+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    Carrie's going to be a part of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year!
    Here's some excerpts from an article.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051101/sftu102.html?.v=30
    Macy's Announces New Giant Helium Balloons and Amazing Floats for the 79th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade(R)

New York, Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The start of the holiday season is just around the corner, and the official kick-off celebration -- the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is gearing up to unveil its new line-up of giant helium balloons and floats for the big day.
    This Thanksgiving, kids of all ages will have a lot to look forward to with six new floats, four giant helium character balloons and one new novelty balloon set to join the legendary line-up of America's Parade. From classic characters to timeless toys, the 79th annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will once again feature a stellar starring cast.

Joining returning favorites, these new stars will take to the skies and streets of New York City on Thursday, November 24th at 9:00 AM in their first proud procession down Broadway to Herald Square. . .

Making its sweet debut in the Parade, the Holiday Lovin' Oven celebrates the joys of holiday baking. The world famous Pillsbury® Doughboy is adding a little love to the holiday season by baking up his special treats with the float's gigantic oven. Magical cookies, sweet rolls and crescent rolls are ready to be enjoyed by Parade lovers everywhere as the playful giant oven and oversized utensils set the stage for holiday baking. Accompanying the loveable Doughboy down Broadway will be American Idol's Carrie Underwood who will be serving up a song from her soon to be released debut album.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

It just gets better all the time for Carrie. Man what a year it has been for her. And just think we are still two weeks away from her first album. What will the future hold?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051102/clw042.html?.v=28

Reigning CMA Entertainer of the Year Kenny Chesney to Open 'The 39th Annual CMA Awards'
    Wednesday November 2, 12:29 pm ET

Current "American Idol" Carrie Underwood to Perform and Present Award; Additional Presenters Include Cowboy Troy, Montgomery Gentry, Olivia Newton- John, Joe Nichols and Wynonna
    NASHVILLE, Tenn., Nov. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Reigning CMA Entertainer of the Year Kenny Chesney has been tapped to open "Country Music's Biggest Night," CMA announced today.
    "It makes sense the biggest touring artist in the format should be the one who opens the CMA Awards on this historic occasion," said CMA Executive Director Ed Benson. "This is a night of firsts and big events and this will be one of them. Kenny's energy alone with his ability to connect with the audience and our viewers will set the tone for the night."
    ADVERTISEMENT

"The 39th Annual CMA Awards," which is hosted for the second year by Brooks & Dunn, airs live Tuesday, Nov. 15 (8:00-11:00 PM/ET) on the CBS Television Network from Madison Square Garden in New York City.
    Chesney will open the three-hour gala with the scorching "Living In Fast Forward," from his eagerly anticipated BNA Records release The Road & The Radio (Nov. 8). Having sold in excess of 1 million concert tickets in America for the third year in a row -- beating U2 by more than 200,000 tickets for the first half of 2005 alone, Chesney understands how to hit it hard and plug directly into the kind of high energy New York feeds on.
    2005 "American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood showed Americans that her heart was in Country Music, and they responded enthusiastically, voting her their season four Idol and making Underwood one of the most in-demand new talents to emerge this year. The Oklahoma native recently made chart history with "Jesus, Take The Wheel" the first release from her forthcoming 19 Recordings/Arista debut album, Some Hearts (Nov. 15). The song became the first single by a new artist to debut inside the Top 40 since the start of BDS audience monitoring in 1990. Added to the list of presenters are Cowboy Troy; Vocal Duo of the Year nominee Montgomery Gentry; former CMA Female Vocalist of the Year Olivia Newton-John; 2003 Horizon Award winner Joe Nichols; and Wynonna, who has received 25 career CMA Awards nominations, including 20 with mother Naomi as The Judds, and five as a solo artist.
    Performers already announced for the 2005 CMA Awards include Dierks Bentley, Big & Rich, Bon Jovi with Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland, CMA hosts Brooks & Dunn, Garth Brooks, Sara Evans, Faith Hill, Alan Jackson, Alison Krauss + Union Station Featuring Jerry Douglas, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Julie Roberts, George Strait, Sugarland, Keith Urban, Gretchen Wilson, Lee Ann Womack, collaborations with Dolly Parton and Sir Elton John, performing together for the first time ever, and Willie Nelson and Paul Simon, who will perform and then present CMA Song of the Year.
    Previously announced presenters include Trace Adkins, James Gandolfini, Vince Gill, Billy Joel, Kris Kristofferson, LeAnn Rimes, Shania Twain, Trisha Yearwood, Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix.
    For the first time ever, tickets for the 2005 CMA Awards are available to the general public. Tickets can be purchased by logging on to http://www.ticketmaster.com; calling (212) 307-7171 (or any local Ticketmaster outlet phone number); or in-person at the Madison Square Garden box office. Tickets to the 2005 CMA Awards can also be purchased at all Ticketmaster outlets across the nation. The ticket price is $250 (not including tax and service charges).
    The CMA Awards are produced by Walter C. Miller and directed by Paul Miller. David Wild will script the ceremonies. MJI Programming, a division of Premiere Radio Networks, is the official radio packager of the CMA Awards, which includes Red Carpet coverage and a stereo-radio simulcast of the gala event. Chevy, an American Revolution, is the official automotive sponsor of the 2005 CMA Awards. American Airlines is the official airline of the 2005 CMA Awards. Additional promotional sponsors include Prilosec OTC®, aolmusic.com, BMG Columbia House, Inc., Chase, Country Weekly, Creme Savers® Candy, Crisco®, Gibson Guitars, Jack Daniel's, Kellogg's®, Kmart(sm), Kodak, Lever 2000® and XM Satellite Radio®. Charles Fazzino is the official artist of the 2005 CMA Awards.

Billboard comes through with a couple of really good reviews for Carrie. This is the same guy that hates JD Fortune & INXS” Pretty Vegas so take it as you will.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/revie..._id=1001434270

"American Idol" winners have proved to be an inconsistent sell. Season one victor Kelly Clarkson delivered as promised and is today, a global pop superstar. Ruben Studdard was an obvious one-trick adult R&B pony, while Fantasia is a deserving R&B staple. Season four victor Carrie Underwood never hid her country overtures, and her heartfelt "Jesus, Take the Wheel" is already seducing that format. Pop release "Some Hearts," a cover of the 2002 Kelly Levesque tune, is a surprising delight, highlighting an expert vocal sans the singer's propensity to scream. And it does not betray her folksy roots. During the days when Faith Hill and Shania Twain were accessible at top 40, this would not present a problem, but today, the style is a tough sell at mainstream radio. Whatever the outcome, in terms of material and performance, Underwood is a clear winner. —Chuck Taylor

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/revie..._id=1001434272

Country audiences love a good story-song that encompasses life, miracles and redemption, and this fine single fits the bill. Reigning "American Idol" Carrie Underwood delivers a sensitive, thoughtful portrait of a woman in crisis who yields control of her life to the Lord. The song boasts a sweetly stirring melody and well-crafted lyric. An Oklahoma native, Underwood has a stunning voice and a winning way with a country lyric. Culled from her Nov. 15 album release, "Some Hearts," this preview shows Underwood has the pipes and the song sense to go beyond TV contestant status. Watch this one fly. —Deborah Evans Price

There's going to be a lot of Carrie on tv in the next couple of weeks.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=18410

Carrie Underwood Promotes New Album with TV Appearances

NASHVILLE, TN. – American Idol winner and country newcomer Carrie Underwood will perform her new single 'Jesus, Take The Wheel' for the first time on television on the CMA Awards next week. Following her trip to New York to appear on the awards telecast, in addition to launching her album SOME HEARTS the same day- Nov. 15, Underwood will make additional TV appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (Nov. 17), The Today Show (Nov. 22), The View (Nov 23), Macy's Day Parade (Nov 24), Dr. Phil (Dec 14) and TNT's Christmas In Washington Special (Dec. 14). More appearances are planned.
    Underwood fans can read about her in the new issue of People Magazine when she recently took them on a tour of her hometown of Checotah, OK. Also, look for beautiful photos of Underwood in OK! Magazine taken during the filming of 'Jesus, Take The Wheel' video, which is due soon to CMT and GAC.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

Another article that talks about what Carrie's doing next week.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=18436

Carrie Underwood To CNN'S 'LARRY KING LIVE' Monday, Nov. 14

NASHVILLE, TN. (Carrie Underwood Official Website) – Carrie Underwood will appear on CNN's Larry King Live on Monday, Nov. 14 as part of a show he is hosting on country music. This will be Underwood's second booking on CNN's top rated show, her first during the American Idol finals when Idol host Ryan Seacrest stepped in as guest host for King.
    Following her appearance on Larry King Live, Underwood will play hostess for a CMA event party at the new Kodak One Gallery in SoHo. Both Underwood, the CMA and Kodak will work to auction off signed photos on ebay taken of celebrities who attend the showing. Proceeds will benefit Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

Here’s a nice little article & interview with Carrie from USA Today. Notice how much the people that are working with her are taken aback not only with her talent, but her lack of ego.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...tm?POE=LIFISVA

Carrie takes the wheel
    By Brian Mansfield, Special for USA TODAY
    NASHVILLE — Carrie Underwood has brought doughnuts, but nobody's eating them.
    I bought these for everybody," says the 22-year-old American Idol winner from Checotah, Okla., pointing to the box of Krispy Kremes. "Only two of them are gone, and I ate one of them."
    Carrie Underwood is working hard to make good first impressions in Nashville, where she moved after winning American Idol in May.
    She's doing a good job. Country radio stations have taken quickly to Jesus, Take the Wheel, the first single from her Some Hearts album, which arrives Tuesday. Jesus, Take the Wheel is inside the top 30 on Billboard's chart after only two weeks.
    Though her American Idol crown immediately made her one of the most recognizable acts in country music, Underwood still comes across as wide-eyed, almost shy. In these days of badly behaved celebrities, she literally recoils at the notion someone might think poorly of her.
    "If I called and said, 'I need ice water,' somebody would probably go get it," she says. "I don't ever do stuff like that."
    Not even once, just to see if someone really would do it?
    "No. That's weird.
    "I want people to say, 'Carrie's easy to work with. She follows directions and she pays attention.' I want people to say that about me, so that years down the line, when some girl says, 'I grew up listening to Carrie Underwood,' somebody can say, 'Oh, she's great.' "
    So far, that's what people are saying about her.
    "I didn't know what to expect when I met her," says Hillary Lindsey, the Nashville songwriter who co-wrote Underwood's single and two other songs on Some Hearts. "I wondered, 'Is she going to be egotistical? I mean, she won American Idol, for crying out loud. But she was the total opposite. She's really sweet. There's no pretentiousness at all."
    Dann Huff, who produced six tracks on Some Hearts, calls Underwood "a breath of fresh air."
    "She doesn't seem to have an overt need to impress people," Huff says. "Which is funny, because you see her on TV, and she can really kick in the afterburners. But usually you equate that with a real neediness for acceptance. I get the impression that Carrie would be totally fine sitting in college studying for some history test."
    Huff also is impressed by Underwood's voice. "Usually, with that range and that kind of pipes, emotionally you're limited to blasting. She also can deal with subtlety. That's what really tweaks my ear."
    Underwood hopes to close on a three-bedroom brick and stucco house near Nashville in two weeks. Until then, she's living out of a hotel. She's not dating — "There's no other anything," she says, "significant or otherwise" — because her schedule hasn't left much time to maintain anything but business relationships.
    "I keep talking like, 'I don't have any friends here! I don't know anybody!' " she says. "But I'm not being a very good friend right now, either. Every time anybody calls me, I'm on a video shoot or I'm in the studio.
    "But it will all happen in due time. I'll have time for a personal life later. Right now, it's down to business."

This is from the website of the guy that is directing Carries video for Jesus Take the Wheel.

http://www.romanwhite.com/

Carrie Underwood
    Posted on Monday 7 November 2005
    Last Friday I spent another GREAT day with Carrie and her crew working on the new video for her fast-rising single “Jesus Takes the Wheel.” Carrie is awesome and just the perfect balance of super sweet and incredibly funny . . . not to mention she’s gorgeous! We shot the video in Watertown, Tennessee at a warehouse owned by Art Directing QUEEN, and great friend, Ruby Guidara. I honestly don’t know what I’ve done in this life to deserve working with such amazingly talented, super fun women!!! The video should be finished up by week’s end and on CMT and GAC soon after. I’ll upload some pics, etc. as soon as the video is completed.
    Carrie’s first album, “Some Hearts” will be released on November 15th. She’s the real deal peeps, so run out and buy at least a dozen copies!!!

Talk about a managemant team that is behind their artist & working for them check out this article. A glimpse from the inside.

'Idol' champ Underwood aims for crossover success

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051112/...underwood_dc_1

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Unlike the winners before her, current "American Idol" champ Carrie Underwood is gunning for success in not only the pop format, but the country arena too.

Thus, Arista Nashville, a division of RCA Label Group, is partnering with 19 Recordings and J Records in New York to promote Underwood's November 15 debut, "Some Hearts."

Underwood already has scored with "Inside Your Heaven," this year's best-selling retail single. The song -- which has sold 434,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan -- topped the Billboard Hot 100 in July because of its strong sales. Now she will try to earn fans on country radio.

"It's a dual approach," says RCA Label Group chairman Joe Galante, who says his Nashville office will handle country radio promotion for Underwood's single "Jesus, Take the Wheel," as well as other marketing and promotion efforts in the country community.

The J Records staff is handling the album's title track for top 40 and adult contemporary radio as well as taking the record to retail. "It's a split effort between the two of us," Galante says.

Underwood is depending on both labels to shepherd her efforts. "They know what they're doing," she says. "I'm a country singer, but because of my exposure on 'American Idol,' I might tend to cross over naturally."

In recording the album, the Checotah, Okla., native, who is buying a home in Nashville, says it was important to "keep things as country as possible."

"Everybody seems to have their arms wide open to me, so that's been great," says Underwood, who admits her first Nashville experience was not so positive. At 15, she was turned down by labels on Music Row.

SERVING TWO MUSICAL MASTERS?

Could the two-format push hurt Underwood in the long run, especially with possessive programmers who tend to want an artist to commit solely to their format?

"My experience is that country gets upset when you take a record to top 40 or AC before you take it to them or if you're working a record simultaneously," Galante says, "but we're not. We're working two separate records."

Arista/J Records executive VP and general manager Tom Corson believes the dual approach will pay off.

"Yes, it's been awhile since an artist has been able to straddle the country and pop formats, but this is an opportunity and a time for radio to serve their audiences, and we have the records," he says. "We see it as an opportunity to reach the broadest possible audience, because very few listeners are totally format-centric in any format. We think we can have a win-win."

"Jesus, Take the Wheel" is off to a great start on country radio, debuting at No. 39 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. It is the first time a newcomer has debuted in the top 40 on that chart with a track from a debut album since Billboard adopted Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems' monitored airplay information as the basis for its radio charts in 1990. The song is No. 23 this week.

UNIVERSAL THEME

"I'm not preaching," Underwood says of the tune. "It's just a beautiful song I figured a lot of people could relate to whether they believe in God or not. Everybody has had a time in their life when they needed help with something."

Galante sees Underwood's "Idol" victory as a win for the country format in general. "There are a lot of people in New York and L.A. who don't recognize the power of the format," he says. "It certainly was evident the night she won."

Underwood is not the first contestant to take the power of "Idol" to country. Former Marine Josh Gracin placed fourth overall in the second season of "Idol" and subsequently signed with Lyric Street Records. His self-titled debut disc has been certified gold and has placed three top five singles on Hot Country Songs, including the No. 1 "Nothin' to Lose."

Reuters/Billboard

Just heard Carrie's latest, "Jesus take the wheel" on the radio & it's awesome!

Here is a link to the review of the Broadway Meets Country show this weekend in NYC. Note the part about Carrie. She is getting so much positive press, it is just a spectacular start to her career. And then there is the album which hits the stands tomorrow. Reports are that they have had an initial shipment of 850,000 units & growing. Looks like multi-platinum is a definite possibility.

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0105/511140330

New venue steals show at genre-crossing event

Broadway meets country just off Central Park

By BRAD SCHMITT
    and PETER COOPER
    Staff Writers

NEW YORK — Ben Vereen did a little soft-shoe — in cowboy boots. Skyscraping Trace Adkins walked slowly to the center of the stage, sat on a stool and poured out his heart in singing My Funny Valentine.
    And 40-plus-year Broadway veteran Marian Seldes struck a regal figure behind a podium and offered a dramatic reading — of Loretta Lynn's You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man).

Saturday night's highly anticipated Broadway Meets Country show had stars from both fields switching roles to offer the week's most unique event. One of the night's early stars was the venue itself, the new Frederick P. Rose Hall, home of Jazz at Lincoln Center. It's a beautiful, intimate 1,200-seat venue with an 80-foot-high glass wall in the back that offers a breathtaking view of Central Park South and Columbus Circle.
    "Pretty nice room," country singer Neal McCoy deadpanned. "A lot nicer room than the ones I'm used to working."
    The performers were working outside their normal comfort zones, so there was some tentativeness on the stage.
    And then there was American Idol winner-turned-country-artist Carrie Underwood, who ab-solutely belted out the duet Suddenly Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors with Broadway star Patrick Wilson. It drew one of the night's rare standing ovations.
    And then there was Tony award winner Adriane Lenox (Doubt), who owned the room with her high-energy funky take on Trisha Yearwood's You Say You Will.
    Country Music Hall of Fame inductee Glen Campbell drew a standing ovation for, well, for being Glen Campbell.
    Vereen offered a nod to his country counterparts with cowboy hat, boots, jeans and a duster for his so-smooth version of King of the Road.
    And Trisha Yearwood and Tony award winner Idina Menzel (Wicked) scored loud cheers with a moving, classy duet on For Good from Wicked. The night's biggest risk came from Trace Adkins, who took a giant leap from his current single Honky Tonk Badonkadonk by sitting his badonkadonk on a stool for My Funny Valentine.
    Raul Malo, who offered two performances, called Adkins' performance his favorite.
    "He was so damn charming. Kudos to him for doing it," Malo said. "It was gutsy."
    The night did have some cheese. Co-hosts Lee Ann Womack and Brian Stokes Mitchell, Tony Award winner for his role in Kiss Me Kate, were reading off a script at night's end when Brian said: "C'mon back, y'all, ya hear?" To which Womack fired back, "Fughgetabotit."
    Womack saved it when, after polite applause, she turned to the audience and said, "Come on! I practiced that all day."
    Cliff Richard's return
    The Broadway event wasn't Saturday night's only surreal show. Over in Greenwich Village, one of England's most popular and enduring recording artists performed at 200-seat venue Joe's Pub: Cliff Richard's manager said it was probably the first time since the 1950s that Richard had played a place so small.
    Richard was a star in Europe before the Beatles, and his 1958 rock 'n' roll hit Move It made him a rival to Elvis Presley in England. His popularity never translated to America, where he had minor hits with Devil Woman and We Don't Talk Anymore in the 1970s but never hit the Yankee Doodle big time.
    Now 65, Richard played to a packed-in industry crowd at Joe's. He was clad in AARP-unapproved leather pants for his hourlong set, and he was backed by a Nashville-based band that included Change The World co-writer Tommy Sims on bass. Richard's new Something's Goin' On album was recorded in Music City.
    Richard said he actually enjoys his lack of renown in America, and he recounted a trip to New York where he walked around as an anonymous tourist, enjoying the freedom. After a while, though, he saw a limo pull up and heard someone hollering, "Cliff! Cliff!"
    "It was the Bee Gees," he said. "The only people in America who knew who I was were The Bee Gees."
    Songwriters having fun
    The Nashville songwriters' shows have been going over very well, in no small part because the songwriters are offering fun banter along with excellent songs.
    Bob DiPiero, host of these sessions, told an audience Saturday night that the sessions had been going so well that Nashville songwriters might stay in NYC. "We're not gonna leave," he said. "We're gonna be like a hair in a biscuit."
    Brett James, co-writer of current Carrie Underwood single Jesus, Take the Wheel, even found some country romanticism from the subways shaking the venue.
    "I like playing a place," he said, "where you feel the rumble of a train going by."
    Related news from the Web
    Latest headlines by topic:
    • Loretta Lynn
    • Lee Ann Womack
    • Country
    • Trisha Yearwood
    • Glen Campbell
    • Trace Adkins