I completely agree. There's no question that Carrie is talented, but when you put her up against such veterans as Martina McBride, Faith Hill and Sara Evans I don't think she is necessarily better. It's a tough award, they are all incredibly talented. That said, I can see how Carrie deserved the Horizon, but not Female Vocalist.

jmo, but I can't believe how much everyone liked her 850K dress. To me it looked like girdle with a lampshade. It also made her look rather "boobless." I'm not convinced that a dress like that could have done anyone proud, but Carrie's flat chest sure didn't GitRDone. Dr. 90210 is always available if she wants to spend some of that dough she's made.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2132116;
    I can just say that if all these other factors didn't play into the nominations & awards process then this award, along with the best male vocalist, would become a year after year coronation of the past acheivements of one particular performer (that's what the hall of fame is for). There would be no room for someone that has had an especially great year to break out & be both nominated & crowned winner. So I guess what I'm saying is why even make someone new like Carrie available in the first place? And I would definitely put Carries vocal ability up with all these others. You only have to see her do these things live to see that she gives up nothing to anyone in the vocal arena. The whole gist of the arguement should boil down to the fact that she was both nominated & voted winner by her peers in the Country music industry, & not fans of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2132168;
    I can just say that if all these other factors didn't play into the nominations & awards process then this award, along with the best male vocalist, would become a year after year coronation of the past acheivements of one particular performer (that's what the hall of fame is for). There would be no room for someone that has had an especially great year to break out & be both nominated & crowned winner. So I guess what I'm saying is why even make someone new like Carrie available in the first place? And I would definitely put Carries vocal ability up with all these others. You only have to see her do these things live to see that she gives up nothing to anyone in the vocal arena. The whole gist of the arguement should boil down to the fact that she was both nominated & voted winner by her peers in the Country music industry, & not fans of the music.
    yes, but if the award does not go to vocals alone, then why have the award in the first place? why not just give award to "best female in country music" without the designation of it being "best female vocal"? right? I think that Carrie could eventually be there, but I dont think that she is there yet...They made Carrie available in the first place because she is up there, and I believe she is one of the best vocals in country music..I just dont think that she is the best...yet. I think if they are going to designate an award for "vocals" it should be based on vocals, otherwise dont make the designation...having the award go to the same people because they deserve it every year might make the others strive to be better, and I think anything that makes someone strive to be better is a good thing.

I tend to not always trust industry awards...a lot of times they dont go in fact to who they should go to, but rather to who those "voting" like the best..its all a popularity contest mostly...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2132161;
    jmo, but I can't believe how much everyone liked her 850K dress. To me it looked like girdle with a lampshade. It also made her look rather "boobless." I'm not convinced that a dress like that could have done anyone proud, but Carrie's flat chest sure didn't GitRDone. Dr. 90210 is always available if she wants to spend some of that dough she's made.
    I think the dress looked bad because she couldn't wear a bra with it. Carrie is not flat chested but sure looked it in that dress.
    I could have designed something far prettier and probably half the people here could have. The skirt looked like it rode up on her and by the time she got her awards, she had huge gathers that she didn't start out with. It would probably have looked lovely on the rack, but did nothing for Carrie and that's a shame. She is such a beautiful girl and needs pretty clothes to show it off. The long sleeved dress was very pretty and she looked cute in it.

FORT Fan
    Congratulations, Carrie! Let's hope they announce 4X Platinum soon.

I saw that video of Faith Hill, I don't think she was joking, she looked a little angry. She was all smiles until the winner was announced, I really believe she thought she was going to win. All the other women in that category had a calm "wait and hear" look on their faces.

Guess Faith Hill isn't as sweet as she appears to be.

+ Reply to Thread