+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 423 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

I really like this girl and am glad she is in the finals. It wouldnt seem right without her somehow, however the last 2 weeks she has dissapointed me and I hope she manages to shift out of this stage shes at just now, but with the fans she has Im sure she'll be around for a while.
    One thing that did slightly annoy me about her was her reaction to being told she was in the top 12 - it wasnt very humble, and the way she focused on Ryans misleading delivery seemed to appear that she had always expected to be in the top 12, which I just didnt like. Im sure many of the others knew they would go through too, but the fact that they at at least acted surprised and grateful was nice to see, whereas she just accepted the fact naturally.
    Mario Vazquez - Still My American Idol

FORT Fan
    She does not has to fake distress when she doesn't feel it.

Carrie already knew from Simon and the media that her fan base would not let her down (not at this stage anyway). She has gotten relatively good reviews for her work untill now. The last two weeks, Carrie was a little off, but...let's be honest. They were hardly BAD. Quite good vocally, really. Call it a mistake of bad song choices. (Carrie overreached one week and went TOO safe the next).

Carrie is my favourite to win this competition. It is not solely because of her vocals. But because of her image. The producers are looking for an American Idol that will be commercially successful. Carrie's good lucks and choir girl image will serve her well and appeal to a wide range of people.

We all love looking at beautiful women, regardless of their style (country, pop).

The girl rescues stray pets, guys! Thats a little hint.
    Last edited by felix; 03-12-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Somebody stop giving Carrie queludes!
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Lolls

Carrie has a great voice, and she makes it look SO easy - just get up there, stand and sing. That's not going to win this competition, though. Not with dynamic performers like Bo and Nadia to compare her to. I think she has a better voice than Nadia, but looks unengaged/disconnected on stage, especially in comparison.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I swear I could listen to her sing all night long. Her voice is great and I see her doing great things. She just needs someone to toss some happy pills in her orange juice at the breakfast table.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    Lolls

Carrie has a great voice, and she makes it look SO easy - just get up there, stand and sing. That's not going to win this competition, though. Not with dynamic performers like Bo and Nadia to compare her to. I think she has a better voice than Nadia, but looks unengaged/disconnected on stage, especially in comparison.
    Yes, I've been wondering what I was finding missing in Carrie, and I think this says it. ... To be a really memorable performer, you have to at least appear to be connecting, communicating with/to the audience, and she doesn't appear to be. She just appears -- to me, anyway -- to be singing really well. That doesn't seem to be quite enough. It's "performance intensity," I guess, that she seems to me to be mostly missing up to this point.

Remember Quentin Terrantino's remark to Diana that he felt a glass wall between her and the audience? I think that's what it is. She seems detached from the meaning of the song, and doesn't communicate the emotion the song is intended to deliver.

She has a really pretty voice and is a talented singer, but her lack of communication is what holds her back. I hope she gets it under control. I liked her a lot during the auditions, but I lose interest in her every week.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

I've been reading the comments on Carrie and I just hope that she is reading them, because for the most part they are good constructive criticisms of her. To quote Paula (ugh!) "I am a huge fan of her voice." But a pretty voice does not a country singer make. I am not an avid country music fan, but I can definately appreciated a good country singer, and I recognize that the best of them can REALLY TELL A STORY! I did not believe for one second that she's been cheated, mistreated, lied to, made blue, etc. So I really don't care if when she will be loved! She was up there smiling and tapping her leg as she sang that, completely detached from what she was singing.

I did thing she was pretty connected when she sang the Tiffany song the first week, but thereafter I feel like she has become too self conscious or something. She needs to lighten up off stage and let go on. But like Paula and I say, "I'm a huge fan..."

Stay Gold,
    Janine
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolls
    Remember Quentin Terrantino's remark to Diana that he felt a glass wall between her and the audience? I think that's what it is. She seems detached from the meaning of the song, and doesn't communicate the emotion the song is intended to deliver.

She has a really pretty voice and is a talented singer, but her lack of communication is what holds her back. I hope she gets it under control. I liked her a lot during the auditions, but I lose interest in her every week.

That is what I have been trying to put my finger on.

Also JFLo I totally agree. She lacks emotional involvement with her song.

I am confident she will make these changes as she becomes more confident in front of a live audience on a huge stage.

FORT Newbie
    I totally agree. I really do love her voice, I have from the start. But she hasn't shown that spark that makes me want to watch her performance, or really connect with it. By connecting with the song she connects with the audience and that's what she needs to keep pulling through. I hope she gets it b/c I would hate to see her go home b/c she is so talented and could go so far.

+ Reply to Thread