+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    She is most definitely coming into her own, & her stage show from all reports is astounding. Including the Guns & Roses & Accoustic version of Inside You Heaven where she plays guitar.
    She's a very talented young lady.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    This guy's aunt is a moron. I know whenever I'm stuck in traffic, I take my foot off the brake pedal and ask God to control my car. One of these days, he could at least pick up the ticket for me.
    I guess we take our inspiration from wherever it may come. The writer apparantely saw his aunt as someone looking for some inspiration & guidance in her life & decided it might make a good song. You have decided to label her as an Idiot. I'll stick with the positive aspects, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that someone, having lost control of their vehicle, would be endangering not only their own life but others in vehicles nearby, taking their hands off the steering wheel and "asking God to take control". That, to me, is the definition of a moron. It's one thing to believe, and sure, it probably makes a good song, but in reality, it's a frickin' moronic idea to take your hands off the wheel during the loss of control in a vehicle. Thus, she's a moron.

The way I understand the song is that the driver lost control of the car on icy roads and instead of over-correcting the steering or whatever she gave the control over to Jesus. I guess maybe you have to have lived something when talking about control in order to understand. I always felt in complete control until our sons were both involved in a very serious accident and it wasn't until then that I can completely understand how little control we really have. That would be my 2 cents worth.

All this consternation and name-calling over a song about Jesus? Yikes.

I always looked at the song from an inspirational point of view. The person in the song isn't really at a wheel of an actual car. She's just at the end of her emotional rope and needs Jesus to help her hang on. That's all I read into the song. It's wonderfully uplifting.

Well, I'm certainly not disparaging the song itself. I'm sure it's uplifting and metaphorical. I'm only talking specifically about the guy's story about his aunt, and how stupid it was of her.

The fact that he found it to be a wonderful story, and uplifting enough to write a song based on the message, scares me just a little bit.

You can add another June concert to the monthly list I posted. This has just been announced.

http://www.98kqfc.com/concerts.php

The Big 98 KQFC
    Presents
    Carrie Underwood
    at the
    IDAHO CENTER
    Thursday, June 22
    Tickets $29.50 and $39.50
    On Sale Friday, June 2nd - 10am
    Reserved tickets will be available at all ICTickets and Ticketweb outlets or by calling 466-TIXX or Click here to buy them online
    Listen for your chance to win tickets before they go on sale! From Idaho's #1 Country Concert Station, The Big 98 KQFC!

Due to her appearances on the ACM awards show & the AI finale, Carrie saw a big bump in sales for this week. She remains @ #3 on the Country Charts & jumps from #22 back into the Top 10 on the Billboard Top 200. Not too bad after 28 weeks. She is getting really close to the 3 million mark in physical sales, probably 3 weeks from now.

Billboard 200
    #10 Some Hearts 64,754 (+84%) Total: 2,913,955

Also her single Don’t Forget To Remember Me continues to climb now sitting at #8 on the Country Charts & was the 2nd biggest gainer of the week jumping 4 spots from #12.

Quote Originally Posted by talldede View Post
    I agree with all but one point. Carrie lost to Sara Evans, who has been in the industry for close to 10 years and has paid her dues. She always loses out to Martina McBride, Faith Hill, etc. It was time for Sara. I just saw her live in Phoenix a few weeks ago and she is AMAZING. Great energy on stage, incredible voice. I agree, she didn't sound great last night, many had probs IMO (Rascal Flatts and Kelly Clarkson were NOT good). It has something to do with changing out equipment in such a fast turn around.
    Sara's performance just shows to go ya that even the top pros can be pitchy when they can't hear themselves or are having other tech problems. (I wish Paula, Randy, and Simon would quit making a federal case out of minor pitchiness when judging AI performances.)

As for country music spawning long-term careers, I kind of think that's the exception, not the rule. Way too often I see country tribute shows heralding "The Queens Of Country Music" and featuring one-hit wonders like Lynn Anderson and Donna Fargo. I think the country music industry chews up pretty young women with pretty voices and spits them out just as much as pop music does. The exceptions tend to be women like Dolly Parton and Shania Twain, who not only write a lot of their own songs but have a lot of business savvy (like Madonna in the pop world).

I did not watch Carrie on AI last year, but I am thrilled for her success. She is an asset to the genre, having sold over 2 millions CD's and counting ... .
    Counting quite a lot. She's nearing the 3 million mark.

From this week's Billboard 200 Albums Chart:
    10 - UNDERWOOD, CARRIE - SOME HEARTS - 64,754 (sold this week) - 35,180 (sold last week) - 2,913,955 (sold to date).
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

LOL, Razorback, I see you were reading the same chart!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    This guy's aunt is a moron. I know whenever I'm stuck in traffic, I take my foot off the brake pedal and ask God to control my car. One of these days, he could at least pick up the ticket for me.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 06-01-2006 at 04:47 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

+ Reply to Thread