+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella View Post
    .....featuring one-hit wonders like Lynn Anderson and Donna Fargo.
    I would hardly call Lynn Anderson a one hit wonder.
    http://cypress.he.net/~lynn1/lynn17.html
    The success of "Rose Garden" was followed by a string of hits, including "You're My Man," "How Can I Unlove You," "Cry," "Keep Me In Mind," "What A Man My Man Is," "Rocky Top," (the State Song of Tennessee), "Under The Boardwalk," "You're Welcome To Tonight," with Gary Morris., and "Top Of The World," which won CMA Song of the Year. "Top of the World" was used extensively in the 1999 professional football season and in a television ad for NFL Special Products. To date Lynn has had eight #1 singles, 18 top-tens and over 50 top 40 releases. She has earned 16 gold albums and won virtually every award available to a female artist, including the American Music Award. Her records have sold in the millions world-wide.
    Donna Fargo had 2 hits crossover to the pop charts and placed about 12 more in the country Top Ten. She developed multiple sclerosis.
    http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/fargo_donna/bio.jhtml
    In the early '70s, Donna Fargo was an unusual country star for a couple of reasons. She was one of the few female country singers to write her own material, and one of the few
    country singers of any sort to cross over to the pop charts in a big way, which she did in 1972 with "The Happiest Girl in the Whole U.S.A." (number 11) and "Funny Face" (number five). She never made the pop Top 40 again, but placed over a dozen more singles in the country Top Ten in the '70s, most written by herself. As an artist, she was squarely in the mainstream, her slightly lisping voice delivering upbeat, sweetly produced homilies to romance, home, and America. She faded after developing multiple sclerosis in 1979, although she continued writing and performing. ~ Richie Unterberger, All Music Guide
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-01-2006 at 05:29 PM.

I was using the term "one hit wonder" a bit whimsically, but in truth, the only Lynn Anderson song I've ever been aware of is "Rose Garden." And "Happiest Girl" is the only Donna Fargo song I'm aware of. (They also include Jeannie C. Riley and Bobbie Gentry, both of whom really had only one really big hit.) I don't consider someone a music "legend" just because they may have had several songs that made the charts for a few weeks. I'd never put Anderson, Fargo, Gentry, and Riley in the same category as Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Brenda Lee, Dolly Parton, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, or even Barbara Mandrell. But I think there is a larger group of country music "legends" of the male persuasion.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella View Post
    I don't consider someone a music "legend" just because they may have had several songs that made the charts for a few weeks.
    I wouldn't call them a legend either, however they were very popular in the then called country/western field. I grew up in Nashville so maybe I was used to seeing them on tv and in the news all the time.

YEAH CARRIE! She has an endorsement deal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060601/en_tv_eo/19170

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    I wouldn't call them a legend either, however they were very popular in the then called country/western field. I grew up in Nashville so maybe I was used to seeing them on tv and in the news all the time.
    I doubt that many singers today will be popular as long as Lynn Anderson has. That woman has been around, singing for years and years.

I'm not sure exactly what a legend is, but I'm thinking that I haven't seen the makings of one on American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me View Post
    YEAH CARRIE! She has an endorsement deal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060601/en_tv_eo/19170

Enjoy!
    Actually Carrie signed this Sketchers deal just after she won the title last year. There have been ads in multiple magazines all year long. I think what you are seeing here is that they just re signed her for another year & have started to shoot the new ad campaign. I bet the second year is more lucrative for her than the first year was.

Just as an aside Tonight marks Carries first appearance on the Kenny Chesney Tour. Go get em Carrie.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Actually Carrie signed this Sketchers deal just after she won the title last year. There have been ads in multiple magazines all year long. I think what you are seeing here is that they just re signed her for another year & have started to shoot the new ad campaign. I bet the second year is more lucrative for her than the first year was.

Just as an aside Tonight marks Carries first appearance on the Kenny Chesney Tour. Go get em Carrie.
    OOPS, I didn't know she was already their spokesperson. I don't read magazines so that's why I missed it. TY Razor!

I remember seeing a tv commercial, last year, with Carrie sitting in a bedroom floor deciding which Skechers to wear. It was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I remember seeing a tv commercial, last year, with Carrie sitting in a bedroom floor deciding which Skechers to wear. It was cute.
    Double yikes! I never saw that commercial I must live in a cave and not have even realized it (until now). lMAO

Either that or I'm totally off the mark and it wasn't even Carrie.

+ Reply to Thread