+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

i think it was about "legends" whatever that means. Several of those people who have been around for ten to forty or fifty years are legends. Carrie, who has been recording for a year, isn't one yet. The jury is still out on if she ever will be. Just as long as she remains popular and keeps recording, I don't much care about the legend thing.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Here's the new Carrie ad for Skechers...

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Just the other day I was in B&N & without looking to hard I saw Carrie on 4 separate covers. That isn't the first time either. I don't think it would be an overestimation to say that I know of about 20 - 25 covers just since the release of her album. And there are at least two more in the pipelines due to release in the next couple of months. And even without the covers, you can find multiple articles & photo shoots going back all the way to the time of her first winning. I would guess these are probably nearing 50 or more.
    That does it. I need to get out more! I have seen her on only one cover and that was last spring's Seventeen. They supposedly had an article and pictures of Carrie at her prom. They made it sound like a long article on the cover, but when I peeked inside it was only a short column and only one picture. I guess after that I just stopped looking.

At the grocery store all I see are those celebrity rags and I look away as much as possible for fear of turning into a pillar of salt or something. Yikes, those mags are nasty.

Thanks for the pictures and updates everyone. Keep in touch!

My how things can change in a year. Lot’s of nice photos if you click the link.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0107/606040317

Carrie Underwood makes leap from 'American Idol' to country's 'it' girl

By BRAD SCHMITT
    Staff Writer

Less than two years ago, Carrie Underwood, a young shy Oklahoma blonde, took her first-ever flight, a trip to Hollywood to audition for ''American Idol.''
    Just last month, Underwood flew three times in seven days, executing a superstar itinerary: to Las Vegas for the Academy of Country Music awards show, where she sang and won two ACMs; to Los Angeles to sing on the 2006 ''American Idol'' finale in front of an estimated TV audience of 40 million; and to Nashville to get ready for her opening slot on Kenny Chesney's stadium tour.
    Underwood, scared to get on that first flight in 2004, now sounds like a world-weary traveler.
    ''We flew to Vegas from New York and the flight was really delayed,'' she says, sarcasm creeping into her voice, ''and that was awesome, because I don't need my sleep or anything.''
    Underwood may be a bit agitated with the travel, but she couldn't be more upbeat about her life since winning ''Idol'' herself one year and 11 days ago.
    Since then, Underwood has sold more than 3 million albums on the power of a No. 1 single; she has won Billboard, Dove and ACM awards; and she scored a performance slot at the National Basketball Association All-Star Game halftime show and sang the national anthem before the National Football Conference championship game between the Seattle Seahawks and the Carolina Panthers.
    Underwood goes into this year's CMA Music Festival, which starts Thursday, as country's ''it'' girl.
    And she does so drawing a crowd virtually everywhere she goes . . . or even when she stays in. Underwood reports that several little girls occasionally ring the doorbell at her new Williamson County house.
    ''It's all great,'' she says, smiling.
    ''I'd much rather people be excited and pay attention and stuff like that than not know who I am or what I do. So it's all good. But you've got to keep that in mind all the time.''
    Underwood, 23, says it's still hard to get used to so much attention because she had such a humble, quiet life before ''Idol.''
    She was the third daughter of a paper mill worker and an elementary school teacher in rural Checotah, Okla., just next to a town Merle Haggard made famous in ''Okie From Muskogee.''
    Underwood started singing as a little girl in vacation Bible school at First Free Will Baptist Church in her town, which she describes as a ''real conservative, quiet church, where you'd listen a lot, sing a hymn and leave.''
    Underwood's only childhood conflict, as it were, would come from an occasional run-in with her mom at school when Mrs. Underwood was the substitute teacher for her class.
    ''I stuck my tongue out behind her back once,'' Underwood said. ''I got told on.''
    Music became fun for her when she met elementary and intermediate school teacher Cathy Cooper, who cast Underwood as Mother Nature singing to the animals in a fourth-grade production.
    From there, Underwood began singing in talent contests locally and regionally, and she so impressed one woman at a show that the woman told her wealthy Arkansas boyfriend that he had to get Underwood to Music Row.
    Underwood won't reveal the man's name or much about him, other than to say he had no music industry experience. But Underwood, at age 15, found herself with an artist development deal at Capitol Records, then home to Garth Brooks.
    The deal quickly went away when there was a change at the helm of Capitol, and Underwood went back to Oklahoma with her tail between her legs.
    ''Dream shattered,'' she said, then turned more pensive. ''I wasn't ready anyway.''
    Underwood did indeed shelve her singer dreams, instead enrolling at nearby Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., where she studied broadcast journalism and became part of a country music review show.
    In fall 2004, her friends encouraged her to go to the ''American Idol'' auditions, and her mom drove her and a friend to St. Louis.
    Underwood's adorable girl-next-door looks and kind disposition made her a natural for country music, but she stumbled a bit at first. Her first single, ''Inside Your Heaven,'' released immediately after her May 25, 2005, win, reached No. 1 on the all-genre Billboard Hot 100 chart but got little country radio play.
    Just a few months later, though, Underwood exploded at country radio with ''Jesus, Take the Wheel,'' No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart for six straight weeks and R&R's country airplay chart for five straight weeks. Underwood set a record for most weeks at No. 1 for a single from a new artist's debut album since those records were first kept in 1990.
    Underwood kept up her firsts when, in November, she made CMA awards show history by becoming the first artist with only one country single out to get a performance slot.
    Underwood went on to win several more awards, and she also went on to get involved in her first mini-controversy, at the CMT music awards in April.
    In the press room, Wynonna was asked her opinion of Underwood, and she said she thought Underwood was solid but went on to say lots of country singing these days is vanilla. Underwood was nearby behind a curtain and her eyes welled with tears, and they did again when Wynonna later, with Underwood next to her, apologized in front of reporters.
    The next night, Underwood's publicist, Jessie Schmidt, told reporters at Underwood's triple-platinum (3 million albums sold) party that the Wynonna comments stung.
    ''It hurt her feelings,'' Schmidt said. ''Had she been in a room by herself, she probably would've cried.''
    It wasn't the last time Underwood would show an emotional side.
    During last month's ACM awards show, she performed ''Jesus'' and her voice cracked afterward as she thanked the crowd for its rowdy response. Underwood then wiped away a tear.
    Backstage, reporters asked Underwood about her reaction.
    ''I'm a big baby. That happens quite a bit,'' she said. ''I just realized where I was and it made me a little teary-eyed.''
    Despite her success so far as a country artist, many fans and reporters still tie her closely to ''American Idol,'' and she got dozens of ''Idol'' questions on the ACM orange carpet and backstage.
    But Underwood says she doesn't mind because ''Idol'' is what brought her to a national stage. She said she feels it may have been her only way back to Nashville, because she feels the people representing her when she was 15 may have burned bridges on Music Row.
    Sometimes, though, the ''Idol'' connection can be a bit much, as it was when she was having lunch with her manager on Mother's Day.
    ''We were in some kind of deli and this woman comes up to me and says, 'My son and I were having a debate.' I figured right then she knew who I was and she was going to ask me for an autograph, so I had this big stupid grin on my face,'' Underwood said.
    ''And then she said, 'Are you (fifth season Southern 'Idol' contestant) Kellie Pickler?' And I said, 'What? Noooooo.' She was like, 'You're not?' and she really wouldn't believe me at all.
    ''And I said, 'Ma'am, it's Mother's Day and I promise to you on my mother that I'm not Kellie Pickler.' And I still don't think she believed me. That was a first.''
    Underwood laughs it off.
    ''If they think I'm Kellie, and they're happy about it, that's fine, I guess.''
    Then there are the more fun parts of fame.
    Underwood spent the better part of a day in Las Vegas last month trying on clothes for her back-to-back nights on the ACM awards show and the ''Idol'' finale. She needed four outfits for the ACMs (orange carpet, performance, one to wear in the seats and one for the after-show party) and five for the ''Idol'' appearance the next night (red carpet, three appearances and after-show party).
    ''We had about 50 dresses to try on. My room was a mess!'' she said.
    With the upcoming Kenny Chesney tour dates, CMA Music Festival and other TV and concert appearances, Underwood says she won't put any serious thought into her next album until October.
    Then she'll try to further develop her songwriting.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Great article razorbacker...I didn't know about that incident with Wynonna tho! Glad Wy apologized....publicly too!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks for the article, razor! Funny that the lady thought she was Kellie Pickler.

Wynonna has some nerve. Glad she apologized but still...! Carrie is far from vanilla and I think her record sales say that loud and clear.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Great article razorbacker...I didn't know about that incident with Wynonna tho! Glad Wy apologized....publicly too!
    The Wynonna situation was more than a little bizarre. I heard many radio interviews from people that were in the room & here is what I could piece together. Wy, was doing press interviews back stage at the CMT Video awards & she was asked what she thought about Carrie winning 2 awards. She said something along the lines that the girl sure can "sang", but the Industry needs a female to step up that isn't so vanilla. Well Carrie was out of visual range, but was in hearing distance & this really shook her up. So, Wy leaves the interview & Carrie comes on stage obviously shaken & during her press event, Wy comes back on stage, interupts Carries press questions to clarify what she meant. She said she didn't mean that Carrie was vanilla but the whole female artist contingent needed to step up. So in one sentence she removes the Carrie foot from her mouth & replaces it with the whole female contingent foot.

Everyone that was there said it was a most uncomfortable & regretable situation. For the next week, Wy was not only the scourge of the Nashville press & the Country Music Industry, but Country Radio across the nation took her to task for it.

This was on a night that should have been really a happy occasion for Carrie & Wy squashed it. All this from someone who's latest work has been co-hosting Nashville Star with Cowboy Troy for crying out loud.

So I guess if there is a high profile sporting event then Carrie is the National Anthem Singer of choice. NBA All Star Game, NFC Championship Game, Coca Cola 600, & Now the Baseball All Star Game. Go on with it Carrie.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...606040371/1121

Rolling into the CMA Music Festival

The good news: The public is invited to hang out with Carrie Underwood, Lonestar, "Nashville Star" winner Chris Young, Josh Gracin, Buddy Jewell, newcomer Jake Owen ("Yee Haw"), Jimmy Wayne, Michael Peterson, Bryan White, Linda Davis, Bobby Pinson, Brad Cotter, Catherine Britt, Hot Apple Pie, Blue County, Rhett Akins, Amy Dalley, Hometown News and Titan Albert Haynesworth at a bowling alley Monday.
    The bad news: The fundraiser, the unofficial kickoff to CMA Music Festival week, already is sold out.
    But if you know any music industry people, shmooze your way into the Hermitage Lanes, and your money goes to help Lonestar help St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Other Carrie Underwood news: She has been tapped to sing the anthem at the major-league baseball All-Star Game next month in Pittsburgh.

I don't think Wynonna should have said it while Carrie was nearby but she has the right to her opinion. I think of Carrie as very bland/boring myself but then I don't like her type of country music.

Wynona isn't "vanilla" that's for sure. Her antics have been well publicized for years.
    I agree that she has a right to her opinion but by saying it in a room full of people she made herself look like a jerk, I think.
    Hopefully Carrie will remain vanilla enough to keep her life in order and stay the sweet young woman that she has always seemed.

+ Reply to Thread