+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

One glowing review from among many. Some Hearts seems to be waking a lot of folks up to the Talent that is Carrie Underwood.

http://maroon.uchicago.edu/voices/ar...ie_underwo.php
    Quote:
    American Idol-—the reality show to end all reality shows. It started out as just another Americanized show lifted from England, but with its complex cast of judges (pleasantly outdated Paula Abdul, famed producer Randy Jackson, and offensively blunt Simon Cowell) and gifted contestants, this little program has escalated to become so much more. Over its three previous seasons, the show has pumped out three talented singers, only one of whom actually has a rising career—Kelly Clarkson. However, season four produced one diva that may just put Clarkson’s reign to an end—Carrie Underwood.

Whenever one thinks of country music, the impression generally involves someone singing about relationships gone wrong, money issues, or some other useless gibberish that fills up a solid three minutes. So, when Carrie Underwood made it clear her debut album would fall into this genre, it seemed her career had already ended. After listening to Some Hearts at least five times, one thing was made perfectly clear—country never sounded this good.

Some Hearts starts on an easygoing note, perfectly balancing rock and country, and featuring Carrie telling the story of people who won’t let their lives slip away “Wasted.” The classic country storytelling continues in the endearing and inspirational “Don’t Forget to Remember Me,” ending with Underwood on her knees, praying for God to aid her and her family in their turbulent times.

Confusion is prevalent in the beginning of “Some Hearts” as Underwood wonders why she can’t find love, but realizes in the chorus that “some hearts just get lucky sometimes,” and that even her own heart can get lucky as well. Carrie doesn’t hide her faith throughout this CD, especially on her power ballad “Jesus Take the Wheel,” in which she narrates a tale of redemption where a woman gives her life to Jesus after she and her child are saved from a possible collision.

Unfortunately, people have to ultimately accept that some relationships won’t last forever, and in “The Night Before (Life Goes On),” a couple’s summer fling ends and they sadly part ways to live their own lives. A reflective yet thankful tone governs “Lessons Learned,” as Underwood looks back at her heartbreaks and is grateful for all of them.

Carrie gets revenge on her cheating boyfriend by carving her name in his car, slashing all of his tires, and taking a Louisville Slugger to his headlights, so that maybe he’ll think next time “Before He Cheats.” Piano dominates the murky and gloomy “Starts with Goodbye,” as Underwood admits that the end of this relationship may make her cry and hurt inside, but she has to move on with the rest of her life.

In “I Just Can’t Live a Lie,” Carrie has to accept the fact that she still loves her ex-boyfriend and that she cannot live without him. The uplifting “We’re Young and Beautiful” brings the tempo back to a more cheerful route by keeping not only “their sweet love alive,” but also this album.

After that shot of espresso wears off, Carrie returns to her daydreaming in “That’s Where It Is,” as she describes the feeling of having that special someone’s “love-hold” (whatever position, grasp, or action that may be). Underwood pulls off an amazing performance in the heartfelt song we’ve all been waiting for, “Whenever You Remember,” filled with enchantment, awe, and the vintage choral key change.

Carrie reminisces on her vivid childhood, happily exclaiming “I Ain’t in Checotah Anymore,” illustrating the difference between her life in a small town and her new one in “A world so wide/ It makes her feel small sometimes.” Some Hearts ends with the engaging pop ballad that made her the superstar she is today, “Inside Your Heaven.”

Some Hearts bests all of the former idols’ debut releases. Even though it may not incorporate as many genres as the others’, it features superior production and a voice so confident that the competition doesn’t stand a chance.
    Last edited by Leo; 11-20-2005 at 07:59 AM.

I just bought my copies ( one for me and one for my son's girlfriend who also loves Carrie).

Absolutely love it...and cannot get it out of my cd player!!! "Before he cheats " is my favorite so far but need to listen more to the others as well.
    I can just visualize the Video!!!

This album will last a long time......so so proud of Carrie! My money was on her from the beginning of the Idol season.

The poster inside is so pretty...great photopgraphy!!

Broadway...you have great taste in Music too! (lol) Great minds think alike!!?

On the lyrics of "Before he cheats"

It sounds to me like she sings...

Right now he's probably slow dancing with a bleached-blond tramp,
    and she's probably getting thirsty...

have you seen them published anywhere?...course don"t want to learn the words wrong...but would not be the first time I was wrong!
    Last edited by cabernetCally; 11-19-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally

have you seen them published anywhere?...course don"t want to learn the words wrong...but would not be the first time I was wrong!
    The official site has lyrics for all of the songs on the album.
    It's going to be a close call between Carrie and Madonna. Estimates for both of their albums are around 320,000 to 340,000 copies and it's still up in the air as to who sold more.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

I just bought my copies ( one for me and one for my son's girlfriend who also loves Carrie).

Absolutely love it...and cannot get it out of my cd player!!! "Before he cheats " is my favorite so far but need to listen more to the others as well.
    I can just visualize the Video!!!

This album will last a long time......so so proud of Carrie! My money was on her from the beginning of the Idol season.

The poster inside is so pretty...great photopgraphy!!

It's definitely FRISKY. Cause she can't shoot whiskey. I agree with you. This is a brilliant debut album. There are just so many possible hits on it that it should stay on the charts for a long long time. I am all over Young & Beautiful & Before He Cheats, two attitude songs that show a side to Carries vocals she hasn't explored before.

If you saw her last night at the Grand Ole Opry or even if you didn't everyone was all over her. First Vince Gill opened the show with a song about Oklahoma in my blood or something to that effect. When it was over he said that for my new Okla. buddy Carrie Underwood. Then Carrie sang Wasted, which was just beautiful. After John Corbett "sang", Carrie came back for Jesus Take the Wheel. How can anyone not love this song & Carries vocals? After which as she was leaving the stage Vince Gill called her over to talk for a minute & then at the end he told her how she just killed everyone at the CMA'S & how great her performance was. Then she was interviewed backstage for probably a good 4-5 minutes. Rascal Flatts then took the stage & sang Fast Cars & Freedom after which Gary said " It's really good to be back on the same bill as our buddy Carrie Underwood, you may remember we were on a little show called Amreican Idol". It was Carries coming out party & it happened on the Ryman Auditorium stage. It just don't get any better than that.

CabernetCally........ I posted the lyrics up above in post 1134 (yipes! This thread is huge!) It's "frisky," but now I'll have to listen to it to hear it your way.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I have no doubt that I am probably wearing out my welcome around here, but there are so many great things happening for Carrie that it is just to good to leave alone. And anyway, you don't have to read it if you don't want to. Check this one out.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....NT01/511200306

Sunday, 11/20/05
    Music Row welcomes Carrie Underwood with open arms

'American Idol' winner finds warm reception where other 'outsiders' have failed

By BRAD SCHMITT
    Staff Writer

Music Row tends to withhold Southern hospitality for Hollywood types who come here to scratch a country music itch.
    After all, Nashville is where football great Terry Bradshaw, rocker Bret Michaels of Poison and actors Billy Bob Thornton, Maureen McCormick (Marcia on The Brady Bunch) and Crystal Bernard (from TV's Wings) have come to make country albums all with little success.
    So it's little surprise that when Capitol Nashville chief Mike Dungan hears an actor or a rocker is coming here to make country music, he has a less-than-enthusiastic reaction.
    "I'm usually rolling my eyes," Dungan said. "The automatic thing to think is it's not going to (sell)."
    Against that backdrop, an exception has exploded onto the scene. Nashville has enthusiastically embraced Carrie Underwood, who in May became the latest to win Fox's incredibly successful singing talent contest American Idol.
    Within a month of being named the "American Idol" in front of 6,000 people at Universal Studios in Hollywood (and 33 million TV viewers worldwide), Underwood was in Nashville performing at the Gaylord Entertainment Center for a CMT greatest duets show. Within days of that, Underwood was at the CMA Music Festival on the big stage at the Coliseum.
    Now, Underwood:
    Has a deal with Arista Records, home to Alan Jackson;
    Landed high-profile producers Dann Huff (Faith Hill, Lonestar) and Mark Bright (Rascal Flatts, Jo Dee Messina) to make her freshman album, Some Hearts, released last Tuesday;
    Saw her first single, Jesus, Take the Wheel, make chart history by becoming the first single by a new artist to debut inside the Top 40 on country charts since BDS monitoring started in 1990;
    Made CMA Awards show history last Tuesday by becoming the first artist with only one single out to get a performance slot and a presenter slot.
    What's the difference? Why has the country music industry given Underwood an explosive start when the same industry has rejected others who have become stars outside Music Row?
    Record label chiefs point to three things: Underwood, 22, has always said she's a country singer; she's making commercially viable music; and Underwood's Idol experience gives her a powerful marketing leg up on other new artists.
    Lyric Street Records chief Randy Goodman who signed former Idol contestant Josh Gracin to his label says it comes down to one issue: "No matter how big the personality is, if we can't get a hit at radio, then nothing else matters."
    Goodman says he doubts actors Billy Bob Thorton and John Corbett (Sex and the City, My Big Fat Greek Wedding) both making country albums are looking for that smash hit.
    "I'm not looking for what's cool or what's critically acclaimed," Goodman said. "I'm looking for what's viable at country radio. Hollywood, they wanna make something cool, hip and alternative, and that's cool and great. But it doesn't work for me."
    Capitol's Dungan, incoming president of the Country Music Association, is more harsh, saying sometimes the stars don't care about the music.
    "When you're talking about a movie star or Miss America . . . it's not about music," he said. "It's about celebrity."
    Those two label chiefs, and Underwood's label chief, Joe Galante of Nashville's Sony-BMG group, all say, though, Underwood is different, in part because she declared from the start that she was a country singer, even though she knew that would be an unpopular position with cranky Idol judge Simon Cowell.
    "People had open arms because she wasn't posing," Galante said. "She made that very clear. . . . There's a world of difference between all the other stars and her."
    Because of the belief that she's the real deal, Underwood's Idol experience could help her immensely, Music Row executives say, because the show's audiences are so big and so into the show.
    "American Idol continues to be driven by people who are insane," Dungan said. "They skip their anniversary parties, their birthdays, to watch. If you get exposure on there, you have a tremendous leg up."
    Galante said Idol contestants bring along all this media support and it has been paying dividends for Underwood already. "Teen Cosmo, TV, it's all been a real plus. We normally don't get that kind of launch."
    And Goodman said Idol contestants get on-the-job training from the show.
    "Josh (Gracin) and Carrie, they're already stars. Josh, he'd already gone through intense media training, been under scrutiny of Simon, getting the crap beat out of him, voted on by the American public every week," Goodman said. "Everything I've thrown at him was child's play."
    Not everyone on Music Row is convinced that American Idol is a great training ground or a great show.
    "It cheapens the whole thing," said singer K.T. Oslin.
    "It makes it seem like you run up one day and audition and they make you a big star. It works like that for some people, but in the end they pay for it. They have no chops. They drown in the mosh pit," she said.
    "It worked for Kelly Clarkson really well, but I don't know how well it'll work for the others."
    As for Underwood, 22, well, she's glad to be here.
    "I'd heard the country music community was pretty closely knit and doesn't really let that many outsiders in," she said. "Nashville, they're possessive. I know that. I'm very lucky."

You are all right...it is friskly!!!

found it here........... http://www.carrieunderwoodofficial.c...s/track07.html

enjoy!

[QUOTE=razorbacker]
    Underwood is set to perform with Phil Vassar tonight on the Coliseum stage for the CMA Music Festival.
    QUOTE]

I loved that she performed with Phil Vassar at CMA Fest. I'm a big fan of Phil's. I couldn't go, but I heard from a lot of Phil Vassar "phans" that they sang a song together and I recently heard they might record it for his "Greatest Hits" album.

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    Here's some news about the episode of CMT's "In The Moment" starring Carrie, including an air date.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051121/clm070.html?.v=25

American Idol Winner Goes From Hollywood Hopeful to Country Crooner in "CMT IN THE MOMENT: CARRIE UNDERWOOD"
    CMT Cameras Follow Carrie Underwood as She Realizes Her Dream of Becoming a Country Artist

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Nov. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Carrie Underwood won America's hearts and votes, week after week, competing on the Hollywood stage armed with songs from the country artists she's always admired. Now, the "American Idol" winner is paving her own way to stand in the country music spotlight, and CMT captures it all for the one-hour episode of CMT IN THE MOMENT: CARRIE UNDERWOOD, premiering Friday, December 16 at 10:00-11:00 PM ET/PT.

CMT IN THE MOMENT brings viewers unprecedented, uncensored access to country music's newest rising star, providing a behind-the-scenes look at the road Underwood travels to pursue her musical dreams. From her performance at CMT's 100 GREATEST DUETS, to the purchase of her first home, to her first music video shoot and inside industry events, CMT offers an exclusive and candid look at Underwood's journey. Her performance at the 2005 CMA Awards rounds out the show.

Underwood, the newly crowned "American Idol," started singing in public when she was a small child and made her first studio recordings at age 13. Hailing from Checotah, Oklahoma, the 22-year-old began her career singing in festivals throughout the South and Midwest. On "American Idol," Underwood regularly sang songs by country superstars Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts and the Dixie Chicks. Underwood, who is now signed with 19 Recordings/Arista, released her debut album, Some Hearts, on November 15, 2005.

IN THE MOMENT was created and is executive produced by George Moll of County Line Productions. Moll created and produced the hit VH1 series "Behind the Music" and has also developed and produced original programming for CMT, TV Land and BBC. Lewis Bogach is executive producer for CMT. Paul Villadolid and Sarah Brock are executives in charge of production for CMT.

CMT, America's No. 1 country music network, carries original programming, specials, and live concerts and events, as well as a mix of videos by established country music artists and new cutting-edge acts, including world premiere exclusive videos. Founded March 6, 1983, CMT, owned and operated by MTV Networks, reaches more than 77.8 million households in the United States. Go to country music's biggest web site at http://www.CMT.com.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051123/nyw024.html?.v=35

Quote:
    Carrie Underwood Highest Selling Debut Country Artist in the SoundScan Era

NEW YORK, Nov. 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Idol winner Carrie Underwood made history today when her debut 19 Recordings/Arista Records album, Some Hearts, moved more than 314,000 units in its first week of release, making her the highest debuting new artist in the country genre since SoundScan began. Carrie also earned the distinction of selling more units than any other debut female American Idol star to date. In addition, Carrie's album is the highest charting album for a debut artist in 2005.

The sales numbers easily put Some Hearts at the top of Billboard's Top Country Albums Chart, with an overall ranking of Number 2 on the Billboard 200 which ranks albums of all genres.

Carrie Underwood's impressive sales numbers were propelled by two hit singles at separate radio formats. "Jesus, Take The Wheel" is currently sitting at 14 Bullet on the Billboard Monitor Country chart and is gaining momentum more quickly than any other record at the format. In fact, the track made chart history earlier this fall by becoming the first single by a new artist to debut inside the Top 40 on the country charts since BDS monitoring started in 1990. On the pop side, the title track "Some Hearts," which was shipped to radio only weeks ago, is quickly climbing the Billboard Monitor Pop charts, giving the vocalist exposure on country and pop radio formats out of the box, a rarity in today's music business and virtually unheard of for a new artist.

In addition to the remarkable radio airplay, Carrie has only just begun a slate of television performances which will remind fans of the spectacular voice and charismatic stage presence that earned her the top spot at this year's American Idol competition. Ms. Underwood's performance at the recent CMA Awards made show history when she became the first artist with only one single to secure a coveted performance and presenter slot on the biggest Country Music primetime television show of the year. Carrie also recently performed on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and on the Today Show and will perform on The View today. She is scheduled to make appearances on Ellen and the Billboard Awards. In addition, Carrie will bring some holiday cheer to television audiences by singing Christmas songs on shows like Dr. Phil, TNT's upcoming "Christmas in Washington" special and on the annual Christmas at Rockefeller Center. Carrie will be the subject of a profile on NBC's Dateline in early December as well as a profile on CMT's "In The Moment" on December 16th.

Thanksgiving is a particularly exciting day for Carrie -- the music video for "Jesus, Take The Wheel" is set to debut on CMT on Thanksgiving Day as a "Hot Shot" and she will perform "Some Hearts" on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

With such a strong promotional schedule, radio airplay continuing on the upswing, and a slew of magazine features still to come, Carrie Underwood will undoubtedly become very familiar with the top of the charts for the remainder of 2005 and beyond.

+ Reply to Thread