+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 426 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJones
    Oh, yes, I'm agreeing Carrie's version was blah. It just bothered me that the judges put a spin on their screw-up. Allegedly.
    Before the show started I asked several questions on how they were going to handle the controversy. If Carrie HAD to choose a Faith Hill song, she should have selected, "Breathe" which I absolutely love!

Going back to my former assessment, if Carrie wants to really impress the judges, she should do a "classic" and make it her own! She has a good voice and she'll be around long enough to experience growth as a singer who can do all genres of music!

I would love to hear Carrie do Patsy Cline. Usually, I think anyone who tries Patsy should be shot, but I think Carrie clearly has the voice for it. I would love to hear maybe "Walking After Midnight" or maybe "She's Got You."

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    Before the show started I asked several questions on how they were going to handle the controversy. If Carrie HAD to choose a Faith Hill song, she should have selected, "Breathe" which I absolutely love!

Going back to my former assessment, if Carrie wants to really impress the judges, she should do a "classic" and make it her own! She has a good voice and she'll be around long enough to experience growth as a singer who can do all genres of music!

I think it would be a mistake for Carrie to sing breath -- it's a difficult song to sing. Faith hill has an extremely powerful and unique voice that's hard to measure up to. There are just certain songs and artists that the contestants should steer clear of. Faith Hill is to country music what Celine Dion is to adult contemporary (or however you categorize her music). Their versions are too good, and too recent.

Here are some pics of Carrie from AI. (Click to expand to full size.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grisabella; 03-06-2005 at 01:58 AM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

One more.
    The camera sure does love her!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Fan

My thoughts on Carrie

HI,

I am a fresh Carrie fan from Singapore. She is my favourite American Idol. Truth be told, i have not been a great fan of the show. My favourite last year, Nicole Tierri (Scooter Girl) did not not even make it to the finals.

But Carrie Underwood has made my dreams come true.

Charming and with a great voice. This girl has just the RIGHT image to be successful in the business. The rest of you know what i mean. She has that sweet, virginal, Sweet Home Alabama, Reese Witherspoon routine down cold. I personally find that very charming.

I am going on a limb here to assume...that some of the people reading this are Carrie fans. So I am hoping you do not take offense. I am simply speaking my mind here. Carrie is my favourite in American Idol 4 as well.

But something bothers me. I think...Carrie has an image problem that may backfire on her.

In a way, she is too beautiful. Too classy. Carrie lacks the gritty image some of her competition has (Nadia, Bo). Now... while America loves the underdog. People may vote against her in reaction to her country image. She is too princess-like.

I have a little advice for her. Take Anthony for example. Remember his story of illness during his youth? I would suggest she tell everyone a story of her youth. A true one. To use the media coverage avaliable to her now. She has to let everyone see a flaw in her. As a down to earth person. As of now, she seems to much like one of those Goody Two Shoes Choir Girls (No Offense) you see at Church.

I have a feeling America is looking for an Idol that has more substance in her. Carrie is saying the right things, but I feel in the long run her seperateness could harm her chances badly.

Am I on track here? Just raising a few concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    HI,

I am a fresh Carrie fan from Singapore. She is my favourite American Idol. Truth be told, i have not been a great fan of the show...

But Carrie Underwood has made my dreams come true.

Charming and with a great voice. This girl has just the RIGHT image to be successful in the business. The rest of you know what i mean...

I am going on a limb here to assume...that some of the people reading this are Carrie fans. So I am hoping you do not take offense. I am simply speaking my mind here. Carrie is my favourite in American Idol 4 as well.

But something bothers me. I think...Carrie has an image problem that may backfire on her.

In a way, she is too beautiful. Too classy... I would suggest she tell everyone a story of her youth. A true one. To use the media coverage avaliable to her now. She has to let everyone see a flaw in her. As a down to earth person. As of now, she seems to much like one of those Goody Two Shoes Choir Girls (No Offense) you see at Church. ..

Am I on track here? Just raising a few concerns.
    Welcome, Felix! I can tell you defintely adore Carrie and I agree she is a very talented young woman! Please realize that being beautiful and singing country music is NOT a handicap in America! Look at Shania Twaine and Faith Hill. Also, most men love to look at an attractive woman and if she can sing, they will vote. Teenage girls may also admire her. Why even Grandmas might vote for Carrie!

American Idol will present interesting details about Carrie's life, so if there is something there, they'll find it. As far as flaws? Maybe singing in bars and pubs with her band is a flaw?

FORT Fan

Point taken.

Nice to meet you too,

I see your point on Faith Hill and Shannia Twaine. I have no doubt that win or lose, Carrie will have a most successful career ahead of her. Whether she sings Country is immaterial to me. A great voice is a great voice.

We Chinese have a saying, a pearl no matter how hidden will always reveal its true luminous nature. I liken this allusion to Carrie. She is trully a rare gem.

But...I was refering on what would happen on a National level. Could she rack up enough steady votes to win the American Idol?

Let's be frank here. People can vote for the most moronic reasons. I've personally lost count on the number of stars whose "loyal" fans have turned around and critisized them at their most needed time.

Carrie has a very squeaky cleam image. And let's face it...we love to drag people down on our own level. It's the nature of the beast. I worry that this might happen to Carrie. People might vote against her because she is too perfect. That's the backlash I am worried about.

As Simon says "It's a harsh business, out there."
    Last edited by felix; 03-07-2005 at 01:42 AM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I think Carrie needs to stick with up tempo, something like Girls with Guitars would work well for her. Not to mention that is just a fun song to do

Hi Felix,
    I'm like you & I think Carrie has a great future ahead of her. But to your point of telling her childhood story, all contestants will do that & it will help some & hurt others. I think Anthony has been helped by his ability to overcome his childhood health issues & I think Scott has been helped with his apparent lack of support from his father. On the other hand if you remember back to last year & Diana Degarmo, her past beauty pagaent exposure was brought out & continued to haunt her throughout the competition. There is a fine line that needs to be walked with these things & you never can tell how they will be interpreted by the audience. I think they have already laid a good foundation for Carrie with the clips of her on the farm & then her comments to Ryan & Constantine that showed her maybe a little on the naive side. I have great hopes for Carrie in this competition but I don't think her future success depends solely on her winning.

+ Reply to Thread