+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

I knew Shania's worldwide sales were huge and haven't some of her CDs gone diamond in the US too? It is good to keep stats like that in mind when we rave about Breakaway's success or Some Hearts'. I think Eminem or 50 Cent had an album that sold almost a million copies its first week a year or so ago. As impressive as triple and quintuple platinum are, those awards leave a lot of room to go to catch up with the huge stars in the industry.

You mentioned Asia, and I am not sure who controls distribution there. I think it is considered separately from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicantica View Post
    Remember we are comparing Some Hearts with Thankful, not with Breakaway.
    Thank you for clearing that up! Carrie is doing a fantastic job and there is no reason to think she will continue just as Kelly has....

My cousin in Sweden loves country music.

I don't understand why Kelly can sell in Europe and other Idolers can't. That doesn't make sense.

Carrie would sell over there because she is a great person and singer. Her country music isn't about cheating and drinking, etc., so she should be able to satisfy European tastes.

I didn't know where else to put this especially since it would take so long to find the thread for Kelly Clarkson, but it was announced today that Kelly would also be on this show & doing a song with Rascal Flatts. So it seems as though CBS is trying to pull some of the audience away from FOX that night by having 2 of the most popular Idols on the same show against the Idol finale. Smart Move??

http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1528...questid=431939

Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, Rascal Flatts, Sugarland and Carrie Underwood have been announced as performers on the Academy of Country Music Awards on May 23 in Las Vegas. Presenters include Dr. Phil and Robin McGraw and Cold Case actor Kathryn Morris. More performers will be announced in the coming weeks. Reba McEntire will host the ceremony, which will air live from the MGM Grand on CBS.

FORT Fanatic
    i know that carrie's out in the philippines cause i saw her cd at one of the local cd shop at the mall and heard her on the radio there also when i went out there for vacation. but again, country music is HUGE in philippines also.

i guess by having a Texapino helps - country artist Neal McCoy is half-Filipino. and local filpino stations here in hawaii plays lots of old country music like patsy, willie, hank, merle, loretta, george, etc (my dad tuned into those stations when he was still livin'). and my co-worker tunes into those stations when we commute to work...there i am in the backseat either humming along when country songs come on or blasting my mp3 player up most of the times.

i guess this is one of the reasons why i can appreciate country music out here in the middle of the ocean. oh, another reason, hawaiian music helped out country music by introducing steel guitar to the south.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

I know it’s a little late, especially since the show is today, but if you’re in N. Florida you can still make it in time. And if you do go can you report back & tell me how it was? Thanks

http://www.suwanneeriverjam.com/srj.html

Saturday April 22, 2006 Suwannee River Jam Schedule
    (Tentative)
    12:00 Gates Open - 1:00 Special Guest
    2:45 Sun Country Jamboree - 4:45 Jason Aldean
    6:45 Mel McDaniel - 9:00 Carrie Underwood
    10:45 John Anderson

I don't know if anyone except Kelly has been allowed to tour internationally. She is the only Idol that I know of who has done that so far.
    Maybe TPTB do not want to promote a CD heavily in a market where the artist is not touring. Who knows?

Evidently no one is going to report back on the concert last night, so I just have to relate something funny that happened. There were a couple of folks that went & held up their cell phones so that others on the West Coast could listen to the show. Well, about mid way through while Carrie is singing, a bug flew into her mouth. She cracked up about it, but kept on singing. That's a bad way to get your protein if you ask me. Florida, the bug capital of the world. I think it is Love Bug Season, but it's always some bug season.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Evidently no one is going to report back on the concert last night, so I just have to relate something funny that happened. There were a couple of folks that went & held up their cell phones so that others on the West Coast could listen to the show. Well, about mid way through while Carrie is singing, a bug flew into her mouth. She cracked up about it, but kept on singing. That's a bad way to get your protein if you ask me. Florida, the bug capital of the world. I think it is Love Bug Season, but it's always some bug season.

how funny...evidently her mouth was sweet!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicantica View Post
    Remember we are comparing Some Hearts with Thankful, not with Breakaway. Country artists like Shania Twain's sales compare very favorably with Breakaway, so I don't see why Carrie's next album shouldn't do that well.

But with Some Hearts selling 3 million (projected) copies in 6 months, why would we not expect it to eventually outsell Breakaway in the US too?

As for international sales, I think Kelly C may be the only Idol contestant who has been allowed to market her CDs in Europe. Clay has not been allowed to (I have read that 19E controls that option) and I don't know about Ruben and Fantasia. Carrie? DK. Does country music sell well in Europe? Maybe someone else knows for sure.
    I thought Clay had dumped 19E? Unless part of the settlement for letting him leave their management was to not go to Europe for a specified period of time? Are they afraid he would pull away sales from 19E's European Idols' albums?

+ Reply to Thread