+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    I was hoping Carrie would be #1 in the Billboard 200, but having the #1 Country album is still very good. Her first week album sales were higher than Kelly's AND Fantasia's.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

The more I listen to this CD, the more I love it! "I Just Can't Live A Lie" is my favorite track of the moment. It changes daily!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Here is another NYC appearance by Carrie. This is a great lineup & it just shows how hard her team is working to promote her. Who ever would have thought that she would have experienced the things she has gotten to do already. And now this:

http://www.wnbc.com/christmastree/5332055/detail.html

Star-Studded Christmas Celebration To Air Nov. 30

NBC continues a holiday tradition with its live telecast of the 73rd celebration of the world's most famous Christmas tree in "Christmas In Rockefeller Center," a star-studded two-hour special from New York. The show, broadcast on Wednesday, Nov. 30 (7-9 p.m. ET), will be hosted by Al Roker of "Today" and Megan Mullally of "Will and Grace."

The popular musical lineup for the special will include a mix of current hits and holiday favorites performed by Rod Stewart, Sheryl Crow, Carrie Underwood, Brian Wilson, Earth Wind and Fire, the Goo Goo Dolls, Il Divo, the Brian Setzer Orchestra and Regis Philbin.

This year's show will be a fundraiser for "Toys for Tots," to help buy toys for the children affected by the hurricanes, so they can enjoy a Christmas that they may otherwise not have.

Harry Connick Jr. will be on hand to help light this year's tree with children whose lives have been disrupted by the storms in the Gulf states.

The telecast will be in high definition.

So far the reviews for Some Hearts have been overwhelming on the positive side. Yes, there have been some that were lukewarm, but that is to be expected. Anyway, the one I have been waiting for is Billboard. They have finally come across & I think it speaks volumes about the future in store for Ms. Carrie. Billboard has yet to have anything negative to say about either Carrie, the singles, or her album.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/revie..._id=1001570552

The formula seems foolproof: Take a country-leaning, photogenic "American Idol" winner, team her with A-list Music Row producers, secure a few Diane Warren songs and an instant country diva is born. Underwood is more than up to the challenge, nailing slow-burn country midtempos like "Wasted" and "The Night Before (Life Goes On)" with personality and serious vocal chops. The single "Jesus, Take the Wheel" is a gentle showcase of her vocal power, and she transcends the faux-rock material on Warren's "Lessons Learned" and "Some Hearts." Underwood shows a bluesy edge on "Before He Cheats" and "We're Young and Beautiful," and wails impressively on piano-based ballads like "Starts With Goodbye." She may have a nice platform to kick off her career, but ultimately Underwood will be a star because of her own considerable talents. —Ray Waddell

I hope everyone got to see Carrie last night on the Rockefeller Center Show. She looked & sounded absolutely fabulous. Here is some great news for you.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=18919

American Idol Carrie Underwood Follows Historic Chart Debut with Another Incredible Week

Nashville, TN (Carrie Underwood Official Website) – 2005 American Idol winner Carrie Underwood continues to prove she is indeed America's darling as she follows last week's record-setting chart entry of her debut 19 Recordings/Arista Records/Arista Nashville collection, Some Hearts, with another sensational chart week. After only two weeks in stores, Some Hearts now tops the 500,000 unit sales mark according to SoundScan, with the album second only to superstar Kenny Chesney this week on Billboard's Top Country Albums chart.
    Carrie's first-week album entry (which placed her at No 1 on the country chart and No 2 on the Billboard 200 all-genre chart, with more than 314,000 units sold) made SoundScan history as the biggest-selling debut album ever by a new country artist.

More remarkable still, Carrie has joined extraordinary company with the release of Some Hearts, as no female country artist in SoundScan history, with the exception of superstars Faith Hill and Shania Twain, has ever achieved higher first-week numbers on any album.

Radio continues to embrace Carrie in a big way, as well, with the disc's powerful lead single, 'Jesus, Take the Wheel,' climbing the country airplay charts at an amazing clip, already soaring to No 11 Billboard and No 12 R&R after only six weeks.

Here is a link to the Billboard's Hit Predictor page. Carrie's Jesus Take the Wheel is a full 10 1/2 pts. better than the next closest current song (On The Christian Format Stations). And 3 points better than the next closest previous song. This seems to be a multi-format hit & I congratulate the management team & Carrie for putting it first.

http://hitpredictor.billboardradiomo.../christian.php

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    I hope everyone got to see Carrie last night on the Rockefeller Center Show. She looked & sounded absolutely fabulous.
    I saw it. Having heard that the concert at Rockefeller Center was possibly going to be two hours long, I set the TV to NBC at 7:00 P.M. Contrary to what the local tv listings were saying, the concert was two hours long, not just from 8 to 9. I was merely hoping that Carrie would either perform a Christmas song or "Jesus, Take The Wheel," but to my surprise she did both!
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma24601 View Post
    I saw it. Having heard that the concert at Rockefeller Center was possibly going to be two hours long, I set the TV to NBC at 7:00 P.M. Contrary to what the local tv listings were saying, the concert was two hours long, not just from 8 to 9. I was merely hoping that Carrie would either perform a Christmas song or "Jesus, Take The Wheel," but to my surprise she did both!
    We only got the first hour here so I missed the Christmas song. But to add a little tidbit about her live performances. When she was at the Opry a couple of weeks, she was part of two shows. The first show was televised & Carrie performed both Wasted & Jesus Take the Wheel. Vince Gill was the host & was extremely complimentary even calling her back on stage to talk for a minute. Anyway, during the second show which was only on Radio, apparantely Vince gave up his slot so Carrie could do a third song which turned out to be Before He Cheats. Now, according to some folks that go to the Opry all the time, they said they had never seen anyone do 3 songs & were completely taken by surprise & delight when it happened. Carrie is getting great support from the industry & her management team is putting her into lineups that are completely unexpected for an artist at this stage in their career.

It looks like Carrie's gotten involved in more charity work.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-01-2005/0004226477&EDATE=

Celebrities Trim Disneyland Tree to Benefit Toys for Tots

ANAHEIM, Calif., Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Some of Hollywood's legendary stars of past and present are making the holidays a bit brighter for the young victims of the Gulf Coast hurricanes as they assist the Disneyland Resort in southern California in a unique fundraising effort for Toys for Tots, starting today at 4:00pm/PST (7:00pm EST) on eBay.
    (Photo:
    http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20051201/LATH117-a
    http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20051201/LATH117-b)
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Christina Aguilera, Susan Sarandon, Eva Longoria, Teri Hatcher, Kirk Douglas, Keith Urban and William Shatner are among the 41 celebrities who have contributed their imagination and creativity in personally decorating gold holiday ornaments that are shaped in the familiar three-circle design of Mickey Mouse. These one-of-a-kind celebrity designed ornaments adorn a 7-foot tall artificial tree that has been augmented by various commemorative Disneyland 50th Anniversary decorations for a total of 50 ornaments. The tree is topped with a miniature version of the special 50th Anniversary tree-topper that presently sits upon Disneyland's signature 60-foot tall Christmas tree in Town Square.
    Bidding on the tree, with all of its special holiday ornaments, will begin at $1 to encourage as many bidders as possible for such a worthy cause. The auction can be found at http://www.ebay.com and closes at 4:00pm/PST (7:00pm/EST) on Thursday, December 8. The celebrity ornaments are currently on display through Sunday, December 4, on Main Street, U.S.A. at Disneyland.
    Each ornament has been personally decorated and signed by the respective celebrity and each unique ornament reflects their own distinct style and personality. Actor John Stamos utilized old Disneyland tickets to decorate his ornament while Christina Aguilera emblazoned her ornament with a big red lipstick smootch. The unique gold patina (not commercially available) on the ornaments was created exclusively for Disneyland's 50th anniversary celebration.
    "Disneyland Resort has enjoyed a long association with the Toys for Tots Foundation and we're proud to partner with them again this year," said Matt Ouimet, President, Disneyland Resort. "2005 has been a particularly difficult year for our fellow citizens in the Gulf Coast and so we look forward to bringing them a little holiday cheer through this fundraising effort."
    "This year Marines are conducting the 58th annual Toys for Tots campaign," stated Matthew T. Cooper, President and CEO, Marine Toys for Tots Foundation. "In addition to striving to reach millions of needy children nationwide, Marines will strive to bring the joy of Christmas to the thousands of children whose families lost everything as a result of the hurricanes of the summer of 2005."

The complete list of participating celebrities includes:

Christina Aguilera Evangeline Lilly
    David Arquette & Courtney Cox Eva Longoria
    Zach Braff Jennifer Love Hewitt
    Carol Channing Mia Maestro
    Leonardo DiCaprio Eric McCormack
    Phyllis Diller Bob Newhart
    Kirk Douglas Marie Osmond
    Brendan Fraser Terry O'Quinn
    Greg Grunberg Jeremy Piven
    Deborah Harry LeAnn Rimes
    Teri Hatcher John Stamos
    Josh Holloway Susan Sarandon
    Anjelica Huston William Shatner
    Hugh Jackman Donald Trump
    Shar Jackson Aisha Tyler
    Jewel Carrie Underwood
    Chris Kattan Keith Urban
    Glen Keane Sela Ward
    Johnny Knoxville Betty White
    Shia LaBeouf Wynonna
    Cloris Leachman

About the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation
    Net proceeds from this auction will benefit the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program, whose mission is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted. Toys for Tots strives to deliver, through a shiny new toy at Christmas, a message of hope to needy youngsters that will motivate them to grow into responsible, productive, patriotic citizens and community leaders.

More information about the Disneyland 50th anniversary celebration is available at http://www.disneyland.com.

Here is another great review for SOme Hearts. The album shipped enough units to certify it as Gold from the start, but it has now actually sold enough units in 2 weeks to classify as gold. 502,000 plus in only 2 weeks is pretty incredible for a Country album.

Carrie Underwood - Some Hearts (Arista)
    From Bill Lamb,
    Your Guide to Top 40 / Pop.
    Have an Idea? Pitch a Story
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

'American Idol' Has Found a Star...and She Can Sing
    Guide Rating - ****

It is easy to poke fun at American Idol, the massive national talent show that has become an annual ritual. However, after 4 seasons the show has given us some lasting talent, and, if this first album is any indication, Season 4 victor Carrie Underwood will soon be joining their ranks. This is one of the best albums yet from an American Idol contestant.

Pleasing Mix of Country and Pop
    Some Hearts is a well balanced blend of mainstream pop and country music. The songs include work by some of country's top current songwriters (Troy Verges, Hillary Lindsey, Trey Bruce, Brett James, Rivers Rutherford) as well as 3 tunes from legendary pop songwriter Diane Warren. Carrie Underwood sounds as comfortable in both pop and country worlds as artists like Faith Hill or Shania Twain. Whether she will continue to straddle both realms in the future remains to be seen.

Stretching Boundaries
    While the bulk of Some Hearts is devoted to ballads that allow Underwood's full-throated voice to shine, she does push some boundaries. She heads out to the country dance floor on "We're Young and Beautiful" and kicks up some steam. On "Before He Cheats," Carrie Underwood adopts a bit of a growl as she dives into a tail of revenge on a cheating partner. She even tries out songwriting on the honky tonk styled, autobiographical "I Ain't in Checotah Anymore." When Underwood moves out of mainstream ballad territory, the results are gratifying.

Top Tracks

Wasted
    Some Hearts
    Before He Cheats
    We're Young and Beautiful
    I Ain't in Checotah Anymore

A New Star to Watch
    There's a difficult to describe personal warmth and charm for the woman from Checotah, Oklahoma that emanates from nearly every song on this album. The only place it is less in evidence is on "Inside Your Heaven," her first single, released last summer, and a song chosen by the execs at American Idol.

Carrie Underwood is clearly a star to watch. Some Hearts is very good, but she can probably do even better as she matures as a recording artist. Some credit for the quality of this album must be given to producers Dann Huff (studio musician for hundreds of recordings and producer in recent years) and Mark Bright (producer for Rascal Flatts, Jo Dee Messina, and Sara Evans). They have created solid musical environments that allow Carrie Underwood's beautiful voice to shine. This album isn't for music fans looking for the next left-field hit, but if you are a fan of quality performances of well-chosen pop and country songs, this is a collection for you.

from about.com

+ Reply to Thread