+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 423 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    As for "Piece Of My Heart," I can imagine other artists, e.g., Bonnie Raitt, taking that song and definitely "making it their own" -- totally different from Janis's version. The point is, to do the song justice, there has to be some strong, raw, gutsy feeling to it -- whether you scream it, moan it, or whisper it. IMO that's what Carrie's rendition lacked.
    I agree, it wasn't raw or gutsy. But neither was Faith Hill's version. I went back and saw the part where Seacrest mentioned it. (I TiVo'd past it the first time.) If you ask me, that was some major damage control being spinned. Randy had specifically put her down for doing a Joplin song and Paula said she wasn't believable. Wasn't believable at what? Imitating Faith Hill? I think the judges blew it, but how could they say they never heard the Faith Hill version? I know I never heard it before this week, and neither did anyone in my family, which includes teenagers and twenty-somethings.
    Last edited by MrsJones; 03-04-2005 at 07:49 AM.

My point - aside from the issue of really feeling and interpreting a song - is that a true artist doesn't mimic anyone's previous version of a song. Even if they do "karaoke" -- i.e., singing to someone else's arrangement and backup track -- they put their own distinctive mark on the song by phrasing and other aspects of vocal styling. Kelly, Clay, Ruben, Fantasia, and Kim Locke all demonstrated that in many of their performances.

As for "Piece Of My Heart," I can even imagine a soft-voiced singer like Allison Krauss doing a credible, distinctive version. You don't have to belt to express intense feeling.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Newbie
    Oh, yes, I'm agreeing Carrie's version was blah. It just bothered me that the judges put a spin on their screw-up. Allegedly.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I think it was Randy who said.. an gah I am agreeing with Randy, hell must be in the middle of a snowball fight.. When you sing a song like that it is measured against one version.. in this case Janis's and all others tend to pale in their comparison. He had it dead on.

FORT Knox
    I still think Carrie is the most talented singer and this competition is hers to lose. She just happened to pick a song this week that the judges didn't like.

I agree that Carrie is a very talented singer. She could have chosen a better choice of songs, but I still think she did a good job. I hope she does not lose this competition, and I hope she makes it very far

Carrie will get a recording contract, and probably more, even if by some odd chance, she doesn't make the final 12. She's definitely marketable.

If she makes it to the final 5 or 6, I think you'll be seeing and hearing her on CMT.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsJones
    Just for the fun of it, Carrie should sing "Me and Bobby McGee" next week. That Joplin classic has a kind of country flavor to it.
    OMG! My ears! My ears! I really think Carrie needs to stick to less bluesy material.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    As for "Piece Of My Heart," I can imagine other artists, e.g., Bonnie Raitt, taking that song and definitely "making it their own" -- totally different from Janis's version. The point is, to do the song justice, there has to be some strong, raw, gutsy feeling to it -- whether you scream it, moan it, or whisper it. IMO that's what Carrie's rendition lacked.
    I'd have to agree with you. She smiled all the way through it like it was the most cheerful song in the world!

FORT Fogey
    Unfortunately, Melissa Etheridge sang a really good version of this song just a week or two earlier -- so the difference even between Carrie and Melissa was Huge!

I hope Carrie picks a better song this week. She really has a nice voice.

+ Reply to Thread