+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Hey Illinois folks, Carrie & Phil Vassar are coming to the fair in Springfield.

http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/gstand/vassar.html

CARRIE UNDERWOOD
    WITH PHIL VASSAR
    Sunday, August 20 th, 8:00 p.m., Grandstand
    Tickets go on Sale May 6, 2006 at 10:00 a.m. at Ticketmaster.com

Carrie has a concert in Miami on the 4th. So check out the write up that she just got in the Palm Beach Post.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/co...xsvc=7&cxcat=2

The Carrie Underwood Phenomenon
    By Janis Fontaine
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, May 03, 2006
    A year ago, American Idol host Ryan Seacrest asked Carrie Underwood if she'd seen any stars around L.A. "No," the unpretentious country girl said, "it's been kinda cloudy."
    Underwood called that a "most embarrassing moment," but Thursday night at SunFest, she's the star and we're the stargazers
    Her sweet, naive attitude endeared the 23-year-old Oklahoma native to a lot of people and helped her win the title of American Idol '05. And while winning was an achievement, that was just the beginning of an extraordinary run.
    Underwood's debut album, Some Hearts, which was released in November, achieved Triple Platinum status faster than any other debut album by a female singer, and the first single, Jesus, Take the Wheel, held the No. 1 spot on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart for a solid, unprecedented six weeks. It easily outsold the albums of the other AI winners and contestants.
    But don't expect to see Underwood wiping away tears of joy.
    Never the weepy, heart-on-her-sleeve kind of girl that many expected, Underwood has been criticized for not showing more emotion, both on the show and in her vocals. But just because she doesn't gush doesn't mean she doesn't feel it. In the cover story in American Idol magazine, she said, "A lot of times, I think that people's emotions should remain within. You seem to have a lot more power and energy that way."
    That pragmatic attitude has served Underwood well. She knew a singing career was a long-shot, so she concentrated on school and graduated second in her high school class. She enrolled in Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., about an hour's drive from her home, where she studied journalism and communications. She left college shy just 12 credits to audition for Idol, but she'll graduate this month.
    It's just another milestone in a very hectic year. Underwood's 14-track debut album, Some Hearts, was recorded in Nashville between her other commitments, including the 41-city American Idol tour and endorsement deals for Hershey's and Skechers.
    In five months, more than three million copies of Some Hearts were sold. First week sales in excess of 314,000 made Some Hearts the highest debuting album in the country genre in the history of SoundScan, and in one week before the Christmas holiday the CD sold more than 400,000 copies, the equivalent of nearly 40 CDs every minute. The album finished out the year by becoming the best-selling country album by a female in 2005, and the fourth best-selling country album overall.
    Underwood's first single, Jesus, Take the Wheel, capitalized on her crossover appeal and made its mark on country, pop and gospel radio. The song, a long metaphor for turning your life over to God, was named the Country Recorded Song of the Year by the Gospel Music Association in April. The video won CMT's Music Awards for Breakthrough Video of the Year and Female Video of the Year and made Underwood the only artist to take home two CMT Music Awards last month. The song has been nominated by the Academy of Country Music for both Single and Song of the Year and has a good chance of winning when the show is broadcast on May 23 from Las Vegas.
    Family, faith and hard work are cornerstones of Underwood's upbringing and musical tastes, but she does take one major detour on Some Hearts with the song Before He Cheats, a dark ballad about a cheating boyfriend and the singer's revenge against his "pretty little souped-up 4-wheel drive." While he's in a bar showing "a bleach-blonde tramp... how to shoot a combo," she digs her keys into his paint job, smashes his headlights with a Louisville slugger, and carves her name into his leather seats. But it's not just revenge that motivates her: "I might have saved a little trouble for the next girl," she sings. "Cause the next time that he cheats... Oh, you know it won't be on me!"
    On her Web site, Underwood says, "I should have a disclaimer on (this song.) The song was so different from the others, I decided to sing it because I think that everyone has a 'mean streak.'... but I do not condone the destruction of anyone's property and I have never, at any time, keyed anyone's car!"
    The songs on Some Hearts capture Underwood's youth and inexperience. She may be wet behind the ears, but Underwood has proved that she's a force to be reckoned with, at least in country music. Other singers paid years of dues before realizing the kind of success Underwood has.
    But when 30 million people see you on TV, only three or four percent have to go buy your album for it to reach platinum status, and American Idol appeals to a broad demographic, transcending age, race, gender and musical style.
    "Everybody knows what's going on. Even if they don't watch it, they know what's happening," Underwood said in an interview with Katy Kroll for Billboard.com. "Hopefully I reached a new kind of audience and opened a few people's eyes to country music."
    Yes, Carrie, just a few.

I'm pleased to know that Carrie finished her college work. Her fame could be fleeting (doubt it) and she would need her education to land a good job. She has a lot of will power to do all that she has done this past year AND finish college.

Lex
    I agree Muduh. I like that even though she has all this fame now, she still places value on her education. Good for her.

"That pragmatic attitude has served Underwood well. She knew a singing career was a long-shot, so she concentrated on school and graduated second in her high school class. She enrolled in Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., about an hour's drive from her home, where she studied journalism and communications. She left college shy just 12 credits to audition for Idol, but she'll graduate this month."

Just another reason I'm so impressed witht his young lady!!! Congrats Carrie on your graduation!!!
    Do you think she will get a chance to walk with her class?..probably hard to work into her concert schedule but would that not be incredible!!! Her family must be so proud!!

Very complimentary things are being said about Carrie & Jesus Take the Wheel. If you click on the link below & go to the cmt website there is a slide show with some nice photos of the awards presentation & photos of the song writers.

http://www.cmt.com/news/articles/153...headlines=true

Underwood's "Jesus" Takes a Bow at No. 1 Party
    American Idol Winner and Songwriters Celebrate Their Hit Single
    By: Craig Shelburne
    With everybody still somewhat awestruck and overwhelmed at the song's success, Carrie Underwood and the three writers of "Jesus, Take the Wheel" gathered Tuesday afternoon (May 2) at the ASCAP lobby in Nashville during their No. 1 party.

"I had the easiest job in the world," Underwood told more than a hundred well-wishers. "For somebody to basically put a song like 'Jesus, Take the Wheel' in my lap and say, 'Go!' ... it's the luckiest thing for me ever. These people around me that I've met had the tough job. I just got to sing a wonderful song. I'm the luckiest person ever. Thank you guys for writing it, and thank you for letting me, of all people, have it. I appreciate it."

The writers of the song -- Brett James, Hillary Lindsey and Gordie Sampson -- were all quick to applaud Underwood's interpretation of the song which held the No. 1 position on Billboard's country airplay chart for six weeks.

"It's very rare that a record comes back and just blows your mind," James said. "That's what happened. It's blown my mind as well as all of America."

Lindsey noted, "I just wanted to say, 'Thank you, Carrie Underwood, for trying out for American Idol!'" After praising her vocal performance, Lindsey optimistically added, "I'm looking forward to more hits with Carrie."

Sampson concluded, "I'd also like to thank Carrie because, as songwriters, the best thing we could ask for is to have someone sing our song and sound like you wrote it when you sing it. We really, really appreciate that. Thank you."

Producer Mark Bright referred to Underwood as "an absolute blessing in my life." He took a spiritual approach to describe the experience of recording the song. "I definitely think there was a higher power involved," he said. "There's no question in my mind."

"I definitely think there was a higher power involved," he said. "There's no question in my mind"

I do too!! The stars are in alignment for Carrie and I love it!!!

July 31st cannot come soon enough for me so I can hear her live!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally View Post
    "That pragmatic attitude has served Underwood well. She knew a singing career was a long-shot, so she concentrated on school and graduated second in her high school class. She enrolled in Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., about an hour's drive from her home, where she studied journalism and communications. She left college shy just 12 credits to audition for Idol, but she'll graduate this month."

Just another reason I'm so impressed witht his young lady!!! Congrats Carrie on your graduation!!!
    Do you think she will get a chance to walk with her class?..probably hard to work into her concert schedule but would that not be incredible!!! Her family must be so proud!!
    Carrie doesn't have any concerts scheduled until next weekend when she has 3, all of which are in California. So in answer to your question from everything I have been reading she WILL be there to walk with her class today.

FORT Newbie
    Congrats Carrie on your graduation. She is definately a good role model. Going for her dreams and even with it in the bag, she doesn't let it go to her head and abandon her studies. Go Carrie!

Ah Yes!!! Carrie walked the walk yesterday. If you want to see some nice Cap & Gown graduation photos click the link below. Congrats Carrie! It’s truly amazing what you have accomplished in the past year.

http://newsok.com/more/photos/?gallery_id=1931

And the accompanying article. Weird that you have to register to read the article, but not see the photos?

http://newsok.com/article/1836950/?t...rtainment/main

By Sheila Stogsdill
    The Oklahoman

TAHLEQUAH - The reigning American Idol, Carrie Underwood, can now add college graduate to her resume .

Underwood was one of about 1,800 Northeastern State University graduates to receive their diplomas on Saturday. A mass communications major with an emphasis in journalism, Underwood graduated magna cum laude from the College of Liberal Arts.

The Checotah native, known to charm entertainment royalty with her unassuming and down-to-earth personality, was just another college student sitting in a sea of black graduation gowns.

“She (Underwood) wanted it that way,” said Nancy Garber, university spokeswoman.

Underwood declined all media interviews out of a desire to focus the spotlight on the other graduates, Garber said.

“She didn’t want anything to take away from her classmates’ ceremony,” Garber said.

After the procession ended, Underwood smoothed her straight blond tresses while adjusting her cap and tassel. She seemed to listen intently to the commencement address by Dr. Larry Williams, NSU president.

Williams challenged the graduates to “keep moving ahead” and “use their skills to make good things happen.”

Underwood clapped and cheered for graduates who were honored for their academic achievements and stood to honor graduates in the Armed Services.

Applause erupted when Underwood - the last graduate to receive a bachelor of arts degree - walked across the stage at Jack Dobbins Field House. She smiled and hugged Williams.

Underwood was named 2005 Oklahoman of the Year by Oklahoma Today magazine and won Female Video of the Year and Breakthrough Video of the Year at the 2006 CMT Awards.

+ Reply to Thread